All laptop related queries here!!!

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
return_of_vengeance said:
hey in Inida are the core2duo based laptops launched by any other company other than DELL? i guess hp/compaq didnt launched yet.
Apple. The MacBook and MacBook Pro range.

Akshay

Cyborg Agent
@Ashish

Out of Zenith, MSI, ACI - MSI is bettr. But service wud again b a prb.
Whn u r buyin a laptop, giv preference to service n quality. U can find Compaq/HP/Lenovo service centres in almost all cities.

Zenith n Sahara r definite NO NO

DipDaWiz

Broken In
At last I am going for HP Pav. dv6114. bcoz of its price-performance ratio. I got it in 58500 all incl. in Pune from Punam Electronics. Now I'll add 1gb RAM to it.

For Punekar... Punam elec. is a very good place for H/W. they are the dealer and offer very good price and all with proper warrenty and bill. Its in Ghole Rd. Shivaji Nagar. I am giving the ph no. ... 020 25521740/43/44/45

Akshay

Cyborg Agent
@dipdawiz

Dats a gud deal though on Lamington road, it wud cost u arnd 1000 buks less. Regarding RAM, buy Transcend, kingston or hynix only. Dont buy unbranded ones. Preferably get a single 1GB thing instead of 512*2. Chk d ram if it is compatible wit ur system ram (speed, type, etc.)

DipDaWiz

Broken In
Yep.. I am going for a Kingston RAM, as its cheaper than transcend but a good brand. dealer agreed to take back my installed 512mb ram (but with a lesser price) and I am installing 1x1024 RAM. so that the 2nd slot remains upgradable.

salils

Journeyman
what about hp dv 5200 is it still available in markets
and is there any graphics card included in hp dv 6114?
plz help me as I'm ready to buy any one of these

DipDaWiz

Broken In
salils said:
what about hp dv 5200 is it still available in markets
and is there any graphics card included in hp dv 6114?
plz help me as I'm ready to buy any one of these

DV5200 is discontinued. and new model HP Pav dv 6114 have same feature as dv5200, except, 6114 has T2050 processor(1.6 Ghz, 533 Mhz) 512Mb RAM and a 80GB HDD.
where as DV5200 was with 1.73Ghz 533Mhz FSB processor, 1GB RAM and 100GB HDD.

Both have nVidia Geforce Go 7400 TC.

Anyway it is not the best in term of performence when game is considered but its one of the best for average user and gamer.

In this price there are no laptops in india that have a dedicated graphics more powerfull than Geforce go 7400TC.

salils

Journeyman
ok tell me something about v 3033

Last edited:

GunshotSilence

Journeyman
which laptop shud i buy?

hi

i need to buy a laptop which will replace my current p3 desktop and will be powerful enouhg for gaming and video editting and other heavy work.

after full market research i have zeroed in on 2 models
dell and hp are over priced so i dont want them

the 2 models r -the intel VBI s96j barebone *www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2975(parts here r the ones given abroad. below mentioned are provided in India) and the ACI matrix *www.techtree.com/India/Reviews/ACI_Matrix/551-77363-616.html

now the problem is that, though both have a similar configuration and quality(its seems the ACI matrix is based on the asus s96j barebone as per design)

in long term use(say another 4-5 yrs) which shud be suitable for me? and whose price is justified?

the various configurations available here in India are

Specs-----------------Aci Matrix------------------Intel S96J barebone
Price:------------------70000/---------------------52000(with taxes-ram)------------
Warranty:------------3yrs(type not known)-------------1yrs(National)---------------
Proc:--------------Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz---------------Core duo1.6Ghz---------------
Ram:--------------2 * 512MB DDR2 667MHz------------No ram(get ur own)---------------------
Mobo:--------------------Intel 945PM Express and ICH7-M --------------------------
Graphics:-----------------ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 256MB VRAM---------------------
Hdd:---------------WD 80GB SATA-------------------Hitachi 80Gb SAta--------------
Optical:------------------------Super Multi DVD-RW----------------------------
Screen:-------------------15.4" WXGA Color Shine (1280 * 800)-----------------
Misc:---------------------Inbuilt V.92 56kbps MDC module-----------------------
------------------------------Intel 802.11a/b/g with mini PCI slot ----------------------
-------------------------------Realtek ALC 882 Sound Card ---------------------------
IO Ports: All same

4 x USB 2.0
PCMCIA Type II Slot
VGA Port
S-Video Out
RJ-11, RJ-45 Socket
DC-in
Mic-in, Speaker/Headphone out jack
1 x Min-IEEE 1394
SD/MMC/MS Card Reader/Writer
1.3 MP Inbuilt Web Cam

Dimensions:

Length: 362 mm
Width: 268 mm
Height/Thickness: 28.5 mm
Weight: 2.9 Kg

now looking at the price, warranty, and processor choice(though the mobo is Merom compatible, one wud not find the individual merom cor2duo processor here in India in retail for assembled laptops.)

which laptop wud u recommend in the longer run?

also Intel is selling the VBI assembled laptops thru redington india who will sell me thru their authorised dealer

and im not sure about their service quality

more over i havent found the ACI matrix on any Indian webpages either and neither have i seen it nor do i have their contact info.

so to sum it up i have no idea about their warranty and service quality

so what wud u suggest looking at "all" factors?
which one do i go for?

the ACI matrix with core2duo 2 ghz with the same graphics MRX 1600 and 5400 rpm hdd has a 3Dmark 2005 score of 3740

where as the S96j with a core duo1.8 ghz with the same graphics MRX 1600 with 7200 rpm hdd has 3921 score

how come?

Last edited:

DipDaWiz

Broken In
salils said:
ok tell me something about v 3033

For Core 2 Duo only dell have some models and they definitly cost you not less then 60K. This week I orderd a Dell XPS 1210 with Core2Duo 1.83Mhz, 1x1024MB 667Mhz DDR2 RAM, 12.1" WSXGA, 80GB 5400rpm SATA, 8x DVD RW DL, anyway graphics card is same as HP dv6114 that is 256Mb (64MB dedicated,up to 192MB shared) Geforce Go 7400TC.
It cost me Rs.67048 after discount. It comes with 1 year complete cover that means any accidental hazard is covered.

The funny thing is I burgained with the Dell guy and he sent me a quotation that deducts the TAX and Octroi and saves Rs.4300.

as gunshotsilence said Aci have Core2Duo laptops. But I am not sure about its service and availability.

But before buying, the main questions should be Requirment and Budget. try to finalise these two. It will be easy for you to narrow down your search for a laptop :)

salils

Journeyman
what about 64 bit computing
can I run vista smoothly on core duo??
or still core 2 duo has an advantage on running vista

GunshotSilence

Journeyman
i need to buy a laptop which will replace my current p3 desktop and will be powerful enouhg for gaming and video editting and other heavy work.

after full market research i have zeroed in on 2 models
dell and hp are over priced so i dont want them

like i said, only after keeping in mind my budget and my requiremtnts, of all companies and their laptops, i have narrowed doown to the ACI matrix and the s96j assembled.

and a core2duo will definelty be a great buy and for the future.

budget is 65k. work=gaming and heavy video editing and animation, again for the future

dotcommakers

Journeyman
hi looking to buy a laptop for mobility.. i need good graphic performance as i am webdesigner.. i have 65k budget.. i prefer HP but let me know if you have any other good model in mind... will HP be the best choice?

DipDaWiz

Broken In
@Salils - Core2Duo basically a 64bit processor. previously Intel used to call it EM64T (Intel x86-64 extensions).

@dotcommakers - The Dell configuration I told previously in this posts, is a pure mobility laptop with only 12.1" WSXGA and only 2.09KG. but as you are a web designer you should go for atleast 15" version of laptops. If not interested in HP, then go for Dell inspiron 6400 or for Acer Aspire serise. But as I am using HP dv6114, its very good, I hope its a good one for your need too.

@gunshotsilence - in 65K budget you will not get laptop(major brands) with a graphics card that is more powerfull than ATI x1300/x1400 (I am not sure which company in India has this option) or Geforce Go 7400. both have almost same performance, ATI got 128bit chip, where as gefoce go 7xxx got 64bit. So work==game may not work out properly if you compare it with new high end desktops.
The DELL XPS 1210 laptop got more than 2000 in 3d mark 05. thats quite good for laptops with in its size and price. you can check its review in *www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3199*www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2975

Last edited:

GunshotSilence

Journeyman
@DipdaWiz

see this *www.techtree.com/India/Reviews/ACI_Matrix/551-77363-616.html. i can stretch my budget max to 70k.

this laptop gives ati MRX 1600 with 256 mb dedicated. also intel verified s96j for 56k comes with aTI mrx 1600

*www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2975(parts here r the ones given abroad. below mentioned are provided in India)

now the problem is that, though both have a similar configuration and quality(its seems the ACI matrix is based on the asus s96j barebone as per design)

in long term use(say another 4-5 yrs) which shud be suitable for me? and whose price is justified?

Price:------------------70000/---------------------52000(with taxes-ram)------------
Warranty:------------3yrs(type not known)-------------1yrs(National)---------------
Proc:--------------Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz---------------Core duo1.6Ghz---------------
Ram:--------------2 * 512MB DDR2 667MHz------------No ram(get ur own)---------------------
Mobo:--------------------Intel 945PM Express and ICH7-M --------------------------
Graphics:-----------------ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 256MB VRAM---------------------
Hdd:---------------WD 80GB SATA-------------------Hitachi 80Gb SAta--------------
Optical:------------------------Super Multi DVD-RW----------------------------
Screen:-------------------15.4" WXGA Color Shine (1280 * 800)-----------------
Misc:---------------------Inbuilt V.92 56kbps MDC module-----------------------
------------------------------Intel 802.11a/b/g with mini PCI slot ----------------------
-------------------------------Realtek ALC 882 Sound Card ---------------------------
IO Ports: All same

4 x USB 2.0
PCMCIA Type II Slot
VGA Port
S-Video Out
RJ-11, RJ-45 Socket
DC-in
Mic-in, Speaker/Headphone out jack
1 x Min-IEEE 1394
SD/MMC/MS Card Reader/Writer
1.3 MP Inbuilt Web Cam

Dimensions:

Length: 362 mm
Width: 268 mm
Height/Thickness: 28.5 mm
Weight: 2.9 Kg

Last edited:

DipDaWiz

Broken In
GunshotSilence said:

Yes they are giving ATI x1600. but two thing - 1. Availability 2. Service

Are these laptops easily available? I dont think so.
Less availability == Less Service == Less peace of mind. you are spending 70K, its a huge ammount. and laptops are more fragile (specially HDD and Screen) and not easily replacable and price is also high, so service is one of the major factor while selecting a laptop. So be sure about the after sale service before buying any of these.

Top Bottom