Airtel Broadband Internet Connection in Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

sakumar79

Technomancer
Hi,
I have Vector Linux installed in my new computer (It also has Win XP and Vista). I have an Airtel Broadband Internet Connection, the plan allows 10 hrs of daytime usage and unlimited night time usage (9:00pm to 8:00 am). I recently set up the internet for the Linux. The modem is a beetel 220BX modem (has both USB and ethernet) which I managed to setup with ethernet connection... The modem is of the type that if you switch it on, it will connect to the internet in XP.

Currently, if I switch on the modem during linux bootup, the internet connection works, but if I switch it on after bootup, the internet connection is down... Please let me know how to configure it so that I can get internet connection if I switch the modem on after bootup...

Thanks in advance
Arun

praka123

left this forum longback
ur using pppoe-dialer in-built on the router/modem.if u switch off & restart modem while on linux,the networking still insists on given IP by router for local lan,while airtel may be giving u dynamic IP's for each connxn.I dont have experiance with vector linux.some distros dont have zeroconf or avahi for network-detection.try to enable dhcp in ur distro.it sure have some tools to enable dhcp.also,restarting the network will fetch the internet.
u need to use terminal and enter root passwd(su -) to get root access.restart network by
Code:
/etc/init.d/network restart
now if connected,post the output of the command
Code:
/sbin/ifconfig
normally i prefer bridge mode,where u dial manually from Linux or windows to get connected.

edit:BTW,change ur router/modem's admin password to something else.there seems to be some security problem with default password.
see the thread:
*www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=2096.0

Last edited:

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Yeah add it to your startup command list.

Or if there is a Network Connection icon (Network-Manager applet) on your tray, you can do the same there too :)

OP
S

sakumar79

Technomancer
There is no /etc/init.d/network on the computer - though network file is present in a 'sample' subfolder of init.d... Using it also did not help... Is it possible to refresh eth0 through ifconfig?

Thanks in advance
Arun

PS: BTW, I am sending the computer for some hardware checkup tomorrow morning and not sure when it will be back, so I may have to try further suggestions after a few days only...

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Vector is based on slackware I believe. So, it doesn't use sysvinit. Rather it uses BSD style init scripts. So, you will find that things are a bit different.
See if *slackbook.org/html/network-configuration.html helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom