All laptop related queries here!!!

Simplon

Broken In
[rant]

Hate the fact that I cannot find something that is exactly the right fit. Have been vacillating between three laptops for over 3 weeks now.

It's an exercise in frustration, trying to buy a new lappy here.

I am also exactly in the same situation.My needs are also exactly same. I was also looking for alternative for z510 (there's a thread by same name created by me in the forum). The y510p i5 version is not available anywhere (except snapdeal)! Checked in Bangalore, Hyderabad personally in prominent shops, but in vain. The i7 version is also scarce to find and beyond my budget. It is indeed an exercise in frustration and I am afraid the exercise might turn out to be futile as well.
[MENTION=289026]retz[/MENTION] What is the exact model number of the second option. I googled and found it as lenovo ideapad Z50 (Z50-70 59414042), but could not find that one with FHD anywhere.

- - - Updated - - -

A large number of laptops seem to have become slightly more expensive in the past few weeks (eg z510 is upto 50k). Are they going to be coming back down anytime soon? Additionally, is there any new line expected in the market within the next few weeks?

I am also eager to know, whether the i5 variant of Y50 is going to be launched in near future (1 month)? Some one familiar with the market dynamics, please guide us.

- - - Updated - - -

Any chance this one
Lenovo Y50 (59418222) Gaming Laptop Intel Core i5 4200H (2.8GHz) 8GB Memory 1TB HDD 8GB SSD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB 15.6" Windows 8.1 64-Bit be launched in India??

Rahul Kavlekar

Broken In
Recommend me a laptop.Will be using it mostly for AUTOCAD..

1) What is your budget?
-- Strictly below 35k

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
-- Doesn't matter

3) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
-- AUTOCAD and casual gaming

4) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for?
-- Preferably a quad core

5) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
-- open to all the brands

6) Anything else you would like to say?
-- please suggest a laptop only from flipkart..

retz

Broken In
What cheap thermal paste can I buy?

I've got an old laptop I need to use for a few more weeks and want to clean it up a bit and apply some paste. But I don't want to spend more than a few hundred on that. Consequently, I need some cheap but half-decent paste. Which one should I get?

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
What cheap thermal paste can I buy?

I've got an old laptop I need to use for a few more weeks and want to clean it up a bit and apply some paste. But I don't want to spend more than a few hundred on that. Consequently, I need some cheap but half-decent paste. Which one should I get?

If you can get this then get it. It is awesome.
I personally use IC Diamond which cost me nearly 5k.

- - - Updated - - -

PS: Don't get Arctic Silver V inspite of what you may have heard. It's useless for laptops.

retz

Broken In
If you can get this then get it. It is awesome.
I personally use IC Diamond which cost me nearly 5k.

it's out of stock at that site, and around 1k elsewhere. Honestly, I don't really want to spend so much money on this really old laptop that i'll be using more another month max when I finally get a decent replacement. Firstly, I don't think the chip is thermally constrained much - just weak. I just need to replace the paste cause I'm sure it's pretty dry and dead by now.

Ie. Looking for cheap, half decent thermal paste. ~Rs 500.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
it's out of stock at that site, and around 1k elsewhere. Honestly, I don't really want to spend so much money on this really old laptop that i'll be using more another month max when I finally get a decent replacement. Firstly, I don't think the chip is thermally constrained much - just weak. I just need to replace the paste cause I'm sure it's pretty dry and dead by now.

Ie. Looking for cheap, half decent thermal paste. ~Rs 500.

This looks good.

lycan

Broken In
what does terms like ULV, U, M means???? and what minimum should be kept in choosing laptop processor (like 4200U or 4200M)??? is there any hierarchy list of Laptop processors???

retz

Broken In
Still no online presence of the Lenovo FHD sub-50k model. (z50-70 59414042). Any purchased it yet? Found anything bad with it? I'm itching to buy this - waiting for diwali or the return of three year warranty deals before purchase.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
what does terms like ULV, U, M means???? and what minimum should be kept in choosing laptop processor (like 4200U or 4200M)??? is there any hierarchy list of Laptop processors???

ULV CPUs are U only
M series are normal cpus
ULV<<<<<<M series except for one or two i5 and i7 U series which are pretty powerful despite being ULV

retz

Broken In
ULV CPUs are U only
M series are normal cpus
ULV<<<<<<M series except for one or two i5 and i7 U series which are pretty powerful despite being ULV

A ULV i5 (4200U) is pretty much the equivalent of a A10 4800M. Slightly better at some tasks, slightly worse at others, with larger variance in performance due to the ups and downs of the clock speed. Having owned an A10 4800m lappy, I can say that it's powerful enough for everyday tasks. (I've kept ~130 firefox tabs active with an a10 4800m + 16 gb ram.) Consequently, so will the i5.

- - - Updated - - -

ULV CPUs are U only
M series are normal cpus

A ULV i5 (4200U) is pretty much the equivalent of a A10 4800M. Slightly better at some tasks, slightly worse at others, with larger variance in performance due to the ups and downs of the clock speed. Having owned an A10 4800m lappy, I can say that it's powerful enough for everyday tasks. (I've kept ~130 firefox tabs active with an a10 4800m + 16 gb ram.) Consequently, so will the i5.

retz

Broken In
This is not the right forum for the question, but the correct forum is dead, so...

Can somebody recommend a good router with usb for fileshare over wifi? (Only router functionality.) I need something solid that won't get ****ed up every few weeks. I had decided on the Asus rt n13u, but that is unavailable. Right now I'm set on the Netgear WNDR3400 N600, but that is 3400 bucks, and I don't really need a N600 router.

So, any cheaper recommendations? Stability and performance is essential (I torrent a lot) and N300 and USB is minimum. Built in torrent ability would be great. (it should be a standalone router.)

Ps. Say if a router says that is a 3g/4g router, can I still default to using a adsl2+ modem with it? Or is it Only 3g/4g capable?

ravi847

Journeyman
XOTIC PC | Sager NP8268-S (Clevo P150SM-A) - 15.6" Gaming Notebook
Wow those features would cost double of what they are charging in India.
Thanks for help but my friend went ahead and bought hp envy 15-k006tx.

- - - Updated - - -

Guys my amd lappy hp pavilion g6 1318ax is two years old and heats up very much. The idle temps are 65 degree Celsius easy.
Its almost two years old. I used some local thermal paste and also cleaned the laptop fan but it didn't help much.
What do you suggest??
Will buying a good thermal paste make drastic changes to the current temps?

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Wow those features would cost double of what they are charging in India.
Thanks for help but my friend went ahead and bought hp envy 15-k006tx.

- - - Updated - - -

Guys my amd lappy hp pavilion g6 1318ax is two years old and heats up very much. The idle temps are 65 degree Celsius easy.
Its almost two years old. I used some local thermal paste and also cleaned the laptop fan but it didn't help much.
What do you suggest??
Will buying a good thermal paste make drastic changes to the current temps?

It made a difference of nearly 20 degrees in my case.

ravi847

Journeyman
ULV i7 and 840m for 80k :facepalm:

yeah it was a bad choice
I haven't told him yet.
btw its gtx 850m.

- - - Updated - - -

Noctua/Arctic MX 4 are both good.
IC Diamond is the best but out of your budget.
Arctic Silver V is bad.

some questions:-
How much does noctua/arctic mx4 cost?
where can i get it online?
Can they be used with both desktop and laptop processors?
please bear with me :)

Top Bottom