Adsl router needed with usb 3.0 for streaming movies from 3tb hdd

piks

Broken In
hello guys,

I am currently using bsnl broadband (1445 plan) and my router is almost dead thats why i am here in the search of a new one.

Requirements:

1. adsl router
2. good range (2000 sq.ft home)
3. usb 3.0 (want to stream media from 3tb wd hdd and its a big priority)
4. should be compatiable with apple devices like macbook,iPad etc
5. budget is 3k

I am not particular about any brand but suggestions are always welcomed :)

Thanks in advance to those who ll help.

Last edited:

bikramjitkar

In the zone
You can't connect an external hdd directly to a router through USB for streaming. You'll need a dedicated media server for that.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
You can't connect an external hdd directly to a router through USB for streaming. You'll need a dedicated media server for that.

TP Link W8968 does that but you'll need externally powered HDD.

How to determine if a USB hard drive is compatible with TP-LINK routers? - Welcome to TP-LINK

OP
P

piks

Broken In
TP Link W8968 does that but you'll need externally powered HDD.

How to determine if a USB hard drive is compatible with TP-LINK routers? - Welcome to TP-LINK

Thanks a lot for your suggestion.I am thinking of hooking up wd my book 3tb with the router.Is there any problem as mine is a 3tb one?
And how much read write speed should i get if i ll buy a usb 2.0 router?My primary purpose is to stream hd media from hdd,if an usb 2.0 ll suffice then i am ok with that.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Thanks a lot for your suggestion.I am thinking of hooking up wd my book 3tb with the router.Is there any problem as mine is a 3tb one?
And how much read write speed should i get if i ll buy a usb 2.0 router?My primary purpose is to stream hd media from hdd,if an usb 2.0 ll suffice then i am ok with that.

From the same link:

The below are four requirements of the supported USB hard drive.

1. The hard drive formats

Currently, only the FAT/FAT32/NTFS formatis supported. It does not support ext3, which is a Linux partition format​

Capacity

In theory, there is no capacity limit, but there are two aspects as follows which restrict the capacity:​
A. Currently, the GPT partitioning is not supported. Due to limitations of MBR, each drive can only read up to 2TB.​
B. Supports at most eight partitions in theory, if the hard drive has more than eight partitions, it just load the first 8 partitions. (On the same drive, the total capacity of each partition cannot exceed 2TB; If there are different hard drives connected via an USB hub, in theory it can identify a maximum capacity of 8 * 2TB)​

3. Encryption

For the hard drive encrypted by hardware, it can only be loaded after decryption.

4. Additional Power Adapter

If your HDD Drive needs a power supply more than 500mA, but it does not have an additional power adapter, then this hard drive can not work properly with our routers since ours only provide 500mA power supply on the USB port.

If your hard drive meets all the above points, but still cannot be recognised, then it must be a incompatibility issue between your USB device and the router.

About read/write speeds, lesser than theoretical max USB 2.0 speeds (480 Mbit/s)

warrior123

Broken In
I use TP Link TD W8968 USB point to stream movies to my mobile directly from my WD 2TB External hard drive. It works flawlessly.

OP
P

piks

Broken In
I use TP Link TD W8968 USB point to stream movies to my mobile directly from my WD 2TB External hard drive. It works flawlessly.

Do you stream 1080p content without any problem?And how much read write speed are you getting?
One more thing can i use the usb storage sharing from the macbook as well and iPhone?Me too thinking of getting a w8968 but my problem is it may not read my wd my book 3tb!!

warrior123

Broken In
Yes. It streams 1080p. How to check out read/write speed?

You can order it and try it out. If not satisfied you can return it.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Does it support 3tb external hard disk?

Read it again -_-
2. Capacity

In theory, there is no capacity limit, but there are two aspects as follows which restrict the capacity:
A. Currently, the GPT partitioning is not supported. Due to limitations of MBR, each drive can only read up to 2TB.
B. Supports at most eight partitions in theory, if the hard drive has more than eight partitions, it just load the first 8 partitions. (On the same drive, the total capacity of each partition cannot exceed 2TB; If there are different hard drives connected via an USB hub, in theory it can identify a maximum capacity of 8 * 2TB)

Top Bottom