Advice: Lumia 720 Lumia 630 or the Moto G

123hero

In the zone
Hi all Digitians,

I am on the look out for a new smart phone in the 10-15k range. My priorities are as follows

1. Good Durability
2.Battery life
3. Reliability
4. After Sales
5.Music
6.File sharing
7.Documents.

I am planning to use the phone for about 1-1.5 years and then plan to go for a flagship model.
I am open to only trusted brands like Nokia, Samsung, LG, Sony, HTC...( No Karbonn, Micromax, Gionee, Spice, Lava)
I am currently confused between Lumia 720, Lumia 630, and the Moto G.
Please advice which one should i go for. Is it worth going for the Windows OS since the new update to 8.1 has resolved the file sharing issues. Lack of apps is a concern but i do not game a lot so its quite okay for me.
Any other mobile that is lined up for release for which its worth waiting ? Please help me sort this out ?

Regards,
123Hero

OP

123hero

In the zone
Any particular reason as to why moto g ? I am not that a hardcore user of android. I never root my device and for me the novelty of apps die down after a week

kaz

right here
[MENTION=153733]123hero[/MENTION] don't buy any phone with 512mb ram because some apps have a minimum requirement of 1GB no matter android or windows :) So, I won't be buying 720 or 630 because of that reason...Moto G is good but camera is not at all good...LG L90 @16k and Grand 2 @18k can also be considered

rish1

Cyborg Agent
LG L90 @ 14.5-15k online..

if you badly want windows phone for whatever reason

then wait For Microsoft Lumia/Surface 730 ( Previously known as Nokia Lumia 730 ) !!! nobody knows when it will launch though ...

No more Nokia Lumia haha

Last edited:

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
[MENTION=153733]123hero[/MENTION] don't buy any phone with 512mb ram because some apps have a minimum requirement of 1GB no matter android or windows :) So, I won't be buying 720 or 630 because of that reason...Moto G is good but camera is not at all good...LG L90 @16k and Grand 2 @18k can also be considered

on wp, 1gb isnt really necessary,only 2% of apps on the store need 1gb
i can even play san andreas on my 720 properly

- - - Updated - - -

the current update is the Nokias not from Microsoft, plus the developer preview if installed will void the warranty

not really, i got my screen changed last month under warranty(accidental protection) while running the 8.1 dev preview

- - - Updated - - -

stick to stock android phones if you really are keen on android

OP

123hero

In the zone
on wp, 1gb isnt really necessary,only 2% of apps on the store need 1gb
i can even play san andreas on my 720 properly

- - - Updated - - -

not really, i got my screen changed last month under warranty(accidental protection) while running the 8.1 dev preview

I have zeroed in on the L720.....Well i would like to know a few things from you since u use the L720
1. Is it possible to open documents from SD Card in the MS OFFICE ?
2. Is it possible to send files from SD card over whatsapp, and bluetooth to all phones ?
3. Has the file duplication issue been solved ?
4. Is it possible to upload documents from the SD card via the gmail client ?
Thanks a lot

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
I have zeroed in on the L720.....Well i would like to know a few things from you since u use the L720
1. Is it possible to open documents from SD Card in the MS OFFICE ?
2. Is it possible to send files from SD card over whatsapp, and bluetooth to all phones ?
3. Has the file duplication issue been solved ?
4. Is it possible to upload documents from the SD card via the gmail client ?
Thanks a lot

1. i dont really open documents off my sd card but i think you can,i usually use the file manager
edit- just checked you can use the file manager to open any file from the sd card
2. yeah but it has the same file size limitations as android,ios,BBs version of whatsapp
bluetooth file transfer is fully supported since windows phone 8(and 8.1 improves upon the speed etc and unlocks more hardware potential from all the wp8 lumias- bluetooth LE -low energy etc)
3. file duplication is no longer present for me since the black update and used to plague both my 720 and 820 for a very long time but the issue is completely resolved
4. yep for certain documents , you may need to use the file (manager) app
all 4 issues are resolved since the amber update onwards
im sure you will love the phone(ps- get a capdase or amzer case for it,it retains the looks and protects the phone from damage)
hope i helped :)

OP

123hero

In the zone
1. i dont really open documents off my sd card but i think you can,i usually use the file manager
2. yeah but it has the same file size limitations as android,ios,BBs version of whatsapp
bluetooth file transfer is fully supported since windows phone 8(and 8.1 improves upon the speed etc and unlocks more hardware potential from all the wp8 lumias- bluetooth LE -low energy etc)
3. file duplication is no longer present for me since the black update and used to plague both my 720 and 820 for a very long time but the issue is completely resolved
4. yep for certain documents , you may need to use the file (manager) app
so yeah all 4 are possible
hope i helped :)

yup certainly..Thanks a ton ....Can u please try opening a document from your SD card in Office and let me know
How do i update my phone to Win 8.1 ( Official ..not the developer preview ). I currently dont have a WiFi Connection ..is the update possible over 3G ?...
Is it sensible to wait for a price drop in flipkart ? As of now its not available in most of the stores, all saying the product has been discontinued. Will the price drop further before going out of stock ?
Any more Lumia lined up for release in india ? Like an upgraded 720 with more ram ?

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
yup certainly..Thanks a ton ....Can u please try opening a document from your SD card in Office and let me know
How do i update my phone to Win 8.1 ( Official ..not the developer preview ). I currently dont have a WiFi Connection ..is the update possible over 3G ?...
Is it sensible to wait for a price drop in flipkart ? As of now its not available in most of the stores, all saying the product has been discontinued. Will the price drop further before going out of stock ?
Any more Lumia lined up for release in india ? Like an upgraded 720 with more ram ?

documents from sd card using office works perfect just tried a document

official 8.1 (lumia cyan update) will be officially released in a few weeks,update should be possible over 3G(have tried before)
i dont think the price will drop,lumia 730 will take a 7-8 months to be announced imho

OP

123hero

In the zone
I was just glancing at some of the reviews in flipkart and its a mixed response ..some have praised the phone while others have criticised it like hell....i could find some common issues...especially some issues with call and the screen being delicate ...WOuld it be sensible going for an almost " stopped production " model considering that parts may be difficult to obtain later.

- - - Updated - - -

documents from sd card using office works perfect just tried a document

official 8.1 (lumia cyan update) will be officially released in a few weeks,update should be possible over 3G(have tried before)
i dont think the price will drop,lumia 730 will take a 7-8 months to be announced imho

I was just glancing at some of the reviews in flipkart and its a mixed response ..some have praised the phone while others have criticised it like hell....i could find some common issues...especially some issues with call and the screen being delicate ...WOuld it be sensible going for an almost " stopped production " model considering that parts may be difficult to obtain later.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW

- - - Updated - - -

not really, its a great phone, people who criticize it are usually people who havent really used the phone or actually any WP properly
i personally hate samsung phones but on flipkart,most of the galaxy s5 reviews are full of bs just like the reviews on lumia 720
dont worry about parts,all nokias have parts readily available usually
the screen isnt delicate as such,its gorilla glass and is very tough in comparison to most android phones
ive dropped mine without a cover a few times,only a few minute scratches nothing more but i still bought a capdase cover just in case
thing is people dont use or own some products but pass their own judgements for no reason,the most common for Windows Phones is "dual-core" cpu or "less ram"
people forget iphone also has lesser ram and a dual core cpu(yes even the iphone 5s) yet it runs smooth, the reason being android is resource hungry and is open hence it needs high specs to function and despite that , all androids usually go slow after a certain period of time(even my nexus 5)
wp and ios are lighter on the system and usually the dual core cpus used can beat most quad core android phones usually

Top Bottom