AGP or PCI-e

Status
Not open for further replies.

sidewinder

Ambassador of Buzz
pci e is certainly better than agp but not for now.Present gen cards just cant utilise the bandwidth.So for now agp is best nd cheaper.But 4 high end cards such as 6600 gt pcie costs less.So its upon u.If ur budget is low go for agp nd if u can spend some extra then go for pcie.It will also be future proof

rohanbee

Padawan
Pci express is the technology for the future. At the moment though no real difference has been found by the top reviewers of graphics cards in any jump of performance.
But,
They all admit that with time this will change and the true capabilites of the Pci-express port will come forth.
So,
If you want something that is future proof go in for Pcie and if you want save money and have same preformance go for AGP!

Another thing to keep in mind is that all the new intel mobo's do not have a agp slot. I can't say the same about companies like Msi, gigabyte etc..

OP
- Snake -

- Snake -

Broken In
i have asked this question because i am plnning to buy a high end graphics card (cost is not the matter, may be i'll give away Rs. 40000 for a good card)

please suggest me should i go for pcie or agp

Tech&ME

Banned
Ok it seems to me that you are a gamer, since you are already selling out that amount of money, so u must go in for PCI -express based card. Since your love for gaming is not going to stop just by playing DOOM , it will continue.... and the future is bright and so PCI - E will be always with you in the coming future of games.... this is just the beginning.... There are games that are under development which is being targeted at this PCI -E cards only, which means you can play this future games only with a PCI-E based card. So go get one for yourself !

Journeyman
PCIe the future of Graphics technology. You won't find much difference between AGP and PCIe at the moment. But in another year or so, PCIe cards will dominate the gaming arena.

If you have a PCIe port and if you are going for a high end card -- Like the nVidia 6800GT 256MB card --> you can go for the PCIe version. Its cheaper. If you are going for lower models AGP version is cheaper.

sidewinder

Ambassador of Buzz
then go for pci e. Also for a high end gfx card buy ATI coz Nvidia doesnt make pure pcie cards.They just use a chip that converts agp signals to pci.SAo there must be some latency.ATI X800PE nd like will fit ur bill i think.Also get urself Athlon 64 FX to get max performance out of it.Although i dont know if they r available in India or not

rohanbee

Padawan
You are wrong my dear friend. All cards are native Pci but they are being converted to agp with these chips:-
Rialto -- Ati
HSI (high speed interconnect) -- Nvidia

An article to prove my point is given under:-
*www.firingsquad.com/hardware/powercolor_x800_xl_agp/page2.asp

That is one of the reasons the 6600 pci express was available much before the agp version came out. They built a sort of a bridge for these cards to make them backward compatible with northwood chipsets.

And yes there are Latencies involved but they are the other way around i.e from pcie to agp and not vice versa as you seem to think.

mohit

The Hardware Labs
is pci-e is better than agp and does intel dgavd2 supports pci-e

man which is that board u r talking about ? i havent heard about this model as yet ... btw if you are willing to shell out around 40k what i suggest is go for the Intel SLI boards from Asus and take 2 pci-e 6600gt's from gainward/leadtek ... all this will come easily in 40 k and u will have one hell of a gaming machine.

magnet

Youngling
my frnd has intel 915 board....i heard it only hav pci-e slot not agp...is it true?????....also which card shd h go 4.....basic requirement.....playing games lik nfs undergrd and all......budget 6-7.5k..........
also buying a card of 2-4k range is not worth buying??????on minimum settings will such cards provide decent graphics and all???

D

Deleted member 5901

PCI-E will B of USE 2-3YEARS FROM NOW NOT BEFORE THAT !!!

SO GO FOR A GOOD AGP CARD NOW AT THE SAME PRICE OF A LOW END PCI-e card !!!!!

CHEERS !!!!

sidewinder

Ambassador of Buzz
thats coz agp is surely dying but as for now it provides best price to performance ratio.Also PCI-E cards r crazily priced.AGP Provides complete compatibility.
PCI will replace agp but not before at least 2007.

yehmeriidhain

In the zone
yaap! for 2 to 3 years .. from now on .. AGP's R not leaving there respected position for sure! 8)

So spending money on AGP is worth for now atleast .............. & after 2 years . there will be a hell lot of things which U might need to worry! abt so just dunt get toooooooooo far!

& if U can understand .. take my advice :

Always stay ONE step behind the TECHNOLOGY

reasons i dunt wanna clear out here! U can urself figure it out tht well! So get an AGP depending on ur budget!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom