here it is

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-07-15-09-06-45-447_in.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-07-15-09-06-45-447_in.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg
    701.4 KB · Views: 111

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess it is one of those rare laptop oem ram because there really isn't any point in making a dual rank 4gb ram unless made for some expensive laptops of that time.

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
First of all I doubt you can buy a good laptop nowadays that can survive 4-5 years without being lucky. Best you can do is buy as much extended warranty as possible. Ssd will help much more than extra 4gb ram.
*www.amazon.in/HP-Pentium-14-inch-W...8609960031&rnid=8609959031&s=computers&sr=1-4

*www.amazon.in/HP-cs0018TU-Light-Pe...8609960031&rnid=8609959031&s=computers&sr=1-5

For more suggestions I suggest creating a separate thread.

I was planning t order these, but they are out of stock. any other suggestions for immediate purchase? Thanks

dissel

Cyborg Agent
another 4700u landed - this is from asus

*www.amazon.in/ASUS-VivoBook-M433IA...a773fd319c8910ad2d053eec0e6d72&language=en_IN

4500u version

*www.amazon.in/ASUS-VivoBook-M433IA...da1cae8a5826915389ce07e88dce85&language=en_IN

Last edited:

dissel

Cyborg Agent
Both highly overpriced, it is almost as if Intel paid Asus & other laptop manufacturers to launch sure to fail overpriced ryzen models.

Looks like until Intel comes with similar Processor Packages i,e 7nm / 6 & 8 Core, till then either Ryzen or The Manufacturer will cash the opportunity by projecting these are performance machine and priced it high (of course COVID crisis boost their confidence) despite this U series laptop with 8GB RAM only able to perform daily task...At this point I'm confident all New Gen U Series be it Intel or AMD must come with Fixed RAM and India will only get 8GB version due to price, at least for this year...though it Apple to Mango comparison Raspberry Pi also comes with 8GB RAM these days.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
why is this model not reflecting in asus website itself. Is this a discontinued model?
In India you won't find many exact models(talking about complete model number) available on online sites/offline stores listed on their sites.e.g.on asus site you will find a general Vivobook category X512(or X512D or X512DA) & that is supposed to cover every possible combination under that series irrespective of whether there is a specific product page for a specific model under that series.

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
Thanks for the huge help it works like charm - I never knew this exists till now - Woh I bought it 3 years ago and finally today now I'm going to use it.
laying dormant since then......
Hey, I installed a similar one in my laptop. the speeds I'm getting out of that are pathetic. Even 1080p video playback stutters while nothing else is running.
What speeds are you getting for transfers ?

Also, is this normal? (slow speeds when connected via a caddy)
P.S. I could easily play 1080p videos off that drive without any stutters before.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey, I installed a similar one in my laptop. the speeds I'm getting out of that are pathetic. Even 1080p video playback stutters while nothing else is running.

P.S. I could easily play 1080p videos off that drive without any stutters before.
Run crystaldiskmark benchmark tool & post the result here. Caddy is just a bridge between laptop sata port & ssd sata port.

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz

Sata port of Optical Drive tend to be older slower one since they don't need a lot of bandwidth or speed. So it is probably why you are getting slower speeds. Check your laptop manual to confirm this.

dissel

Cyborg Agent

Here is the speed from SSD to a HDD (5400rpm) DATA transfer speed below, Max I see 56MB/s
*i.imgur.com/Z0Hld66.png

My usage of this caddy is running Ubuntu budgie from 120GB SSD without disturbing Win10 installation in the internal 250GB SSD. When I boot up from the Caddy never feel any lag/ slowness in terms of speed.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here is the speed from SSD to a HDD (5400rpm) DATA transfer speed below, Max I see 56MB/s
*i.imgur.com/Z0Hld66.png

My usage of this caddy is running Ubuntu budgie from 120GB SSD without disturbing Win10 installation in the internal 250GB SSD. When I boot up from the Caddy never feel any lag/ slowness in terms of speed.
HDD will always be a bottleneck, try to copy some large files(preferably 1gb+) from ssd to ssd to see how much speed you get. Btw you have 2 internal ssd(120gb & 250gb) so how you manage with hdd.

Top Bottom