All laptop related queries here!!!

Hrishi

Although BF3 MP is taxing as well .....it kills the best of mid range laptops....

I hate it when things throttling hits in. Its the worst part , but in my case it never happens and I am more scared of the GPU/CPU blown to an expensive oven.
It reaches 105c and the damn thing doesn't even turns itself off.

I played nfsmw today with the cooler on , and the temps were like 95c for CPU and 85c for GPU.
Without cooler it crossed 104c for CPU and 97C for GPU.
Delhi's summer is so harsh , in winters it barely reached 75c for GPU , though the CPU always danced in 90s.

I am now thinking of either calling in Acer or maybe trying to get a thermal re pasting done.

Last edited:

rhyansy

MSI Gaming Pan India Sale
I've been reading about MSI releasing new laptops for about 3 months now...
I don't think its gonna happen. Is it??

Yes, it's gonna happen. BUT we are stuck with government certification right now so we cant start offering yet. Hope everyone can understand.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
core i7 ULV CPUs are exactly same for gaming as core i5M CPUs.
Both have dual cores. Both have the same micro-architecture(Haswell). Clock speed is almost same.
I don't see an argument against core i7 4500U except 100MHz lower boost clock which is irrelevant in real world performance.
If you are like, oh they are ULV so low voltage and therefore low performance. Then I can only pity at your ignorance. They are made to run at that voltage(and wattage) at their full potential. Performance at this low wattage is just slightly below core i5M which runs at much more wattage.

right right we believe you
i have tested this personally with my friends lappie and mine
your bookish knowledge wont work here, real world performance matters
no one cares if its even a million watts as long as it gives performance for the price
you can google stuff and post a million times but id still show you real world performance and itll shock you
i7 ulv might have better battery life but itd still be lesser in real world performance than a M-series

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
right right we believe you
i have tested this personally with my friends lappie and mine
your bookish knowledge wont work here, real world performance matters
no one cares if its even a million watts as long as it gives performance for the price
you can google stuff and post a million times but id still show you real world performance and itll shock you
i7 ulv might have better battery life but itd still be lesser in real world performance than a M-series

Any proof core i5M performs better in real world than core i7 ULV? You are just claiming something without any actual proof. I guess you are not to be taken seriously anyways.
ask [MENTION=261170]AbhMkh[/MENTION] he's a proud owner of an ulv cpu.

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
One of my friend has an i7 ulv and it throttles like hell... I guess it's a common problem with the laptops having ulv processors as they are usually compact and are built similar to ultrabooks... Heat dissipation is a problem for them...
That's not a problem with the ulv processor itself but the laptop it is housed in...

Personally, i would steer clear of ulv processors... It's all good and dandy to have the benchmarks backing you up but from my personal experience with ulv processors, they are more of a headache...

That doesn't mean that all ulv processors are bad or all m processors are good... It all depends on how the laptop is built, etc etc...

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
One of my friend has an i7 ulv and it throttles like hell... I guess it's a common problem with the laptops having ulv processors as they are usually compact and are built similar to ultrabooks... Heat dissipation is a problem for them...
That's not a problem with the ulv processor itself but the laptop it is housed in...

Personally, i would steer clear of ulv processors... It's all good and dandy to have the benchmarks backing you up but from my personal experience with ulv processors, they are more of a headache...

That doesn't mean that all ulv processors are bad or all m processors are good... It all depends on how the laptop is built, etc etc...

Heat build up is the last thing that happens to ULV CPUs. If they are famous for something, it's low power usage and low heat. Razer stuffed a core i7 4702MQ in a laptop which is half the size of a ULV CPU laptop :lol: so they aren't that compact either.
ULV CPUs don't "throttle" but "bottleneck" yes if the GPU is powerful enough but then again core i5M CPUs bottleneck the same amount.

ULVs are meant for people who want battery life but given a choice between core i5M and core i7U then core i7U is the obvious because of same performance and bettery battery life.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Heat build up is the last thing that happens to ULV CPUs. If they are famous for something, it's low power usage and low heat. Razer stuffed a core i7 4702MQ in a laptop which is half the size of a ULV CPU laptop :lol: so they aren't that compact either.
ULV CPUs don't "throttle" but "bottleneck" yes if the GPU is powerful enough but then again core i5M CPUs bottleneck the same amount.

ULVs are meant for people who want battery life but given a choice between core i5M and core i7U then core i7U is the obvious because of same performance and bettery battery life.

yeah right thats why M-series cpus are soo not popular right and no wonder ulv is THE thing these days(sarcasm)
theres a reason people steer away from them if given a choice between M-series and ulv cpus at a higher price range
on a lower budget its fine

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
Don't know why are you guys in such a ULV v/s General Mobile Processors Battle
i own an i5 4200M Laptop,
I agree with seamon to an extent.
i7 ULV is almost the same as i5 4200M, just it works on a lower voltage.
and in general, i7 U laptops are costlier than i5 M Laptops.

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent

May not be always correct

[STRIKE]One of my friend has an i7 ulv and it throttles like hell... I guess it's a common problem with the laptops having ulv processors as they are usually compact and are built similar to ultrabooks... Heat dissipation is a problem for them...

That doesn't mean that all ulv processors are bad or all m processors are good... [/STRIKE]It all depends on how the laptop is built, etc etc...

Absolutely Correct

Wrong. Heat build up has nothing to do with power.
It's all about cooling, seriously in technical terms it all boils down to heat flux (flow).
For instance AMD FX8350 does consume twice to thrice the power compared to any i5 but due to overall thermals it stays cooler.

As far as I guess more laptops suffer "throttling" rather than "bottlenecking", simply because of crappy thermals.
There are certain cases where I have seen i5 + GT630M beating an i5+ GT640M

yeah right thats why M-series cpus are soo not popular right and no wonder ulv is THE thing these days(sarcasm)
theres a reason people steer away from them if given a choice between M-series and ulv cpus at a higher price range
on a lower budget its fine
:shock::shock::shock:

Don't know why are you guys in such a ULV v/s General Mobile Processors Battle
i own an i5 4200M Laptop,
I agree with seamon to an extent.
i7 ULV is almost the same as i5 4200M, just it works on a lower voltage.
and in general, i7 U laptops are costlier than i5 M Laptops.

Absolutely true.

Last edited:

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Price is the only reason why the M series is so popular.
core i7 U is priced similar to core i7 QM.
Similarly core i5M is priced similar to core i5U.

- - - Updated - - -

and +1 to Cap'n Jack Sparrow.

- - - Updated - - -

Also the heat part......
Let's not bring desktop CPUs to further complicate the discussion.
The point is unless the laptop is macbook air like thick, ULV CPUs do not pose a threat of overheating. A thicker chassis should mean better cooling unless thermal design is absolutely crappy.
Meanwhile, a core i5M produces almost similar heat as core i7 4702MQ/core i7 3632QM.(not the mainstream 4700MQ and 3630MQ)
core i7 ULV should generally stay much cooler in the same chassis.

So basically, core i7ULV should suffer "bottlenecking" instead of "throttling" meanwhile core i5M can "throttle" too with the addition of obvious "bottleneck".

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
Price is the only reason why the M series is so popular.
core i7 U is priced similar to core i7 QM.
Similarly core i5M is priced similar to core i5U.

- - - Updated - - -

and +1 to Cap'n Jack Sparrow.

- - - Updated - - -

Also the heat part......
Let's not bring desktop CPUs to further complicate the discussion.
The point is unless the laptop is macbook air like thick, ULV CPUs do not pose a threat of overheating. A thicker chassis should mean better cooling unless thermal design is absolutely crappy.
Meanwhile, a core i5M produces almost similar heat as core i7 4702MQ/core i7 3632QM.(not the mainstream 4700MQ and 3630MQ)
core i7 ULV should generally stay much cooler in the same chassis.

So basically, core i7ULV should suffer "bottlenecking" instead of "throttling" meanwhile core i5M can "throttle" too with the addition of obvious "bottleneck".

This needs to be liked as well!!! :)

Chanchal

New to this forum
Which one is best laptop for me? Below are my requirement:

1.Budget: upto 150 K INR ( but interested in lower price too)
2. video : ultra hd (I watch very very high definition video)
3.audio: I want to have immersive sound experience
4.software: I use heavy software for my programming like visual studio and photoshop many instances open all the time.
or video editing software.
5 Brand: no preferences
6.Battery life: High battery life( minimum 4 hours)
7.Operating system: Does not matter to me , I am msdn subscriber I have many windows licenses.
8.Build quality: solid and durable
9.weight: does not matter to me
10. Accessories: if comes free then fine
11.Processor: A high end does not matter intel or amd
12.Ram: eyeing for minimum of 8 gb though will not worry if it goes to 16 or 24
13. Hard disk: should have at least 500GB
14.graphics card: should be enough to play battlefield 3 or higher
15.keyboard:backlit
16.USB: at LEAST 3 slots
17.web cam: hd camera which can take great video or pic(though not much priority)
18.touch screen: does not matter if its there then fine else I am okay with key board or mouse
19.Buying option: mostly online however shop is not out of option

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Which one is best laptop for me? Below are my requirement:

1.Budget: upto 150 K INR ( but interested in lower price too)
2. video : ultra hd (I watch very very high definition video)
3.audio: I want to have immersive sound experience
4.software: I use heavy software for my programming like visual studio and photoshop many instances open all the time.
or video editing software.
5 Brand: no preferences
6.Battery life: High battery life( minimum 4 hours)
7.Operating system: Does not matter to me , I am msdn subscriber I have many windows licenses.
8.Build quality: solid and durable
9.weight: does not matter to me
10. Accessories: if comes free then fine
11.Processor: A high end does not matter intel or amd
12.Ram: eyeing for minimum of 8 gb though will not worry if it goes to 16 or 24
13. Hard disk: should have at least 500GB
14.graphics card: should be enough to play battlefield 3 or higher
15.keyboard:backlit
16.USB: at LEAST 3 slots
17.web cam: hd camera which can take great video or pic(though not much priority)
18.touch screen: does not matter if its there then fine else I am okay with key board or mouse
19.Buying option: mostly online however shop is not out of option

Wait for MSI or ASUS G750JM.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
A warning about buying Asus notebooks in e-commerce sites like eBay, Snapdeal, amazon and FK. Looks like they won't honour warranty of units that's purchased online:
*goo.gl/vYL34V

sksundram

In the zone
I am thinking of buying this laptop for programming as well as light gaming. How is A8 as well as 8750M?

HP 15-g009AX Notebook (APU Quad Core A8/ 4GB/ 1TB/ Free DOS/ 2GB Graph) (G8D85PA) Rs.31990 Price in India - Buy HP 15-g009AX Notebook (APU Quad Core A8/ 4GB/ 1TB/ Free DOS/ 2GB Graph) (G8D85PA) SParkling Black Online - HP: Flipkart.com

The effective price will come down to around 28K (with SC card it will be 26K)

also I came across this : Radeon HD 8750M vs GeForce GT 740M

The difference is marginal but 740M comes equipped with >40K laptops.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I am thinking of buying this laptop for programming as well as light gaming. How is A8 as well as 8750M?

HP 15-g009AX Notebook (APU Quad Core A8/ 4GB/ 1TB/ Free DOS/ 2GB Graph) (G8D85PA) Rs.31990 Price in India - Buy HP 15-g009AX Notebook (APU Quad Core A8/ 4GB/ 1TB/ Free DOS/ 2GB Graph) (G8D85PA) SParkling Black Online - HP: Flipkart.com

The effective price will come down to around 28K (with SC card it will be 26K)

also I came across this : Radeon HD 8750M vs GeForce GT 740M

The difference is marginal but 740M comes equipped with >40K laptops.

Okayish. Processor competes with core i3 M processors.

It has AMD 8570M (and not AMD 8750M). It is slightly below Nvidia 720m.

You might want to go for
Lenovo G500s
It has better build quality and performance is just slightly better.

Top Bottom