all files from IDE hard disk with windows 2000 to SATA II hard disk with windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

jagadish2005

Right off the assembly line
Hi tech experts,
I am average computer knowledge preson. I recently brougth 250 GB SATA II hard disk . I going to install windows XP prof in new hard disk. I am already have IDE 80 GB hard disk with windows 2000 prof . Itis possible to copy all files & settings from IDE hard disk with windows 2000 to SATA II hard disk with windows XP. can u provide me with some solution

Thanks
Arunachalla

ITTechPerson

Search for Adventure
r u trying to keep both HDD with dual boot As master/slave? Then it has no problem to transfer ur files from one with Win2k to another Winxp.

OP
J

jagadish2005

ITTechPerson said:
r u trying to keep both HDD with dual boot As master/slave? Then it has no problem to transfer ur files from one with Win2k to another Winxp.

Hi ITTechperson,
Thanks ITTechperson for you reply. I am not going to keep dual boot as master/slave. Then how to do it

Thanks
Arunachalla

ITTechPerson

Search for Adventure
Wht do u want 2 do with old HDD? If u wanna keep tht then u have to make it as slave with new one.

give a detail wht u want

OP
J

jagadish2005

Jitin said:
make ghost image of your old hdd
and then restore it on your new hdd
Regards

Hi
I am not going to use my old (IDE) hard disk. I want to transfer all files & setting including account details and program files to new SATA II hard disk with windows XP prof

Thanks
Jagadish

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
N u cant do that it will only work if u either continue using 2000, using ghost image method.
For XP u will have to reinstall & then install all other softwares too.

OP
J

jagadish2005

ranjan2001 said:
N u cant do that it will only work if u either continue using 2000, using ghost image method.
For XP u will have to reinstall & then install all other softwares too.

Hi,
If I am using new hard disk with windows 2000 SP4(sata 2) then i can transfer all account details from older hard disk then i can install all programs files separately . I am having another doubth : maximum partition size in windows 2000 (NTFS).
In 300gb (SATA 2) hard disk

C: drive == 55GB
like that

Thanks
Jagadish

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
I dont know what kind of account details u want to transfer, but from my past experience in old machine a year ago, its not a good idea to use ide with sata 2 interface together, it slows down the sata.

Leave out the 80GB for off line data storage or data backup, thats what I am doing with my 2 ide 80 gb disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom