All laptop related queries here!!!

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
I've been seeing videos about this but I have no experience in these matters, in soldering and all. I'll still give it a second look. The advantage of doing this is that you get original batteries, and it is cheaper, right?
Only issue being, Sometimes brands like Toshiba Lock there BMS board such that once you disconnect the battery i.e. once the input to the BMS goes to 0 volts, and it resets, it needs to be reprogrammed to start functioning normally.

I had tried this with my earlier Toshiba laptop, Luckily it didn't require much machinery to reprogram as it had the serial Rx and Tx exposed so I did that myself with binary from some Russian ftp links.

But in later versions sub 2010 and later, they had removed that possibility too.

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
I've been seeing videos about this but I have no experience in these matters, in soldering and all. I'll still give it a second look. The advantage of doing this is that you get original batteries, and it is cheaper, right?

Ok.
Laptop batteries are always original batteries.
You can buy old laptop batteries 18650 (branded ones) from repair shops too. These are cheaper and original.
Overall the only advantage is that you get better battery life than existing. Because original branded batteries have high costs and finding original one is little difficult.

OrrBitt

Broken In
Only issue being, Sometimes brands like Toshiba Lock there BMS board such that once you disconnect the battery i.e. once the input to the BMS goes to 0 volts, and it resets, it needs to be reprogrammed to start functioning normally.

While searching for the DIY guides for replacing the 18650 cells, I found that this issue was mentioned, so that even if the cells are replaced, since the BMS is locked, the battery won't work.

I think I'll just buy a new battery for now. Later, I could crack open and see if anything can be done about the old battery.

Last edited:

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
While searching for the DIY guides for replacing the 18650 cells, I found that this issue was mentioned, so that even if the cells are replaced, since the BMS is locked, the battery won't work.

I think I'll just buy a new battery for now. Later, I could crack open and see if anything can be done about the old battery.
Many things can be done...
Replacing existing any device AA or AAA batteries with this + TP4056 (battery charger)
Or making anything portable..

invisiblebond

Journeyman
Which one to choose for extended daily usage

DEEPCOOL 140mm blue LED fan rated at 1000 RPM and 46.11 CFM for optimum yet silent cooling
www.amazon.in/Deepcool-Windpal-Mini-Notebook-Cooling/dp/B00F3WTXZ8
-
Amazon Basics Laptop Stand,
www.amazon.in/dp/B0BSXDGL49

Which one to choose for extended daily usage

DEEPCOOL 140mm blue LED fan rated at 1000 RPM and 46.11 CFM for optimum yet silent cooling
www.amazon.in/Deepcool-Windpal-Mini-Notebook-Cooling/dp/B00F3WTXZ8
-
Amazon Basics Laptop Stand,
www.amazon.in/dp/B0BSXDGL49
Stand gives you the same thermal benefit as a good cooling pad in a smaller form factor but using laptop's KB is not comfortable at those high angles where the cooling performance is best. I have a Deepcool X6 & a similar stand.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stand gives you the same thermal benefit as a good cooling pad in a smaller form factor but using laptop's KB is not comfortable at those high angles where the cooling performance is best. I have a Deepcool X6 & a similar stand.
Similar products gave this link, first time seeing such a device.

www.amazon.in/KLIM-Cool-Laptop-cooler-metal/dp/B01G3G3C7M/

Similar products gave this link, first time seeing such a device.

www.amazon.in/KLIM-Cool-Laptop-cooler-metal/dp/B01G3G3C7M/
I have seen this earlier, but in some sub-reddits discussing it, people were saying that mostly the fans of gaming laptops are good enough, just needs air & not be suffocated (which most gaming laptops are when you just keep it on table). My testing with my cooling pad & stand proves this as stand at high angles perform similar to cooling pad while gaming, sometimes I saw the stand being cooler than pad as well, but like 2-3C difference at 85C+ is not statistically significant. Idle temps were usually lower on the pad though.

OrrBitt

Broken In
I got the a replacement battery for Rs. 1600 for my Toshiba laptop. The original battery was Sanyo PA3817U-1BRS, the replacement one is from "Techie" company. It says on the battery that the model number is 3634U and is meant to replace PA3817U-1BAS, PA3819U-1BRS, and PABAS228, but doesn't mention my PA3817U-1BRS. I don't know what BAS and BRS mean, and whether it is important.

It is 10.8V, same as my previous one, but is 43Wh instead of 48Wh. @whitestar_999 had said that the voltage is the important thing, and the voltage shouldn't be more than that of the original battery.

I installed the software BatteryCare and it showed a wear level of 1.66% - on first usage. This means that the battery has been used a bit earlier. Or maybe this is how it is with replacement batteries?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lower Wh means battery capacity is smaller so lesser backup. Wear level of 1.66% on first usage may be an indicator of some initial testing or maybe it is old stock(all batteries deteriorate with time whether used or not).

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
I installed the software BatteryCare and it showed a wear level of 1.66% - on first usage. This means that the battery has been used a bit earlier. Or maybe this is how it is with replacement batteries?
It's fine, that much wear is normal for even newest of batteries. Small testing would've done on it. Wh isn't wattaga rather capacity, so that will vary

OrrBitt

Broken In
I charged it to 100%, then started using it, and it reached 50% after 1 hr and 15 mins, so I thought, wow, this is great, especially for a replacement battery. I shut down the laptop when the battery was at 38%, then started it up later and it showed 37%. Then, about eight minutes later, I got the battery critically low message (6% battery), and at 5%, it shut down on its own.

So, it crashed from somewhere around 35% straight to 6%. Now I don't think it is great. I think I'll have to calibrate the battery to get the exact time it will stay on.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I charged it to 100%, then started using it, and it reached 50% after 1 hr and 15 mins, so I thought, wow, this is great, especially for a replacement battery. I shut down the laptop when the battery was at 38%, then started it up later and it showed 37%. Then, about eight minutes later, I got the battery critically low message (6% battery), and at 5%, it shut down on its own.

So, it crashed from somewhere around 35% straight to 6%. Now I don't think it is great. I think I'll have to calibrate the battery to get the exact time it will stay on.
This is common issue with all old batteries. I have years old mobile models compatible batteries purchased recently which have this exact same issue where till 15-20% they work as expected but then suddenly drop to 2-3% from there. I have similar laptop battery too where I have set critical level of battery to 23% at which point laptop hibernates automatically & afterwards I wouldn't turn on the laptop unless on mains power charging/charged fully.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
Friends, how are TECNO Megabook-T1 series laptops?
Just wanted to know.
Not buying.

Information about it.Just that.

Friends, how are TECNO Megabook-T1 series laptops?
Just wanted to know.
Not buying.

Information about it.Just that.
Not worth it, high priced & small brand, so likely poor after sales.

www.amazon.in/dp/B09R1L73TM
Get this, add extra RAM later, if needed.

Or even better is this OLED laptop:
www.flipkart.com/asus-vivobook-go-15-oled-2023-ryzen-3-quad-core-7320u-8-gb-512-gb-ssd-windows-11-home-e1504fa-lk322ws-thin-light-laptop/p/itma00c7ae7d7ce7?pid=COMGMGXFE9F37AMQ

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
Not worth it, high priced & small brand, so likely poor after sales.

www.amazon.in/dp/B09R1L73TM
Get this, add extra RAM later, if needed.

Or even better is this OLED laptop:
www.flipkart.com/asus-vivobook-go-15-oled-2023-ryzen-3-quad-core-7320u-8-gb-512-gb-ssd-windows-11-home-e1504fa-lk322ws-thin-light-laptop/p/itma00c7ae7d7ce7?pid=COMGMGXFE9F37AMQ
ASUS always ahead in the race.

Guys, what do you think about this model?
amazon.in/HP-Anti-Glare-Graphics-Response-16-n0091AX/dp/B0BSGRKLM5
Maybe you haven't been looking into the market, but 3050Ti at 1L+ was bad even last year. My friend purchased Legion 5 with 5800H + 3060 + QHD panel for 112k about 1.5 years ago for reference.

Even in Omen line, this is a much better choice:
www.amazon.in/HP-7-6800H-Graphics-Response-16-n0079AX/dp/B0BDZ82RKD
GPU performance is similar to 3060/4050 but with 8GB VRAM, almost a 30% performance jump. Display is 100% sRGB. Might get RTX 4060 by sacrificing display & CPU performance with LOQ i5 + 4060. 4060 is another 15-20% faster than 3060.

invisiblebond

Journeyman
I found another Omen for 83,999, but it's sold out.
flipkart.com/dl/hp-omen-ryzen-7-octa-core-6800h-16-gb-512-gb-ssd-windows-11-home-4-graphics-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3050-ti-16-n0091ax-gaming-laptop/p/itm50918b2278e75?pid=COMGHYYKNNVMKAPQ&cmpid=product.share.pp&lid=LSTCOMGHYYKNNVMKAPQTVF
There's one more I'd like your opinion on: the HP Victus with a Ryzen 7 Octa-Core 7840HS. Is it good value for money?
flipkart.com/dl/hp-victus-ryzen-7-octa-core-7840hs-16-gb-512-gb-ssd-windows-11-home-6-graphics-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3050-16-s0095ax-gaming-laptop/p/itm64ae9ddc2dec6?pid=COMGS2XZGZHEJEZG&cmpid=product.share.pp&lid=LSTCOMGS2XZGZHEJEZGXWFBY

Top Bottom