All laptop related queries here!!!

maverick121

Journeyman
Thanks for the reply.The funny thing is that i thought core I5 versions will be quad core ones,since even the budget smartphones nowadays comes with quadcore processors.I checked Lenovo Z510 it features a 4200M.Does all the laptops in this range feature a dual core core i5.

maverick121

Journeyman
[MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION] [MENTION=145143]SaiyanGoku[/MENTION]

Im really confused with buying a Laptop-15.6 inch ,since there are a lot of threads discussing

1366 x 768 Pixel vs 1920x1080

I understand that 1920x1080 resolution will give more workarea by reducing the size of icons and stuff and the images will also appear polished.

And you can mulittask with it.But i presume the windows will be too small and the text will
be small too.Well mulititasking liike that will be too hard with small windows atleast for me.
(coding)
Also i understand that there are issues in browsing some websites,like you need to zoom in.
Plus the net connection here is weak the maximum video quality achievable is 720p

I have this 20 inch 1600X900 Monitor,i find it good enough and cannot find much differences
with my laptop screen which is 1366 x 768 unless i sit closely and look for the pixels.
And i find this resolution pretty good for what i do.

The Full HD Models costs way too much and 1600X900 ones are limited and too costly(out of my budget) -50,000 max

Can someone having a 15.6 Lap with Full HD Screen post photos of the screen with 2 applications
so that i can understand the difference.

Thoughts please

rohitshubham

Ambassador of Buzz
Thanks for the reply.The funny thing is that i thought core I5 versions will be quad core ones,since even the budget smartphones nowadays comes with quadcore processors.I checked Lenovo Z510 it features a 4200M.Does all the laptops in this range feature a dual core core i5.
More or less yes... But most are ulv CPU's instead of regular mobile one.... But they are underpowered than their other mobile counterpart

retz

Broken In
So, I've pretty much settled on a Z50 (Z50-70 59414042) model (4200U, 840m, 500 gb, 1080p screen). The only drawback is this:

1) I cannot find the model's exact specification on ANY website, be it lenovo india or worldwide. When I call the lenovo call center, they have no idea at all wtf I'm talking about. Consequently, I don't know:
a) What kind of screen it is and how good it is. If it's IPS or something else?
b) If there is any issue with the lappy (I don't know if I can trust the other z50 reviews I've read.)

I like the laptop, but I'm sort of wary that maybe some inferior product is being dumped into the Indian market. So far, this seems to be a showroom only product, being unavailable at flipkart, thedotstore, or in the product sheets of lenovo reps. The people in the showroom say that it's less than a month old.

What do you guys think I should do? Purchase it, or wait for it to be found online, maybe in some review or something?

Ps. Regardless of what the rep says, I should be able to purchase a caddy and install the harddrive in the optical drive's place, right?

PPS. Here is the speccy sheet for the laptop. *app.box.com/s/y14cz4mi8wq1lm177we7
Why does it show the current resolution as 1536x864 when the resolution was actually 1920x1080?

PPs. Did the prime95 test on it. Decent performance. Bus multiplier went up to 20~ with a core temp of around 50C~.

vito scalleta

In the zone
So, I've pretty much settled on a Z50 (Z50-70 59414042) model (4200U, 840m, 500 gb, 1080p screen). The only drawback is this:

1) I cannot find the model's exact specification on ANY website, be it lenovo india or worldwide. When I call the lenovo call center, they have no idea at all wtf I'm talking about. Consequently, I don't know:
a) What kind of screen it is and how good it is. If it's IPS or something else?
b) If there is any issue with the lappy (I don't know if I can trust the other z50 reviews I've read.)

I like the laptop, but I'm sort of wary that maybe some inferior product is being dumped into the Indian market. So far, this seems to be a showroom only product, being unavailable at flipkart, thedotstore, or in the product sheets of lenovo reps. The people in the showroom say that it's less than a month old.

What do you guys think I should do? Purchase it, or wait for it to be found online, maybe in some review or something?

Ps. Regardless of what the rep says, I should be able to purchase a caddy and install the harddrive in the optical drive's place, right?

PPS. Here is the speccy sheet for the laptop. *app.box.com/s/y14cz4mi8wq1lm177we7
Why does it show the current resolution as 1536x864 when the resolution was actually 1920x1080?

PPs. Did the prime95 test on it. Decent performance. Bus multiplier went up to 20~ with a core temp of around 50C~.

did u call them thru phone or chat ?
I have contacted lenovo sales rep thru chat on their site and it proved to be helplful more than once .

and yes you should be able to replace the ODD with a harddrive .. i have a y510p which has a odd similiar to the one i see in z50 (pics from google).
I found a good caddy that fit my 1tb hdd perfectly on ebay for rs.700. so i guess u can too..

retz

Broken In
did u call them thru phone or chat ?
I have contacted lenovo sales rep thru chat on their site and it proved to be helplful more than once .

and yes you should be able to replace the ODD with a harddrive .. i have a y510p which has a odd similiar to the one i see in z50 (pics from google).
I found a good caddy that fit my 1tb hdd perfectly on ebay for rs.700. so i guess u can too..

I called them. Sales as well as technical support. Nobody had a clue.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure of that too, but for some reason the salespeople are saying it can't be done.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would suggest you to hold your horses until you find some more hard infos on the model. May be it's one of lenovo's test sample which is not meant for sale like ES cpus.

retz

Broken In
I would suggest you to hold your horses until you find some more hard infos on the model. May be it's one of lenovo's test sample which is not meant for sale like ES cpus.

+1
Atlleast wait for some reviews to know about build quality and battery backup.

Yeah. I've been on hold for about 10 days now and plan to do that until I find something just right. Purchased a lappy a bit hastily last year and suffered horrible heat issues. Never again.

Imperial_Raj

Broken In
Hi guys. I need a laptop for college usage, coding and casual gaming. Suggestions please!

1) What is your budget?
-- Preferably below INR 80k

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
-- Doesn't matter (Although I'd prefer a Numpad)

3) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
-- Mentioned earlier but still, college usage, coding and casual gaming

4) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for?
-- Nope

5) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
-- All's good until it serves the purpose, though I'd stay away from Acer

6) Anything else you would like to say?
-- Screen resolution 1080p (Full HD) is mandatory
-- Battery back up -- Must be decent, 4+ hours, because in college it'd mostly be connected to the WiFi network and I'll need the battery backup
-- Purchase place -- Local (Lucknow or Delhi) or Abroad (Riyadh, my Dad's there)
-- Also, keyboard backlight is a must (Backlight colour doesn't matter, though)

I have shortlisted the Asus N550JK/JV and the Dell Inspiron 15 7537, although suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks.

Last edited:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Hi guys. I need a laptop for college usage, coding and casual gaming. Suggestions please!

1) What is your budget?
-- Preferably below INR 80k

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
-- Doesn't matter (Although I'd prefer a Numpad)

3) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
-- Mentioned earlier but still, college usage, coding and casual gaming

4) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for?
-- Nope

5) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
-- All's good until it serves the purpose, though I'd stay away from Acer

6) Anything else you would like to say?
-- Screen resolution 1080p (Full HD) is mandatory
-- Battery back up -- Must be decent, 4+ hours, because in college it'd mostly be connected to the WiFi network and I'll need the battery backup
-- Purchase place -- Local (Lucknow or Delhi) or Abroad (Riyadh, my Dad's there)
-- Also, keyboard backlight is a must (Backlight colour doesn't matter, though)

I have shortlisted the Asus N550JK/JV and the Dell Inspiron 15 7537, although suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks.

+1 to Lenovo y50

Imperial_Raj

Broken In
Check out some reviews. Lenovo reduced power consumption and battery capacity.
Thanks! Just did so and was I shocked! Battery life is so much improved.
The screen however looks uninspiring, considering the fact that I'm getting a touch IPS panel on the Asus N550JK/JV. Screen seems to be the only thing pulling me back from confidently going for the Y50.
Thoughts?

Last edited:

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Thanks! Just did so and was I shocked! Battery life is so much improved.
The screen however looks uninspiring, considering the fact that I'm getting a touch IPS panel on the Asus N550JK/JV.
Thoughts?

You gotta compromise on something for performance+value for money.

retz

Broken In
[rant]

Hate the fact that I cannot find something that is exactly the right fit. Have been vacillating between three laptops for over 3 weeks now.

1) z510 - bad screen, inbuilt battery, low battery life. everything else seems good.
2) z50-70 (4042) - great screen (FHD), weak processor (4200u), absolutely no mention on the interwebs. Motheroard also has 1x3.0 usb rather than 2, which is almost a norm. 3/4 cell battery, but supposedly decent life. (4-5hrs).
3)y510p (i5) - everything seems quite decent (except battery life, which is only Ok), but I'm paying a premium for a gpu I know i'll barely use. Gaming is <1% of the time.

Don't mind paying upto 60k, but just unable to find a decent balance between 1) FHD or 900p screen 2) decent processor and gpu 3) good thermals 4) battery life. There are like just 120 haswell model laptops in the indian market (going by flipkart), which given how long that cpu has been out is pretty ****ing sad. And far too many of them compromise too readily - cpu saves battery? Cut the cell count in half and pretend that's normal. Let's give them the crappiest 768p panel on $1000 laptop (looking at you Dell).

And those fking chicklet keyboards. (Do some user testing Lenovo. seriously.) (I typically write a few thousand words a day.)

It's an exercise in frustration, trying to buy a new lappy here.

ARP

Broken In
[rant]

Hate the fact that I cannot find something that is exactly the right fit. Have been vacillating between three laptops for over 3 weeks now.

1) z510 - bad screen, inbuilt battery, low battery life. everything else seems good.
2) z50-70 (4042) - great screen (FHD), weak processor (4200u), absolutely no mention on the interwebs. Motheroard also has 1x3.0 usb rather than 2, which is almost a norm. 3/4 cell battery, but supposedly decent life. (4-5hrs).
3)y510p (i5) - everything seems quite decent (except battery life, which is only Ok), but I'm paying a premium for a gpu I know i'll barely use. Gaming is <1% of the time.

Don't mind paying upto 60k, but just unable to find a decent balance between 1) FHD or 900p screen 2) decent processor and gpu 3) good thermals 4) battery life. There are like just 120 haswell model laptops in the indian market (going by flipkart), which given how long that cpu has been out is pretty ****ing sad. And far too many of them compromise too readily - cpu saves battery? Cut the cell count in half and pretend that's normal. Let's give them the crappiest 768p panel on $1000 laptop (looking at you Dell).

And those fking chicklet keyboards. (Do some user testing Lenovo. seriously.) (I typically write a few thousand words a day.)

It's an exercise in frustration, trying to buy a new lappy here.

Wait for the release of MSI gp60 with core i5 4200m, 8gb ,840m and a great FHD display (coming soon)

retz

Broken In
Wait for the release of MSI gp60 with core i5 4200m, 8gb ,840m and a great FHD display (coming soon)
If it's priced less than 60k, I would love it. Otherwise, I think the y510p will have to do (if it's in stock till then.) Any idea what sort of time-frame are we looking at? Days? Weeks? Month?

retz

Broken In
A large number of laptops seem to have become slightly more expensive in the past few weeks (eg z510 is upto 50k). Are they going to be coming back down anytime soon? Additionally, is there any new line expected in the market within the next few weeks?

Top Bottom