advice for sony vaio ... please help

shohita

Right off the assembly line
hello everyone ,
i own a sony vaio E series model no. VPCEB26FG.

now the problem is that when i bought it i didnt make the recovery CD , and also was foolish enough to not make partitions :( so i have a 500 GB c drive ( i know ...... sounds stupid)

15 days ago my kaspersky key got blacklisted and there was no antivirus in my laptop for a week .

I think theres a virus , and also the speed of my laptop is slow , i tried system restore but i dont think that worked . I scanned the system with avira antivirus and MS security essentials but they didnt detect anything .
Now i am thinking of formatting it and doing a fresh install but since i dont have a recovery CD will i lose all the bundled VAIO softwares i got ? I didnt find them on sony esupport :(

Please help , should i format it or try a boot scan with avast ?

D@rekills4

In the zone
hello everyone ,
i own a sony vaio E series model no. VPCEB26FG.

now the problem is that when i bought it i didnt make the recovery CD , and also was foolish enough to not make partitions :( so i have a 500 GB c drive ( i know ...... sounds stupid)

15 days ago my kaspersky key got blacklisted and there was no antivirus in my laptop for a week .

I think theres a virus , and also the speed of my laptop is slow , i tried system restore but i dont think that worked . I scanned the system with avira antivirus and MS security essentials but they didnt detect anything .
Now i am thinking of formatting it and doing a fresh install but since i dont have a recovery CD will i lose all the bundled VAIO softwares i got ? I didnt find them on sony esupport :(

Please help , should i format it or try a boot scan with avast ?

Boot scan with Avast!, if still no luck then there is no choice but to say good bye to your bundled softwares....

OP
shohita

shohita

is there no way i can take a backup of those softwares ? someone please help :sad:

pauldmps

Banned
Aren't those softwares available on Sony's website ? In that case, just download them from there. Most softwares that Sony bundles with their laptops are bloatwares, anyways.

OP
shohita

shohita

@ pauldmps and ico
thanks a lot for replying :smile:

could you please suggest from where i should download win7 home premium ? And if i download it from somewhere and use the key given below my laptop then would it be same as original windows , as in , not pirated

and also please suggest me some free antivirus that doesnt have a trial version :|

pauldmps

Banned
@ pauldmps and ico
thanks a lot for replying :smile:

could you please suggest from where i should download win7 home premium ? And if i download it from somewhere and use the key given below my laptop then would it be same as original windows , as in , not pirated

and also please suggest me some free antivirus that doesnt have a trial version :|

I believe that it will be genuine if you use your own key. See this:Windows 7 ISO x86 and x64 Official Direct Download Links (Ultimate, Professional and Home Premium) » My Digital Life

And for AV, I'll recommend Microsoft Security Essentials. I'm using it since it was launched & it is the best light-weight AV solution.

OP
shohita

shohita

and could you please guide me how to go about saving win 7 on a cd , should i use ashampoo or use the inbuilt software , and then how do i do a fresh install

thanks in advance :) you're a real saviour

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Note. We are not entertaining any sort of piracy here. Please avoid sharing links. If you need any help, use PM.

Better if you can call Sony Vaio people and ask them to do a fresh install for you. My friends have got it done.

pauldmps

Banned
@ico
The link I have posted is completely legal as long as you use your own product key.

@shohita
Do not download Windows7 from torrents. Almost all Win7 builds available have modified or harmful code in it. Better use the link I provided & use your own key.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
@ OP:

Basically you want to do a fresh install AND have a legitimate key.

1. You would have got some driver CD's with your Vaio. Do you have these.
2. Download the ISO for the M$ Win7 flavor you want.
3. Make a bootable USB using this method.
4. Validate the install using your authentic key.
5. Once you reach the desktop install all drivers from the Vaoi discs OR pull them off Sony's website.
6. Patch your Win7 via Windows Live.

This is the most we can advice you.

For an anti virus chose Avast/Avira/AVG else purchase a key.

OP
shohita

shohita

could you please tell me what is meant by ''Patch your Win7 via Windows Live''

and no i did not get any driver CDs or any other CDs with my laptop

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
could you please tell me what is meant by ''Patch your Win7 via Windows Live''

and no i did not get any driver CDs or any other CDs with my laptop

Then you will need to go to the Sony Website and download all the drivers for your specific set.

Patch Win7 = pull in all the updates which authentic (WGA certified) M$ users are eligible for. Basically you set the updates to automatic, and install what ever the www throws at you.
:)

Top Bottom