AGP or PCI-e

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyCo

In the zone
am plannin to replace my mobo and stuff
i definitely want an AMD
for a budget of 5-7k for a graphics card .. can i go for a PCI -ex .. and which mobo do i need ..

rohanbee

Padawan
magnet said:
my frnd has intel 915 board....i heard it only hav pci-e slot not agp...is it true?????....also which card shd h go 4.....basic requirement.....playing games lik nfs undergrd and all......budget 6-7.5k..........
also buying a card of 2-4k range is not worth buying??????on minimum settings will such cards provide decent graphics and all???

Yes the 91xx series of boards and above have one Pc-express slot only NO agp. Pci express cards will be around the same price as the agp cards so do not worry!!

Also, Let me confirm to you all that Technology always moves at a lightening speed or not at all. Pci-express will Definately be the trend by this year end. Already all mobo companies have shifted to pci and will eventually phase out the agp ............... I still say be FUTURE PROOF and buy a Pci-e unless you change your computer every year.

rohanbee

Padawan
One of the most significant changes to come to PC systems in a decade, PCI Express is a new interconnect technology designed to provide universal connectivity for use as a chip-to-chip and chip to adapter card interconnect. PCI Express architecture provides for extremely high bandwidth at low cost. There are two main reasons to care about PCI-Express:

1) PCI is now an old standard dating back to the early 90's and no longer fits our needs in terms of speed/performance.

2) AGP also is in a similar position as PCI now, and chipset manufacturers are killing AGP motherboard support in favor of the much faster PCI Express interface. This means you are looking at a forced transition in the graphic sector, thus you really don't have a lot of choice in the coming years.

info from www.gen-x-pc.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom