All laptop related queries here!!!

Neo

@SaiyanGoku
I pretty much answered the questions in the template but here ya go :

100k budget, less the better
14-15 inch screen
Usage - development/multimedia/lightgaming - basically 16gigs RAM a light GPU would do

want slim and light and good build quality
kinda settled for Msi Prestige/Modern 14 but idk if anyting else is available

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
@SaiyanGoku
I pretty much answered the questions in the template but here ya go :

100k budget, less the better
14-15 inch screen
Usage - development/multimedia/lightgaming - basically 16gigs RAM a light GPU would do

want slim and light and good build quality
kinda settled for Msi Prestige/Modern 14 but idk if anyting else is available
Slim & light is opposite to a good gaming laptop which seems more suited for your usage. :?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Still if you really can't manage the above then I guess just buy the dual core ryzen 3200u laptop with ssd from one of the four suggestions I gave earlier.

Unfortunately I couldn't buy the Rs 38000 laptop. While available, it was showing undeliverable at my location and also in Surat. Just back luck perhaps.
I think I have another chance now and another day to find a comparable laptop.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
XPS 15 is good but 150k . G14 is also good but idk if available here. theres also this msi gs66 stealth. i'll take whatever comes inder 100k
Are you talking about this one:
*www.flipkart.com/asus-rog-zephyrus...502du-al025t-gaming-laptop/p/itmfhny8fj2utkcq

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not the one but does fit. I think G14 i going to be north of 150k anyway..
Better wait then if you can for Oct sale, by that time availability should be better & with best offers of the year it should get you a good laptop closest to what you are aiming for.

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
XPS 15 is good but 150k . G14 is also good but idk if available here. theres also this msi gs66 stealth. i'll take whatever comes inder 100k
Can you get a laptop from the USA ? I got the Dell XPS 7590 from the US for around 1000 USD last year. That's approximately half of the India's Pricing.

vishu_ka

Broken In
Hi all. I have almost 6 years old Lenovo Z50-70 Laptop with 4 gb RAM which I need help in upgrading by adding 8 gb RAM. After going through lot of tutorials and articles for choosing compatible RAM, I become confused since I can't even determine what kind of RAM I am already having (please refer to attached images).

Please reply following points :
  1. Best compatible additional RAM (hoping for additional 8 gb upgrade).
  2. What is my 4 gb RAM's frequency? 800 MHz or 1600 MHz?
  3. How many RAM slots do I have?
  4. Maximum memory capacity I can upgrade to?
Thanks

CMD results

Untitled.jpg

Crucial Scan

Crucial.jpg

CPU-Z results

CPUz.jpg

Crucial 2.jpg

Laptop RAM pic

IMG_20200622_211210.jpg

Task Manager

Task Mgr.jpg

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Please reply following points :
  1. Best compatible additional RAM (hoping for additional 8 gb upgrade).
  2. What is my 4 gb RAM's frequency? 800 MHz or 1600 MHz?
  3. How many RAM slots do I have?
  4. Maximum memory capacity I can upgrade to?
1. Prices of ram & ssd are increased a lot this year & I don't suggest spending too much on a 6 years old laptop anyway so just get this:
*www.amazon.in/Corsair-Voltage-1600...593022815&sprefix=ddr3+laptop,aps,295&sr=8-26

2. DDR means double data rate so "apparent/manufacturer stated frequency" is double of "actual frequency" & all tools like cpu-z show actual frequency so your ram actual frequency is 800MHz & apparent/manufacturer frequency(the one you will use to buy) is 1600MHz.

3. For that the only definite way to confirm is by opening the laptop.

4. up to 12gb is usually a safe option to consider & every laptop made in last 10 years should support at least 8gb.

sandynator

Cyborg Agent
Hello guys finally I have booked Acer Aspire 7 core i5 with gtx 1650 @ 50500 after hdfc credit card cashback.

Acer Aspire 7 Core i5 9th Gen - (8 GB/512 GB SSD/Windows 10 Home/4 GB Graphics/NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1650) A715-75G-50SA Gaming Laptop Rs.79999 Price in India - Buy Acer Aspire 7 Core i5 9th Gen - (8 GB/512 GB SSD/Windows 10 Home/4 GB Graphics/NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1650) A715-75G-50SA Gaming Laptop Charcoal Black Online - Acer : Flipkart.com

It ticks all my major needs atleast on papers like better battery, decent display, simple looks not too flashy like other gaming laptops, and midrange specs in my opinion.

No hdd slot but can upgrade to 1tb nvme m.2 ssd. I have 1 spare external 1tb hdd which can be managed.

I hope its ok for the price point.
Any pointer which I may have missed?
Opinions from experienced members welcome.

Last edited:

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
How is the After Sales Support for laptops procured from outside?
I haven't faced any issues so far with my laptop. So haven't used After Sales Support. In case of Dell, you need to get their Premium Warranty to get international warranty support. You have to get the Service Tag transferred to India region. When I bought my laptop directly from Dell, that was 50$ add-on. My earlier laptop is also a Dell XPS but from India , and at that time I was happy with their support.

dissel

Cyborg Agent
Hello experts, please let me know if this normal?

I have a laptop which is now 7 years old running i3 fourth gen processor dual core cpu with 8 Gb ram and Windows 10 home edition @ internal 256Gb Samsung SSD with IGP. As this is a old model, so it comes with Optical disc drive which needless to say replaced by the SATA Optical HDD Cady, the problem is whenever I mount this there are 26-40% CPU usage at windows hog by ' svc localhost' ( <--- not sure the name right now) or something. There is no way around it.

In that cady I install, blank HDD 500gb, blank 120gb SSD, ubuntu to the 500gb HDD or ubuntu to the 120gb SSD......In short no matter what that CPU portion is gone if I install any drive in that caddy.

Is there any way around this? Please reply....

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!

I have a laptop which is now 7 years old running i3 fourth gen processor dual core cpu with 8 Gb ram and Windows 10 home edition @ internal 256Gb Samsung SSD with IGP. As this is a old model, so it comes with Optical disc drive which needless to say replaced by the SATA Optical HDD Cady, the problem is whenever I mount this there are 26-40% CPU usage at windows hog by ' svc localhost' ( <--- not sure the name right now) or something. There is no way around it.

In that cady I install, blank HDD 500gb, blank 120gb SSD, ubuntu to the 500gb HDD or ubuntu to the 120gb SSD......In short no matter what that CPU portion is gone if I install any drive in that caddy.

Are you sure the windows 10 iso you used is directly from Microsoft and you've removed bloatware which comes with it?

dissel

Cyborg Agent
Are you sure the windows 10 iso you used is directly from Microsoft and you've removed bloatware which comes with it?

Thanks for the replying,

Yes....The ISO I download from the Microsoft Download Page When I first encounter the problem I thought there must be virus in the system - So I fully formated the system several times from downloaded ISO from MS download page, Once I removed the Caddy it is all gone. Below is the picture of the task manager without the caddy during idle state which is pretty normal......If required I can post the picture with the Cady with drive and the resource hog.

*i.imgur.com/R6FSIKS.png

Product : Robot Check

Edit Update : Below is the picture of the problem of resource hog, Just installed the 500GB Hdd to the caddy and here the result. 500GB Hdd contains no OS installation just some storage media...no boot loader nothing.

*i.imgur.com/aW3SDCz.png

*i.imgur.com/ramBOAG.png

Last edited:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Thanks for the replying,

Yes....The ISO I download from the Microsoft Download Page When I first encounter the problem I thought there must be virus in the system - So I fully formated the system several times from downloaded ISO from MS download page, Once I removed the Caddy it is all gone. Below is the picture of the task manager without the caddy during idle state which is pretty normal......If required I can post the picture with the Cady with drive and the resource hog.

Product : Robot Check
Edit Update : Below is the picture of the problem of resource hog, Just installed the 500GB Hdd to the caddy and here the result. 500GB Hdd contains no OS installation just some storage media...no boot loader nothing.
Post screenshot of details tab as well. It might be possible that Avira is scanning HDD in background because it thinks your laptop is idle.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member

Check your caddy for any "hidden switch" inside the frame. There is a chance that this issue is related to some odd combination of caddy sata circuit incompatibility with optical drive sata port in your laptop. In fact try with the ssd in that caddy & if no issues then let it remain there. Most likely both ports are sata 3(at least they are in my 4th gen i3 laptop) so no difference in using ssd in original hdd place or in optical drive caddy.

dissel

Cyborg Agent
Post screenshot of details tab as well. It might be possible that Avira is scanning HDD in background because it thinks your laptop is idle.

Here the details tab

*i.imgur.com/Fbm8tUk.png
*i.imgur.com/RLzzV4F.png
*i.imgur.com/P2lhAnv.png
*i.imgur.com/YTbAXD3.png
*i.imgur.com/3RO623Z.png
*i.imgur.com/qt5pRw5.png

Top Bottom