All laptop related queries here!!!

Night-Rider

Journeyman
Hmmm... Certainly a very good point to ponder over. How is Asus' ASS btw? (No pun intended )

Haha. I had enquired about this as well. Didn't really get bad feedback about the ASS though. Moreover as they have ASUS phones in the market as well so I guess they are going to focus on the service part.

Moreover, at load I see that the 850m goes up to 68 degrees at max for now, so the cooling is good. It's just that the exhaust is at the left side of the laptop I tend to keep my hand near the exhaust and it is uncomfortable as it heats up the fingers. :|

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Haha. I had enquired about this as well. Didn't really get bad feedback about the ASS though. Moreover as they have ASUS phones in the market as well so I guess they are going to focus on the service part.

Moreover, at load I see that the 850m goes up to 68 degrees at max for now, so the cooling is good. It's just that the exhaust is at the left side of the laptop I tend to keep my hand near the exhaust and it is uncomfortable as it heats up the fingers. :|

Meanwhile I am pushing 80-85 degrees on OCed Kepler. Even this is not hot.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Accepted the y50 is the cheapest laptop with an 860m. But to keep the price there, lenovo sure made a compromise in several places. Including a bad screen, bad wlan card, 5400rpm HD which is slow, and removed the dvd . Sure y50 has good external looks but when ppl start talking about replacing a laptop's parts (screen in this case) right after its purchase, that itself screams compromise right?

thats not quite true
first off its FHD display is good i dunno why some people dont like it
the wlan card is bad according to some users but easily replaceable
the 5400rpm drive may be slow but if you see the specs of the laptop,it includes a Caching SSD inside to complement the 5400 spinner making it slower than an SSD setup but faster than a 7200rpm drive
also you can have manufacuring defects with any brand
i myself bought the Dell inspiron 7520 instead of the Lenovo Y500 which my friend bought at the same time
my Dell inspiron has issues with the display already despite people saying Dell quality is the best
my friends Y500 is still working fine
also buying an MSI laptop screams even more compromise given that Lenovo has more service centres than MSI and is a more popular brand so parts for Lenovo will be available more easily
that being said im not saying MSI is a bad buy or Dell laptops are bad but these issues are usually stray and in the end the overall experience is what matters

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Need to save money. Its either the Asus or lenovo. Now which one

Buy Lenovo, import screen for 10k and change it. You'll have the perfect lappy for your budget.

Lenovo Y50 will do an excellent job
+10000 to seamon's suggestion but if you arent sure about changing screen , you can wait it out and change it in future if need be, no problem

- - - Updated - - -

Again. Changing the screen will affect warranty in what way? Am unsure.

It might but the screen wont run away
you can see if you like the screen if you dont ,you always have the option to change in the future :)

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
Lenovo Y50 will do an excellent job
+10000 to seamon's suggestion but if you arent sure about changing screen , you can wait it out and change it in future if need be, no problem

- - - Updated - - -

It might but the screen wont run away
you can see if you like the screen if you dont ,you always have the option to change in the future :)
I read on flipkart an user's review. He states that the colours on the y50 are so flushed out that he couldn't make out the face of a character in a movie even. So screen replacement will be needed I guess.

Now coming to the replacement; as stated I need to get it imported. Now if I were getting into importing anyway why wouldn't I just get a sager imported? The whole point was to skip the import part.

So slightly stepping in the Asus court right now. But still not decided 100%. Thanks for all the suggestions though guys

Let's see if any more options are available before I buy end of December.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I read on flipkart an user's review. He states that the colours on the y50 are so flushed out that he couldn't make out the face of a character in a movie even. So screen replacement will be needed I guess.

Now coming to the replacement; as stated I need to get it imported. Now if I were getting into importing anyway why wouldn't I just get a sager imported? The whole point was to skip the import part.

So slightly stepping in the Asus court right now. But still not decided 100%. Thanks for all the suggestions though guys

Let's see if any more options are available before I buy end of December.

You're gonna feel bad when you realize a GTX 970m in Sager can dish out more than 2x performance at the same cost.

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
You're gonna feel bad when you realize a GTX 970m in Sager can dish out more than 2x performance at the same cost.
I know that dude! If only import duties were lesser. Sigh!
You guys know about any other laptops that come with maxwell 850m but are cheaper than the y50?

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
I don't think so. Clevos are easily the most serviceable laptops. Except proccy and GPU, you can get its parts anywhere.
So after checking on xoticpc, a sager with 860m will come for approx $1000 or 62k (the lowest sager with an 860m)

Plus am guessing import via ppobox will be another 20k. So comes to a total of 80k.

So a custom lappy sans the warranty. That a better option?

Top Bottom