Advice needed- Dying laptop - repair or wait or build new PC

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Hi guys
I think my laptop GPU is dying/is dead
I can run just one game on it (checked usage using MSI Afterburner)
For everything else, it just crashes or BSODs(In windows 10 partition, it just says AMDkmdag.sys stopped and recovered but the Intel GPU is working fine whereas in my Windows 7 fresh install partition with new drivers,it just BSODs)
Im surprised Intel Graphics still works despite being a switchable GPU system because generally both work together in tandem
My GPU may have died out when I was playing GTA V and I suffered a freeze with stripes on the screen
I didnt bother much at the time and just force shut it down
5-6 days later, the GPU refuses to run any games except for one and keeps crashing everything including furmark
Any ideas?
I literally cant figure out if my GPU is really dead or dying or what

My questions are-
1. Is it possible that my HDD has corrupt sectors or some other component dying?
2. My charger was no longer recognised and to charge my battery, I had to force push it inside so that it would be recognised and charge otherwise the charger would simply power the laptop and throttle the CPU(Im using Throttlestop to get rid of this issue and everything was fine since 2-3 months until this) and I also bought a new charger but it has the same issues so Im guessing its the power connector
3.Should I attempt reflow of the gpu using a hair dryer or simply use it without the dgpu till I can save up for a new PC/Laptop(can take a long time)

Ill fill up the questionaire once I get some advice on what I asked above
Also Im on an extreme low budget for repairs/purchases so Im more inclined towards keeping the laptop and building a PC next year or something :(

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
My questions are-
1. Is it possible that my HDD has corrupt sectors or some other component dying?
2. My charger was no longer recognised and to charge my battery, I had to force push it inside so that it would be recognised and charge otherwise the charger would simply power the laptop and throttle the CPU(Im using Throttlestop to get rid of this issue and everything was fine since 2-3 months until this) and I also bought a new charger but it has the same issues so Im guessing its the power connector
3.Should I attempt reflow of the gpu using a hair dryer or simply use it without the dgpu till I can save up for a new PC/Laptop(can take a long time)

1.Use Crystal Disk info and check the status of your HDD.
2.Try using a different battery.
3.Try re-applying a good after market thermal paste for both the processor and GPU.Clean all the vents.

Since you said one game works fine on the GPU it maybe a software issue and not hardware. A quick search gave me this AMD link.Go through it and see if it can helps.
How to troubleshoot ?Display driver stopped responding and has recovered?, ATIKMDAG.sys type errors

P.S- If your GPU is dead you may have to change the entire motherboard since the graphics card are soldered to the Motherboard.My friend's Dell laptop's GPU died and the laptop would BSOD on playing games.He had to replace the motherboard and now he has stopped playing games.It cost him around 14k.IMO don't invest much in repairing the laptop. Save the money for the new computer.

Top Bottom