All laptop related queries here!!!

retz

Broken In
I game a bit, mostly indie stuff with the occasional Tomb Raider thrown in. I do program, and use a number of cpu intensive tasks.

What is the cheapest laptop with a decent processor that will allow me to game (on low) modern titles for the next two years?

retz

Broken In
lenovo z50 59414042

FHD screen, 500 gb, 4GB ram, 840m (?), i5 4200u. @ 47k.

Seems like a very very decent buy. Any reason I shouldn't?

sushovan

In the zone
lenovo z50 59414042

i5 4200U + 840 M = bottleneck.

Buy it if you arent into hardcore gaming.

- - - Updated - - -

lenovo z50 59414042

also, Try to confirm from an actual user of that notebook about the screen. Lenovo is known to dupe people by stating HD screens FHD.

retz

Broken In

- - - Updated - - -

also, Try to confirm from an actual user of that notebook about the screen. Lenovo is known to dupe people by stating HD screens FHD.

I'm not. I want something with a low heat profile, that lasts a decent amount of time, that I can multitask (firefox, eclipse, music etc) smoothly, and play the occasional game at mid/low. The huge benefit of the z50 over the z510 is the FHD screen. (It does have FHD, I saw the setting window of the laptop at the showroom.) Also, the Z510 panel is reviewed as being a bit low quality panel, but I think that's a problem with most windows based mid-tier laptops?

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I'm not. I want something with a low heat profile, that lasts a decent amount of time, that I can multitask (firefox, eclipse, music etc) smoothly, and play the occasional game at mid/low. The huge benefit of the z50 over the z510 is the FHD screen. (It does have FHD, I saw the setting window of the laptop at the showroom.) Also, the Z510 panel is reviewed as being a bit low quality panel, but I think that's a problem with most windows based mid-tier laptops?

go ahead.

maverick121

Journeyman
Hi,

Im looking to upgrade my dell vostro 1015(Core 2 Duo).

1) What is your budget?
40,000 Max

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?

My Dell Vostro is Bulky and kind of hard to use.I would prefer a slim and good looking laptop with less weight.
But this is NOT a Major Requirement

3) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Coding(Visual Studio,Netbeans etc),so a bigger screen would be good( 15" Minimum)
I like gaming,play all the latest games on PC,i would like to play newly released games,since i wont have access to my PC all time
Watching Movies,Listening Music

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
Nothing specific.But yes Dell,Lenovo,HP are more common choices.Any other reputed brand will also be good.

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?
Processor-i dont know about the generations (core i3 second gen etc).I would Multi-task a lot so i5 would be my choice(it it fits in my budget)
NVIDIA Graphics would be good(it it fits in the budget)

6) Anything else you would like to say?

A HD or Full HD Display will be great,if it fits in my budget.

What im looking for is a replacement to my PC,since i wont be able to access it everyday.

Please suggest

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
what about Dell Inspiron 15 3537 Laptop (4th Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Ubuntu/ 1GB Graph)

My dad has the 3537 (Touch, Windows 8) and I find it pretty good actually. I don't know about the gaming performance but the battery is awesome(>8 hours). But that battery (probably) makes it very heavy.

retz

Broken In
Is there anything cheaper than the z510 for medium-heavy usage (50-100 tabs, visual studio, word, and the like) that'll still allow me to play the occasional (though very rare)(In the past 2 years of owning an HP&Acer with a decent graphics card, I might have played graphic intensive games for maybe 2 months) modern title? I was all set to shell out 48k for the z510 before realizing (I would rarely use the graphics card and that the display was rather inadequate (bad color reproduction, brightness, etc). Similar issues with the z50.

So, essentially I'm looking for a lappy around 40k~ that I can comfortably use for 2~ years that'll allow me to game when the fancy strikes. Is there anything or should I just shut up and buy the z510?

(Please note, I need something with good thermals. My last laptop had a horrible heating problem and it killed the experience for me.)

(a preloaded windows would be really nice.)

Thanks!

Stay the **** away from z510. The 740m in it is based on gk208 chipset. More here
*forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-Edge-S-series/GK208-GT-740M-in-Edge-E531-and-E431/td-p/1170251

- - - Updated - - -

You can opt for z5070 with 4th gen core i5-4200u and nvidia 840m at 43k. See the notebookcheck of similar configured laptop

- - - Updated - - -

www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-Zenbook-UX32LN-R4053H-Ultrabook-Review.118273.0.html

retz

Broken In
Stay the **** away from z510. The 740m in it is based on gk208 chipset. More here
*forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-Edge-S-series/GK208-GT-740M-in-Edge-E531-and-E431/td-p/1170251
l

Your link doesn't mention that the z510 has the gk208 version.

While the specs of your quoted notebook are quite nice, I'm a bit hesitant about buying a ULV processor given that I'm still unsure of how it performs in the real world (esp. in India where temperature are high and the processor might not turbo boost a lot due to heat.)

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Your link doesn't mention that the z510 has the gk208 version.

While the specs of your quoted notebook are quite nice, I'm a bit hesitant about buying a ULV processor given that I'm still unsure of how it performs in the real world (esp. in India where temperature are high and the processor might not turbo boost a lot due to heat.)

ULVs don;t overheat. They designed to run cool. Meanwhile, they don't perform too well either.

retz

Broken In
ULVs don;t overheat. They designed to run cool. Meanwhile, they don't perform too well either.

I'm not worried about the ULV's overheating... I'm worried that due to high ambient temperatures, when I need the turbo boost, I might not be able to get it (especially if the graphics card is also performing at full capacity.) Additionally, does this processor perform at par with the a10 4600m, as benchmarks seem to indicate? (That was my last processor and I found it's performance for most of my tasks quite good.)

The lenovo edge series came out in jan 2013. So I'm pretty sure z510 uses gk208 chipset. As for the ulv processor the turboboost acts till 87 degree celsius. While gaming for long hours you might need a laptop cooler.

rohitshubham

Ambassador of Buzz
Is there anything cheaper than the z510 for medium-heavy usage (50-100 tabs, visual studio, word, and the like) that'll still allow me to play the occasional (though very rare)(In the past 2 years of owning an HP&Acer with a decent graphics card, I might have played graphic intensive games for maybe 2 months) modern title? I was all set to shell out 48k for the z510 before realizing (I would rarely use the graphics card and that the display was rather inadequate (bad color reproduction, brightness, etc). Similar issues with the z50.

So, essentially I'm looking for a lappy around 40k~ that I can comfortably use for 2~ years that'll allow me to game when the fancy strikes. Is there anything or should I just shut up and buy the z510?

(Please note, I need something with good thermals. My last laptop had a horrible heating problem and it killed the experience for me.)

(a preloaded windows would be really nice.)

Thanks!
If you are not into gaming but rather require a heavy usage i would suggest to avoid ULV ... while good, they are poorer performer than their mobile counterpart. A better GPU will certainly not help to do CPU intensive works like opening 100 tabs or visual studio etc. Moreover 840m is certainly is certainly better performer than 740m so, if you want to game you can go for it but there have been reports of throttling on an ULV processor though not confirmed.
And yeah a SSHD hybrid device will certainly be fast so, everyday operations will be much smoother :)

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

You can opt for z5070 with 4th gen core i5-4200u and nvidia 840m at 43k. See the notebookcheck of similar configured laptop

- - - Updated - - -

www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-Zenbook-UX32LN-R4053H-Ultrabook-Review.118273.0.html
The link you mentioned tells you to avoid GK208 architecture because of 64bit architecture and 840m also has the same bus width.
however various games have shown that the GK208 has performed better than GK107 under various occasions.

Top Bottom