All laptop related queries here!!!

Gollum

Collector
Thanks, I had the same fear of it, but as I was reading in some articles that OLED tech nowadays has grown resistant to the Burn-in issues, I was getting confused.
Still the configurable models I was seeing in Lenovo, though the difference in Price from IPS to OLED was only a few thousands, all OLED screens were Glossy as well, no Matt or Anti-glare. I can skip on the additional 3Y warranty as I wanted to get it only for OLED, but as you say, it'd have been pointless in that case.
So I'll go with IPS itself as I wanna use it for at least next 5 years.
One such model in my mind now - *www.lenovo.com/in/en/p/laptops/ideapad/ideapad-500-series/lenovo-ideapad-pro-5i-gen-9-(14-inch-intel)/83d2cto1wwin1
I would avoid Lenovo unless it's an expensive model. Get a screen with either 8bit panel or 100%srgb coverage.

ezio16

Journeyman
@omega44-xt
Thanks. Really, Ryzen 7840U is indeed a very good one compared to U7 155H, but HP has a history of bad hinges and I was told to avoid them, that's why didn't even bother to look into HP models.
I'll wait till the sale for sure.

ezio16

Journeyman
I would avoid Lenovo unless it's an expensive model. Get a screen with either 8bit panel or 100%srgb coverage.
Okay sure, i'll search further.
I went with Lenovo as only their models had many customization options and price was lesser than other brands.
Man, shortlisting the laptop is so hard with the options now, that's why Lenovo's customization was a bit satisfying to fit our needs.
I wish Framework laptops were available in India.

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
our experience is entirely different. sister is using a lenovo (rs.24000) having intel n series cpu 4gb ram for over 6 years. i added a sdd some 3 years back. it worked fine till 6 months back when it started some issue with many keys.

Gollum

Collector
our experience is entirely different. sister is using a lenovo (rs.24000) having intel n series cpu 4gb ram for over 6 years. i added a sdd some 3 years back. it worked fine till 6 months back when it started some issue with many keys.
[Begin longpost]I always tell my friends that in the end these devices are just machines. They will either work fine for years or give problems from the start.

For the same reason you mentioned, I bought my wife a Lenovo laptop a few years ago. It's plastics are much more stronger than the hp but it has a terrible IPS screen.
To her its perfectly fine but I cannot unsee the backlight bleed, the 1 soldered RAM, the inability of the m.2 slot to run sata SSD, mobile phone like charger with a 1mt wire.

In comparison, my hp has no backlight bleed, 2 user accessible ram slots, m.2 that can run both nvme and sata and an AC adapter that can be connected to the other room.

Both laptops are 7 years old now. Both work. Both have the same CPU. Only one works much faster than the other and has a more capacity. You can take a guess which one.

I would suggest you to check the lenovo website for a service guide for the model of laptop you have narrowed down. It will help you understand it's upgrade capability and repairabilty.
[End long post]

Last edited:

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
[Begin longpost]I always tell my friends that in the end these devices are just machines. They will either work fine for years or give problems from the start.

For the same reason you mentioned, I bought my wife a Lenovo laptop a few years ago. It's plastics are much more stronger than the hp but it has a terrible IPS screen.
To her its perfectly fine but I cannot unsee the backlight bleed, the 1 soldered RAM, the inability of the m.2 slot to run sata SSD, mobile phone like charger with a 1mt wire.

In comparison, my hp has no backlight bleed, 2 user accessible ram slots, m.2 that can run both nvme and sata and an AC adapter that can be connected to the other room.

Both laptops are 7 years old now. Both work. Both have the same CPU. Only one works much faster than the other and has a more capacity. You can take a guess which one.

I would suggest you to check the lenovo website for a service guide for the model of laptop you have narrowed down. It will help you understand it's upgrade capability and repairabilty.
[End long post]
we have no brand preference because as said earlier, device experience is good for lenovo and service experience of one hp service center is good for a compaq laptop of someone used for some 2 years (in 2008) and overall experience of device as well as service of dell used by a close friend. thanks. last time @whitestar_999 suggested a intel based lenovo which i got expecting a 3 year stint max. this time @omega44-xt is suggesting a hp which again i will get expecting a 3 year stint max. thanks friend.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Any chances of consumer laptops getting oculink port in near future?
With Nvidia nerfing laptop GPUs, I think getting something on mid to low end to save costs and then getting oculink dock with a good GPU would be the best approach IMO for gaming laptops.

Any chances of consumer laptops getting oculink port in near future?
With Nvidia nerfing laptop GPUs, I think getting something on mid to low end to save costs and then getting oculink dock with a good GPU would be the best approach IMO for gaming laptops.
First time I'm hearing about it, so likely no is the answer

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
*in.store.asus.com/rog/gaming-laptop-rog-zephyrus-g14-ga402nj-l8094ws.html

• Processor: 7000 Series, AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS Mobile Processor (8-core/16-thread, 16MB L3 cache, up to 4.7 GHz Max Boost)
  • Memory: 16GB DDR5 RAM (8GB DDR5 on board + 8GB DDR5-4800 SO-DIMaM) expandable upto 24GB using 1x SO-DIMM slot
  • Storage: 512GB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD
  • Graphics: MUX Switch 6GB GDDR6 NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Laptop GPU (ROG Boost: 1782MHz* at 95W (1732MHz Boost Clock+50MHz OC, 80W+15W Dynamic Boost)* || *The testing conditions were set in a laboratory environment with a controlled ambient temperature of 25±2°C. Results were obtained by testing with FurMark. Real world performance may vary.)
  • Display: 35.56cm (14) QHD+ (2560 x 1600, WQXGA) Anti-glare display || 16:10 Aspect Ratio || 165Hz Refresh Rate || 500nits Brightness || 3ms Response Time (G2G) || ROG Nebula Display
For Rs 94,990.

Thoughts on this @omega44-xt ?

I liked the thin and light build of the laptop.

• Processor: 7000 Series, AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS Mobile Processor (8-core/16-thread, 16MB L3 cache, up to 4.7 GHz Max Boost)
  • Memory: 16GB DDR5 RAM (8GB DDR5 on board + 8GB DDR5-4800 SO-DIMaM) expandable upto 24GB using 1x SO-DIMM slot
  • Graphics: MUX Switch 6GB GDDR6 NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Laptop GPU (ROG Boost: 1782MHz* at 95W (1732MHz Boost Clock+50MHz OC, 80W+15W Dynamic Boost)* || *The testing conditions were set in a laboratory environment with a controlled ambient temperature of 25±2°C. Results were obtained by testing with FurMark. Real world performance may vary.)
  • Display: 35.56cm (14) QHD+ (2560 x 1600, WQXGA) Anti-glare display || 16:10 Aspect Ratio || 165Hz Refresh Rate || 500nits Brightness || 3ms Response Time (G2G) || ROG Nebula Display
For Rs 94,990.

If you really want a 14" gaming laptop, ok deal. Performance is very bad compared to R7 7840HS + 4060 laptops.

Nerevarine

Incarnate

For Rs 94,990.

Dont fall for this trap, only consider this if you walk around A LOT carrying your laptop.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
If you really want a 14" gaming laptop, ok deal. Performance is very bad compared to R7 7840HS + 4060 laptops.
Dont fall for this trap, only consider this if you walk around A LOT carrying your laptop.
Guess will manage then.
Ignoring Size and weight, any suggestions for something from asus which has R7 with RTX3050/4050? I need a basic GFX card to run YOLO programs only, I dont game. For CPU I would prefer R7 and upgradeable ram upto 32 GB.

How are Intel 13th gen chips doing? Any recommendations from there?

Would only be buying asus as I have some coupons for it. Suggest in the budget range 80-90K.

Would buy offline by the end of next week.

Guess will manage then.
Ignoring Size and weight, any suggestions for something from asus which has R7 with RTX3050/4050? I need a basic GFX card to run YOLO programs only, I dont game. For CPU I would prefer R7 and upgradeable ram upto 32 GB.

How are Intel 13th gen chips doing? Any recommendations from there?

Would only be buying asus as I have some coupons for it. Suggest in the budget range 80-90K.

Would buy offline by the end of next week.
Find R7 7840HS LOQ with 3050 or 4050 under 80k (latter is much better):
www.amazon.in/Lenovo-Powered-7840HS-350Nits-82XT004HIN/dp/B0CR1J1ML9

Better build:
www.flipkart.com/lenovo-legion-slim-5-ai-powered-amd-ryzen-7-octa-core-7840hs-16-gb-512-gb-ssd-windows-11-home-6-graphics-nvidia-geforce-rtx-4050-16aph8-gaming-laptop/p/itm244a900efce6a?pid=COMGSVFE3SQMGPVZ

On sale HP Omen 7840HS + 4060 was 90k before 15 Aug. Avoid Intel 13th & 14th gen, might have same issues as desktop ones. Intel hid the issue in desktop parts for so long.

Top Bottom