ADSL with Fedora core 3???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZiOn

Broken In
hi guys
i want to know if my ADSL modem will work with Fedora core 3 ??
i have a 128kbps airtel "broadband" connxn and when i asked the support ppl at airtel they said that they do not provide support for linux and that it will not work. if so is there any way to get it to work??
i have not yet installed liux though. jus waiting to get a new hard disk so that i can create a dual boot config with Xp and linux.
also can anyone provide me with any links as to how to go about installing fedora in dual boot config( i mean the steps involved like partitioning and how much space to allot to each partition??? )
thanks in advance
:)

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
I too got my DATA One connection (ADSL modem) yesterday and it will be activated today so give me a day i will set up the connection today and let you know the details.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Good News Guys My Data One Connection is up and running I am getting a speed of 254.8 kilobits per second and the connection is stable for the past one hour Thank you BSNL for the lovely gift Now i will try to set up the system on my debian based firewall and router

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
The system is up. The only configration needed is the stting of the default route to point to the IP of the modem and also add the modem and its ip in the /etc/hosts file. There is no configration change required in the modem

OP
Z

ZiOn

Broken In
:? hmmm....i'm a bit of a newbie to linux so a little more detailed explanation would be very much appreciated. :)

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
No problem, I will list out the steps i have take, see the adsl modem has an ip in the dataone connection it is 192.168.1.1 so as my other systems work on the 192.168.0.xxx network the first thing to be done is to open a browser and open the modem web configration page ie *192.168.1.1 now change the ip of the modem ti 192.168.0.xxx i use 192.168.0.100 then save the settings and reboot the modem next in the /etc/hosts file add the entry for the new device my /etc/hosts looks as under
192.168.0.1 baby baby
192.168.0.2 baba baba
192.168.0.3 pebble pebble
192.168.0.4 harpreet
192.168.0.5 bubu bubu
192.168.0.100 dataone dataone
next set the route in the linux kernel to have the default pointing to the modem ie
route add default 192.168.0.100 eth0
that all now restart the network by
etc/init.d/networking restart
and you will connect to the net without any problem

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
pradeep_chauhan said:
No problem, I will list out the steps i have take, see the adsl modem has an ip in the dataone connection it is 192.168.1.1 so as my other systems work on the 192.168.0.xxx network the first thing to be done is to open a browser and open the modem web configration page ie *192.168.1.1 now change the ip of the modem ti 192.168.0.xxx i use 192.168.0.100 then save the settings and reboot the modem next in the /etc/hosts file add the entry for the new device my /etc/hosts looks as under
192.168.0.1 baby baby
192.168.0.2 baba baba
192.168.0.3 pebble pebble
192.168.0.4 harpreet
192.168.0.5 bubu bubu
192.168.0.100 dataone dataone
next set the route in the linux kernel to have the default pointing to the modem ie
route add default 192.168.0.100 eth0
that all now restart the network by
etc/init.d/networking restart
and you will connect to the net without any problem

@pradeep, i have been trying this since this morning.

when i was setting the ip address to 192.168.0.100 firefox crashed. and after that the configuration page is not opening up (i've tried 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.0.100).

I've also tried the rp-pppoe conection, but that too seems to not working. Pls help

I'm usign FC4

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
hi i have shifted to Delhi recently and got a mtnl triband 512kbps connection today. please bear me out i will come back on this tommorow as i am still setting up the stuff.

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
Ya its solved now. It was a complaint with the DSL Modem. I just replaced it. and its working now. Thanks pradeep for ur tut

mediator

Technomancer
Hmmm.....As 4 ZIon...never trust service ppl !!! Previously I had MTNL broadband installed. Must tell ya the people who came to install were looking very techy. I thought they are very much learnt about these ADSL's and routers etc. But when they started installin they took out paper which had instructions for installing ADSL. When I asked how to install on LINIX they were completely blank and asked what is LINUX??

Neways, u just install linux and evry thing will be fine. If u still get problems then u may PM me or post!

joe2

Right off the assembly line
Hi,

I want to install the MTNL ADSL modem with Fedora4. Please advice step by step process to configure the MTNL ADSL modem in Fedora4.

Thanks in advance,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom