All laptop related queries here!!!

BhargavJ

In the zone
I've ordered the MX500 SSD. I've decided not to clone the current OS installation but to instead do a fresh Win10 install.

This is the first time I'm using an SSD. I've read on the net that it is recommended to keep a few GBs unallocated. Do I need to do that, or is just keeping around 20 GBs (out of 500 GBs) free space enough? Actually I've read that around 10% space should be left free, but that comes to 50 GBs, and that's too much.

I've ordered the MX500 SSD. I've decided not to clone the current OS installation but to instead do a fresh Win10 install.

This is the first time I'm using an SSD. I've read on the net that it is recommended to keep a few GBs unallocated. Do I need to do that, or is just keeping around 20 GBs (out of 500 GBs) free space enough? Actually I've read that around 10% space should be left free, but that comes to 50 GBs, and that's too much.
You got it wrong.

Keep some space free instead of filling it up 95% is what would have been recommended. SSD filled to 95%+ will perform worse, that's how it is, more so in the case of QLC drives. So keeping 20-25GB free in a 500GB SSD is decent.

BhargavJ

In the zone
Search google "ssd recommended to keep a few GBs unallocated" and come back and tell me what you have read.

I already did, and found stuff related to wear levelling and over provisioning and TRIM - stuff I didn't understand.

You got it wrong.

Keep some space free instead of filling it up 95% is what would have been recommended. SSD filled to 95%+ will perform worse, that's how it is, more so in the case of QLC drives. So keeping 20-25GB free in a 500GB SSD is decent.

Thanks. I'll try to keep as much free space as I can.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
MX500 is dram ssd with TLC NAND so even at 95% filled capacity there won't be any noticeable performance drop. This is much more important though for dramless ssd using dynamic SLC cache(aka which varies depending on free space left in ssd) like crucial p2/bx500/crucial p3 etc.
@BhargavJ

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Want to buy a 480/500 GB sata ssd. Any recommendations? Will be buying 2 of them.

Some of which I found

A-DATA Ultimate 480 GB SATA_6_0_gb Solid State Drive (SU650) *amzn.eu/d/hNyxqcu

Crucial BX500 500GB 2.5-inch SATA 3D NAND Internal SSD Upto 550 MB/s *amzn.eu/d/4M5qbqE

Kingston SSDNow A400 480GB Internal Solid State Drive (SA400S37/480GIN) *amzn.eu/d/8Si3hjS

WD Blue, MX500 & 870 evo are the top SATA SSDs.

But if you have a relatively old & weak system, any of those will give a noticeable improvement over HDD for OS. I bought BX500 for a 12 year old PC at my parent's place.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
WD Blue, MX500 & 870 evo are the top SATA SSDs.

But if you have a relatively old & weak system, any of those will give a noticeable improvement over HDD for OS. I bought BX500 for a 12 year old PC at my parent's place.

I need one for core i3 laptop from 2017 and another for core i5 laptop from 2020. Both are running hdd and at this point any ssd will be a boost for that sluggish windows.

I need one for core i3 laptop from 2017 and another for core i5 laptop from 2020. Both are running hdd and at this point any ssd will be a boost for that sluggish windows.
Even BX500 will be a boost for them. If the 2020 laptop is not a gaming/performance oriented laptop, then fine with cheaper SSDs. Although it might have an M.2 NVMe slot, so can use SSD + HDD.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Even BX500 will be a boost for them. If the 2020 laptop is not a gaming/performance oriented laptop, then fine with cheaper SSDs. Although it might have an M.2 NVMe slot, so can use SSD + HDD.
Yes, the i5 has a M.2 2280 slot too. What will be the cheapest and best ssd for it? Actually storage demand is not much. but if something good is available then might as well go with it.

Yes, the i5 has a M.2 2280 slot too. What will be the cheapest and best ssd for it? Actually storage demand is not much. but if something good is available then might as well go with it.
amazon.in/Silicon-Power-256GB-Gen3x4-SP256GBP34A60M28/dp/B07ZGJYLNL

This will suffice. For something better, get WD SN570.

bubusam13

Human
Not sure. They normally provide 3 years warranty but it's written 5 years here.
I know about this brand, EVM. I am using this brand RAM for more than 10 years and they provide 5 years warranty.

www.onlyssd.com/buy/evm-512gb-2242-m-2-sata-ssd-evmm242-512gb/

Last edited:

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Guys i need a new set of RAM, particularly looking for dual rank 16 x 2 3200 mhz sticks for Legion 5 pro.

What I've found so far, Hyper X Impact is the best choice. Any other recommendations.

Guys i need a new set of RAM, particularly looking for dual rank 16 x 2 3200 mhz sticks for Legion 5 pro.

What I've found so far, Hyper X Impact is the best choice. Any other recommendations.
Most 16GB laptop sticks are 1Rx8, I think. So even the cheapest should be fine. The x8 vs x16 has a bigger difference than 2R vs 1R. Jarrod made a video last year comparing different RAM:
youtube.com/watch?v=sZaIibCSHlY

Top Bottom