Agni-V, India's first ICBM test-fired successfully

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ajaymailed,my previous post was a reply to @NIGHTMARE post according to which indian missile program is superior to chinese one & i just posted facts/statements to contradict this.as for comparing indian & chinese programs again i posted that quote to emphasize the point that even indian defense experts are in no illusion regarding chinese missile capabilities.

as for deterrence & capability i was pointing out the fact that even if India now has Agni V still China has much better missile infrastructure.it has more missiles & hundreds of kms of underground tunnel network to ensure much better survival rate of its delivery systems even against USA.if this can not be counted as more capability than India has then i don't know what can.

ajaymailed

In the zone
as for deterrence & capability i was pointing out the fact that even if India now has Agni V still China has much better missile infrastructure.it has more missiles & hundreds of kms of underground tunnel network to ensure much better survival rate of its delivery systems even against USA.if this can not be counted as more capability than India has then i don't know what can.
your right about that part, much of Chinese systems are meant for deterring US while Agni-V allows India build force to deter China. Hence the difference in capabilities. China simply has more powerful enemies, far away. We may never need such numbers and infrastructure anyway as we were trying to get MIRVs & SLBMs in future.
Its like saying Pakistan missiles capabilities much behind Indias, but that doesn't stop them from reaching anywhere in India with their missiles. Just like Agni-V is no use against Pakistan, essentially an overkill, same is with DF-31/41 or older chinese ICBMs, China has already covered India their df-21s

That's the point :razz:
i just wanted mention, the ultimate thing which matters in all this charade of nuclear weapons, ballistic is that they are supposed to help maintain peace. Agni V is supposed to help india maintain stable & peaceful relations with china. we may spark off a costly tense competition but if that means we can avoid any clashes then it does probably make sense to have such capability. China should be able believe agni V is no pushover and should think million times before doing anything stupid
peace inturn means we can focus more on economy and prosperity.

i

Last edited:

sukesh1090

Adam young
the ultimate thing which matters in all this charade of nuclear weapons, ballistic is that they are supposed to help maintain peace. Agni V is supposed to help india maintain stable & peaceful relations with china. we may spark off a costly tense competition but if that means we can avoid any clashes then it does probably make sense to have such capability. China should be able believe agni V is no pushover and should think million times before doing anything stupid
:+1:
added rep for this point. :).this is what i wanted to tell in my last post in this thread but you did put it in a better way and conveyed the message in a better way.

NIGHTMARE

ANGEL OF DEATH
Radar Scene Correlation, Fuel Air Explosives, GPS Terminal Guidance? where you did find this information.

India has developed Ring Laser Gyro INS, Micro Navigation System, etc earlier on the Agni 4. According to the DRDO, this missile is one of its kind. It showcased many new technologies for the first time and is a quantum leap in terms of missile technology. The missile is light in weight and has two stages of solid propulsion and a payload with re-entry heat shield. The composite rocket motor technology, which has been used for the first time, has also given excellent performance. The missile system is equipped with modern and compact avionics with redundancy to provide high level of reliability.The indigenous ring laser gyros-based high-accuracy INS (Rins) and micro navigation system (Mings) complementing each other in redundant mode, have been successfully flown in guidance mode for the first time.

An Agni-V Leap Forward | Flashpoints

Tarmak007 -- A bold blog on Indian defence: TERMINAL GUIDANCE: Made in India seekers dressed up for fire play

much of the old ones i think are inspired by Soviet Designs which are mostly heavy liquid fuelled based in hardened silos. DF-31 development began rougly when Soviets were also moving to solid fuelled road mobile missiles.chinese have geographical advantage as far as India is concerned. Can reach much of Indian cities with DF-21s, which they have in few good numbers. DF-31/41 is meant for US. China also has higher capacity warheads to offset the need for accuracy. It doesn't matter if CEP is 1km when they have megaton warheads.

Agni V does the job of striking Beijing; it is a China-specific missile, nothing more. India doesn't need to threaten anyone else, just China.:-D joking

Chinese DF-4 and DF-5 is not even comparable to Indian Prithvi series missile. A missile which take 3 TELs 2hours of refueling and then blasts off at launch. DF-41 is MIRV. Take down Delhi and 9 surround cities one go. Still there are no proofs that China tested MIRV...maybe they'll take few of our cities as well. Even DF-31 had a range of 13000km..... and Agni-V only 5000 km..... If it has 13000 km range what it supposed to do with India, we aren't 12000km away from china. As china has strong force we should ensure our safety it doesn't mean we are wishing a war with China.... Why china modernizing its armed forces in so hurry.... is china going to fight with USA might. In my opinion CEP matter DF-31 CEP : 500 m vs Agni 5 CEP : 40 m.

When China launched its own ICBM in 70s, it had more poverty than current Indian levels.

Indeed even today China after US has biggest budget in military but 150 000 000 people live under poverty in China. So instead of preaching India to China also should concentrate on eradicate its own poverty. I think these so called experts in global times think that China is some developed nation when reality is China is also a developing country having 100th rank in HDI.

But one thing is right, Yes India's missiles dwarf's in front of China. They have ICBMs up to 15000 km while we have just 5000 km range. But India is enemy are not 10000 km away, so it is ok. We are only the 5th nation on the entire world to have this technology. Isn't that an achievement?

ajaymailed

In the zone
But one thing is right, Yes India's missiles dwarf's in front of China. They have ICBMs up to 15000 km while we have just 5000 km range. But India is enemy are not 10000 km away, so it is ok. We are only the 5th nation on the entire world to have this technology. Isn't that an achievement?
We will probably stop comparing ranges once India comes out with long range SLBM because with nuclear submarine as platform, we can reach every country and every city in the world including US, Europe and even south america. ofcoz messing with US means their attack submarines will be make circles around our sub. For India what really matters is second strike effectiveness of SLBM.

Learned a lot of stuff. Thanx guys! :)
if you wanna learn about space & missile programs. I suggest you watch or read about the mother of all duels. US Vs Soviet Union. especially in 1960s and 70s. awesome, titanic, breathtaking, spectacular- got no words to describe. the intense competition, the supreme importance attached to going ahead & beating the rival. Nowadays the seriousness & importance attached to rocket research is almost nil today compared to what happened in 60s & 70s.

OP
Renny

Renny

Padawan
Found this pic :D

*i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff39/ashwinm/PaksShaheen-1Amissiletest-Abehindthesceneslook-TheUnRealTimes.jpg

suresh123

Right off the assembly line
Its India's biggest victory in terms of the invention of latest technology and it will really scare the other countries especially Pakistan and China which thinks that they can scare us by their unfair plans.

101gamzer

Ambassador of Buzz
i just wanted mention, the ultimate thing which matters in all this charade of nuclear weapons, ballistic is that they are supposed to help maintain peace. Agni V is supposed to help india maintain stable & peaceful relations with china. we may spark off a costly tense competition but if that means we can avoid any clashes then it does probably make sense to have such capability. China should be able believe agni V is no pushover and should think million times before doing anything stupid

:agreed: India's Infrastructure is so poor compared to China they have underground tunnels, bridges etc we need to improve this to utilize the full potential of this missile BTW we are really far away from them in Missile technology they have varieties of ICBM , BM,CM,AS,AA,SA missile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom