All laptop related queries here!!!

vivek.virgo

Journeyman
So check if the screen is an IPS or TN panel.
What about Dell? They mention WVA as panel type even for 16-inch model costing 73k while others do reveal actual panel type. They mean Wide Viewing Angle as per some search results. Will their tech support say whether it's IPS or not?

Update: Dell uses IPS as well as TN but label both as WVA

Last edited:

Gollum

Collector
What about Dell? They mention WVA as panel type even for 16-inch model costing 73k while others do reveal actual panel type. They mean Wide Viewing Angle as per some search results. Will their tech support say whether it's IPS or not?

Update: Dell uses IPS as well as TN but label both as WVA
That update songs worrysome. I had the same doubt. So I went to the store and checked the display myself.
IPS displays will look fine from any extreme angle. TN will have the negative film roll effect.

toshar

New to this forum
Hi All
I am selling my i7 4770, 16GB DDR3, 1070ti 8 GB Desktop computer. Looking for a comparable laptop for all kind of purpose - Gaming and little CAD Software. I relocate yearly to different countries and even in different states of India for work purpose and don't want to carry my desktop PC along further. Its old anyways now. Requesting you all to please suggest and filter my search as the google gives just too many options.
1) What is your budget?
-
Around 70k. I don't want to spend a lot as I am afraid that nowadays technology and gadgets doesn't last very long. I can bear loss and repairs of a 70k laptop but not 1.5 lakh machine.

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
- I don't mind thickness but smaller is better. 14" is what I crave for. I use to have Acer Aspire 5378 which was very heavy and it did hurt my back. I think of HP Omen Transcend 14 but its way to costly.

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook? - Everything. This will be my primary machine. Carrying all the data, family photos, movies, games, etc. I use Solidworks and Flow Simulation Analysis software but less frequently. I love to play Games - On ultra settings as far as they are above 60 FPS. I never played or used a higher refresh rate screen. My 1070ti 8GB and i7 4770 was enough to run games on highest possible setting at 1080p.

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?
- i7 for future proof, 16 GB minimum as default demand, RTX 3060,70,ti,4060,70,ti anything would work. Will they really perform better then a desktop grade beefier heatsink, 6 heatpipe 1070ti GPU? I always wonder if chips inside tight space works similar to desktop or worse.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
- I would avoid Chew, Xiomi, Redmi, Mi, etc. Asus, Acer, HP OMEN, Lenovo, Dell have good after sales support in India.

6) Anything else you would like to say?

• Screen resolution - Higher the Better, 1080p or 2k would be enough. I will be using external monitor anyways.
  • Battery back up - 3 Hours of backup is more then enough for me. Getting AC supply is not an problem for me. Most of the time it will be kept in home connected to external monitor.
  • Purchase place - India, Qatar, Dubai, Russia, USA, Canada. I live in Qatar so getting it from here is easy, or from India. Will have to ask my friends to bring if from USA or Canada.

• I recently purchased Apple Macbook Air M1 in ramadan sale for ~50k for my girl. I really like the build but not the OS. I like windows UI. If I can remove mac OS from apple machine and install Windows 10 and play games of my choice then would love to go this way.
  • I really like ASUS Vivobook S Flip 2 in 1 Laptop, 14", Intel Core i5-12500H, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, Windows 11 Home, TP3402ZA-LZ070W. Here it is for 44k whereas in India it for 80k or something. The build is good, size is good, but it doesn't comes with GPU or good thermal sollution.
  • In office I use very old i7 4th gen HP Omen + GTX 1050 and man I love that laptop. Full metal build, sleek, LED treatment around dual heatsink exhausts. How much HP Omen 14 Transcend will cost?
  • I am waiting for sale for Razer Blade 16 RTX model. Price drops upto 4000 Riyals (90k INR) with Headphones and mouse free.
  • So far I have filtered my search to Asus TUF laptop with RTX 3060 GPU. Doesn any of its model comes with i7 and costs around 70k?
View attachment 1717490692938.pngView attachment 1717490625657.png

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Basic Multimedia usage and high storage in 50K possible? Looking for high reliability so that it can be used more than 5 years.

Gollum

Collector
Basic Multimedia usage and high storage in 50K possible? Looking for high reliability so that it can be used more than 5 years.
It depends on how you use it. But sometimes you just get a lemon.

The first laptop that I bought from my own money was an hp in 2018. It was DOA lol (horizontal line on screen right at the task bar). I could not see it at reliance digital because of the IPS screen. Windows 10 ka black task bar was hiding it. I only saw it when i changed the task bar colour.

I logged a doa case and got a replacement. The replacement is still working with decent battery life. I upgraded Ram from 4gb to 16gb. Removed the 3d xpoint drive with 256nvme and installed a 1tb hdd. I use it as a media center PC+download machine connected to my av receiver. It sits in one corner of the room and it's display lid is almost never closed.

toshar

New to this forum
Which is more Powerful in terms of Gaming and CAD.

1. Custom PC with i7 4770 + Cooler Master Hyper 212x Cooler, 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 RAM, Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070ti 8GB-180 watt TDP Graphic Card with beefier heatsink 6 heatpipes and 3 fan.

2. Lenovo LOQ 15IRH8D2 Gaming Laptop with i5 12450H, 16GB DDR5 RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4060 8GB GDDR6 - 115 watt TDP Graphic Card with stock laptop dual fan cooling.

I have got a person who is interested in buying my custom PC (mentioned above) for 46000 INR.

I am thinking to sale it and get the lenovo laptop for 82000 INR. It will be kept in home for 95% of the time plugged to external Ultra Wide monitor, USB DOC, External Hard Disks, External RDG Keyboard & Mouse, Alexa and Logitech Z5500 Hometheater. Will that laptop last 6 years atleast?

Should I go for it? I have emotional values attached with my PC. It gives ~85 FPS for GTA4 on ultra settings, and most other pre 2020 games.

I Need to take the decision within a day or two..

RMA is not good for any company here because we don't live in a developed country. What was mentioned by GN happens in India as well, not just for Asus or limited to just electronics, very common in automobile.

Top Bottom