Advice needed for upgrading pc

quicky008

Technomancer
I'm planning on upgrading the CPU,motherboard,Ram and cabinet of my computer next week.I'm willing to spend Rs 30000 on it.The pc will be used primarily for gaming,watching HD movies and internet browsing.I intend to reuse the following components from my old PC---monitor,GPU(nvidia gts 450),psu(corsair vx 450),HDDs and optical drives.

As i don't upgrade my pc very often,i want to go for a config that will last for the next 5-6 years and will also perform satisfactorily.Should i go for an Intel or AMD based config?Are AMD's hex core processors(such as phenom II 1090t) good enough for hardcore gaming and heavy multimedia usage?

Please make some recommendations that will enable me to make an informed purchase.Thanks.

(p.s- Please make sure that the components that you specify can be procured easily from Kolkata)

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Hardcore gaming,watching HD movies,internet browsing.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans:Rs 30000(Can spend around Rs 2000 more if required)

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:I take no interest in overclocking

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans:Windows 7 and XP

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans:I already have a 1 TB HDD and so i won't be needing a new one

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:Nope,i intend to continue using my older 20" LCD monitor.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Graphics card-Nvidia GTS 450,PSU-Corsair VX 450,input devices,sound card,speakers,HDDs,optical drives.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans:Next Week

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans:It will be done by the assembler

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:I intend to purchase everything locally,i don't like the idea of buying computer components from online stores.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:The CPU that I'm currently using tends to heat up a lot after running games or movies for 1-3 hours at a stretch which causes its fan to start spinning rapidly,thereby generating a lot of noise which seems really irritating at times.I'd really like to make sure that my new cpu and its HSF do not have such heating issues.Will using an aftermarket cpu cooler cause the noise levels to drop significantly?If yes,plz recommend some models that are inexpensive but reliable.

saswat23

Human Spambot
Hmm, for 30k you can get:
* Intel i5-2500k -- 12.5k
* Asus P8Z77-M or AsRock Z77 Extreme 4 -- 10k
* Corsair Vengeance 2*4GB DDR3 RAM -- 3.2k
* CM Elite 431 -- 3.1k
* Logitech Wired 500 combo -- 0.7k
Total ---- 29.5k

Rest all you have.

The stock cooler will be fine unless you overclock. As you said you dont intend to OC now. So, that's not a problem. Later when you feel the need for OCing, just get a good CPU cooler like CM Hyper 212 Evo for 2k and hit 5GHz mark.

So, you will be re-using your KB+mouse too. Then go for 4GB DDR3 vengeance instead of 8GB and worth the remaining amount sqeeze in a 60GB SSD to your config.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
Thank you very much indeed for your suggestions,Saswat.What do you think of the following configuration?

Intel Core i5 2400

ASUS P8B75-V motherboard

Corsair Value Ram 2*4GB

Cabinet:I am confused between Corsair carbide 400r and cm 690 II advanced-which one is better?Can both of these cabinets accommodate large CPU coolers like CM Hyper 212 Evo?

One more thing:How's Asus' after sales service in Kolkata?I've heard that Rma for Asus products is handled by rashi peripherals in West Bengal.In that case,will i face any problems if the asus motherboard develops a fault and needs to be replaced or repaired?

the_conqueror

Ambassador of Buzz
^ Nice config. I think you can accomodate an Ivy bridge i5 in it. It'll be a bit better. Both of listed cabinets are nice and have enough space to house high cpu coolers. Choose the one which appears better to you(in looks).

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
^Thanks a lot,conqueror.I wanted to go for a ivybridge cpu but i read somewhere in this forum that ivybridge CPUs are plagued with heating issues-so do u think it will be a good idea to opt for ivybridge?If yes,which one would you recommend?

I'm not sure whether the ASUS P8B75-V mobo is available at the local computer stores or not but i'll check it shortly.Can u recommend some alternate motherboards having similar specifications that i can look for in case the aforesaid mobo turns out to be unavailable?Also do u have any idea about the quality of Asus' after sales service in West Bengal?

Last edited:

Sainatarajan

Wise Old Owl
@saswat23
Nice config . But get ASUS P8Z77 M PRO if the Asrock is not available and Also go for Gskill RipJAWSx RAM .
You can OC the CPU when the Performance Lags . It is also within your budget.

the_conqueror

Ambassador of Buzz
^Thanks a lot,conqueror.I wanted to go for a ivybridge cpu but i read somewhere in this forum that ivybridge CPUs are plagued with heating issues-so do u think it will be a good idea to opt for ivybridge?If yes,which one would you recommend?

I'm not sure whether the ASUS P8B75-V mobo is available at the local computer stores or not but i'll check it shortly.Can u recommend some alternate motherboards having similar specifications that i can look for in case the aforesaid mobo turns out to be unavailable?Also do u have any idea about the quality of Asus' after sales service in West Bengal?

Ivy runs hotter when overclocked. Due to crap stock intel cooler, you can take cooler master hyper tx3 for 1.4k ( For running ivy bridge proccy on stock). It'll be enough.
But only go for ivy if it is available at reasonable price. i5 3450 + any h77 board from gigabyte is a nice combo. Buy i5 3450 only if it is less than 11.5k. Else get i5 2400 + intel dh67cl. I also heard about bad service of Rashi.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Instead of picking i5-3550 (Ivy bridge) + H77 mothebroard + CPU cooler, rather pick i5-2500K + Z77 motherboard in the same price. Atleast it can be overclocked in future.

saswat23

Human Spambot
Not now, but for sure will get into OCing later when needed.
Moreover it comes under his budget too, so why not.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
The i5 2400 cpu is not available locally,a vendor i spoke to advised me to go for a i5 3450 CPU instead for Rs 11,700.Can this processor be considered reliable?Is it capable of running cpu intensive games and apps smoothly?Will it be a good idea to buy it?

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
Not Bad @ 12k..
Just a bit hotter though

AFAIK performance ~i5 2500k -2%

Thats the only thing which worries me,will i be able to avoid the heating issues altogether if i install an aftermarket cpu cooler such as the CM hyper evo 212?

saswat23

Human Spambot
Else see if you can get i5-2500k for 12.5k. A better performer than i5-3450 and doesnt have any heating issues.

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
@ OP what MobO do you have/planning 2 buy??

@saswat if he gets DH67CL as suggested earlier wouldn't 2500k be waste of money??

Top Bottom