All laptop related queries here!!!

tech-layman

I'm techy ;)
Thnx.

The laptop cost me INR55000, however my friends say that I could have got it for less (MRP is 57990). It is a superb laptop. Great finish, decent in weight, superb in performance, thnx to i5 and nVidia GT330M, 4GB DDR3 RAM. Build quality is good. It is not as sleek as you would expect sony to be but is sweet, and has a decent weight of 2.4kgs, but that is not a matter for me. In short this is a great pack containing performance and affordability.

codename_romeo

Romeo + Lucifer = ME
Thnx.

The laptop cost me INR55000, however my friends say that I could have got it for less (MRP is 57990). It is a superb laptop. Great finish, decent in weight, superb in performance, thnx to i5 and nVidia GT330M, 4GB DDR3 RAM. Build quality is good. It is not as sleek as you would expect sony to be but is sweet, and has a decent weight of 2.4kgs, but that is not a matter for me. In short this is a great pack containing performance and affordability.
dude can you give some benchmarks in real games and battery life details would be highly appreciated. i am interested in this laptop too.....

tech-layman

I'm techy ;)
The WEI rating is 5.8 and I'm able to play Crysis at medium settings comfortably and at high settings it hiccups a bit. I know that 3DMark, PCMark, whetstone are some good benchmarks, but in what reliable sources can I find them?

The battery life goes around 5hrs when in pover saver mode and lowest brightness. In balanced mode it is around 2 hours.

Also I had a few queries:
1. Does windows decides for itself whether to install a programme in Programme files(x86) {for 32 bit programmes} and Programme files {for 64 bit ones}? How does it affects if I install in the wrong folder?

2. What problems can one face if he installs programmes (especially, games and educational like MATLAB and Autodesk Inventor) in drives other than C:/ ?

3. Which is the best software for registry repair?

Last edited:

codename_romeo

Romeo + Lucifer = ME
The WEI rating is 5.8 and I'm able to play Crysis at medium settings comfortably and at high settings it hiccups a bit. I know that 3DMark, PCMark, whetstone are some good benchmarks, but in what reliable sources can I find them?

The battery life goes around 5hrs when in pover saver mode and lowest brightness. In balanced mode it is around 2 hours.

Also I had a few queries:
1. Does windows decides for itself whether to install a programme in Programme files(x86) {for 32 bit programmes} and Programme files {for 64 bit ones}? How does it affects if I install in the wrong folder?

2. What problems can one face if he installs programmes (especially, games and educational like MATLAB and Autodesk Inventor) in drives other than C:/ ?

3. Which is the best software for registry repair?

1.some programs do not have separate setups for 64bit os, while some have separate setups for 32 bit and 64 bit os. adobe, nero and kmp have same setup for both versions, while daemon tools and like have separate setups for 32bit and 64 bit.

2. if you are using a licensed version then no problems. using a p version, then better stick to every syllable in the read me text file included. no problems as such when installing in c drive. but yeah i remember once when i screwed up while installing a p version of matlab i had to recover the os before i could install it correctly. os never had any other problem though.

3. have used tune up utilities and its pretty good at the job.

you have the standard battery or large battery ? 6 cell or 9 cell battery ?
does the laptop come with driver disc or not ie companion dvd ?
is the laptop loaded with bloatware ? i mean how many useless things?

Last edited:

tech-layman

I'm techy ;)
6 cell battery

no there r no dvds, we have to create them ourselves using the restore and recovery software.

yes there r some softwres that we don't exactly need. the list is provided in the sony's site itself, at the bottom of the page. Some r the recovery softwares, while the others aren't of much use! however the dock, called the vaio gate is great.

codename_romeo

Romeo + Lucifer = ME
Cool so there is no driver dvd to be precise.....
that isnt a good news because if we want to do a fresh install , literally we cannot do it. Have to find a way around to do that........
Anyways congrats on your great buy....... its good value for money. Where did you buy it from sony world or some other shop???

rajeshjsl

AskRajesh
Looking for a gaming and multimedia laptop between under 50k

which one you people suggest ?

donno which one to get hp or dell ?
i want more performance in gaming and video conversion , multimedia , etc .

what about dell studio 15 and acer 5740 ??

and please tell me a good deal available in bangalore (me new here) .

Last edited:

tech-layman

I'm techy ;)
Cool so there is no driver dvd to be precise.....
that isnt a good news because if we want to do a fresh install , literally we cannot do it. Have to find a way around to do that........
Anyways congrats on your great buy....... its good value for money. Where did you buy it from sony world or some other shop???

I got the laptop from a computer shop. The sony world guys don't give ANY DISCOUNTS:-(

codename_romeo

Romeo + Lucifer = ME
Some shop in my city offered me this laptop at 55k, thats the cheapest i could find...... Sony world people arent giving any discount..... thanks for all the info

Can any one tell me how to install Windows XP SP3 on Dell Studio 15?
I have recently purchased Dell Laptop.
*configure.ap.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=s541033in8&c=in&l=en&s=dhs&cs=indhs1

Config:-

Intel® Core™ i3-350M Processor (2.26Ghz, 4 Threads, 3M cache)
Windows® 7 Home Premium 64bit
15.6 " Full HD(1080p)WLED (1920 x 1080)Display with TrueLife™
4GB (2GBx2) 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM (Work at 1066MHz for Intel Arrandale CPU)
320GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570
Integrated Stereo Sound with Subwoofer
Dell 1520 Wireless-N Card
Dell(TM) Wireless 365 Bluetooth Module

Where can i find all drivers for Windows XP???
I have already formated the HDD(320GB) into 3 partitions(25, 25 ,270)
When i try to boot from Win XP CD ...i get Blue Screen...
I want to install Win XP...
Please Help!!!!

Last edited:

dubey.vibhu

Good to be among u all..
Hello Guys,

I want to buy a laptop in the range of rupees 22000/- to 28000/- maximum. Please suggest the best performer brand in this range.

Kindly tell me the best one between Compaq and Acer..

I would like to have Windows 7 or Vista installed..

The necessities are as under:-

1. Good Processor Speed(Core 2 Duo is desirable)
2. Good RAM (Min 2 GB)
3. Screen size (Atleast 14 inch ...15 inch is desirable)
4. Minimum 2-3 USB Ports
5. Nice Speakers
6. Minimum 250GB Hard Disk
7. DVD Writer
8. Webcam
9. Microphone
10. HDMI Ports
11. Wireless LAN 802.11b/g
12. High speed 56K modem
13. Memory card reader
14. Nice Battery life

Additional things(better if included) :-

1. Graphics Card

Any recommendation would be highly appreciated..

Thanks in advance..

codename_romeo

Romeo + Lucifer = ME
At that price range I guess expecting a card ain't justified. Anyways had bought a laptop for my sister at 30k couple of months back. It was a compaq model without os. Core2duo 2.0 ghz , 2 gb ram ddr2, 320 gb hdd. Card reader and wifi are standard features. Don't remember whether it had hdmi port or not. But over all a good buy. If you can extend it till 30k I would suggest check the offering from Dell. They are better value for money. But generally range between 30 to 35k.

tech-layman

I'm techy ;)
Hello Guys,

I want to buy a laptop in the range of rupees 22000/- to 28000/- maximum. Please suggest the best performer brand in this range.

Kindly tell me the best one between Compaq and Acer..

I would like to have Windows 7 or Vista installed..

The necessities are as under:-

1. Good Processor Speed(Core 2 Duo is desirable)
2. Good RAM (Min 2 GB)
3. Screen size (Atleast 14 inch ...15 inch is desirable)
4. Minimum 2-3 USB Ports
5. Nice Speakers
6. Minimum 250GB Hard Disk
7. DVD Writer
8. Webcam
9. Microphone
10. HDMI Ports
11. Wireless LAN 802.11b/g
12. High speed 56K modem
13. Memory card reader
14. Nice Battery life

Additional things(better if included) :-

1. Graphics Card

Any recommendation would be highly appreciated..

Thanks in advance..

Just check out Acer. They have a few good models to offer at this price. In fact you'll also get 56K modem in it unlike other brands. Since the site is not up now I can't tell u the model no. but at this price I'm sure you'll get something you want

@ codename_romeo: you'll be glad to know that Sony has recently made the drivers available at its site and that too both for Win XP and Win 7 64-bit. Just check it out at-
*www.sony.co.in/support/download/product/vpccw26fg/modelfirst

Last edited:

codename_romeo

Romeo + Lucifer = ME
Yeah have downloaded those drivers and win 7 home premium 64bit from microsoft.....
most probably going to buy the laptop tomorrow, so have already prepared myself for a fresh install . And check ur inbox have pmed u about your graphics problem.....hope the trick works

Yeah have downloaded those drivers and win 7 home premium 64bit from microsoft.....
most probably going to buy the laptop tomorrow, so have already prepared myself for a fresh install . And check ur inbox have pmed u about your graphics problem.....hope the trick works

how did you download win 7 hp 64bit, where's the link?did you buy it?
as I have notebook win7 32 bit, want to upgrade to 64bit.

me_chirag

Broken In
I am planning to buy Dell Studio 15 but confused about which processor to opt ?
can anyone give suggestion with reasons. My basic use is for Development Purpose. No Hardcore gaming....

options i hv :

Intel® Core™ i5-540M Processor (2.53GHz, 4 Thread, turbo boost up to 3.06GHz, 3M cache)

or

Intel® Core™ i7-720QM (1.6GHz, 4 Cores/8 Threads, turbo up to 2.8 GHz, 6MB Cache)

codename_romeo

Romeo + Lucifer = ME
how did you download win 7 hp 64bit, where's the link?did you buy it?
as I have notebook win7 32 bit, want to upgrade to 64bit.

If you want to upgrade to 64 bit from 32 bit you need to buy it from some shop or windows, i mean microsoft.

I downloaded the microsoft home premium 64 bit iso from microsoft, the link was given somewhere in notebook review forum, and i am planning to use the serial key given below my laptop

---------- Post added at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 PM ----------

I am planning to buy Dell Studio 15 but confused about which processor to opt ?
can anyone give suggestion with reasons. My basic use is for Development Purpose. No Hardcore gaming....

options i hv :

Intel® Core™ i5-540M Processor (2.53GHz, 4 Thread, turbo boost up to 3.06GHz, 3M cache)

or

Intel® Core™ i7-720QM (1.6GHz, 4 Cores/8 Threads, turbo up to 2.8 GHz, 6MB Cache)

Higher is always better , but then its not about better always, rather its about what you actually need......

Top Bottom