Adding more hard drives ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hittheswitch

Self-Obsession
I had a day off from work yesterday so i decided to assemble a desktop for myself. I had a whole lot of junk lying in the store room.
By the end of the i had a decent desktop with a 17" monitor (and wireless keyboard + mouse :p ). Now i'm facing a problem here. I assembled a desktop with an Intel 915 motherboard. It has 2 sata slots and allows one IDE cable. This way i can add 2 sata devices and two PATA. The situation is :
I have 3 IDE drives, one SATA HDD and 2 IDE DVD-Writers... I wanna attach all of them (I know i'm a little greedy :D ).
What i've done for now is that i have attached 2 IDE drives and a SATA HDD. I Installed XP by attaching the DVD-writer for some time. I know you guys can come up with a solution. I dont like both of my DVD writers and a HDD lyinh idle in my desktop.

Thanks in advance :)

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^ okay. There are IDE to SATA converters available in the market. This way you can attach one IDE drive to SATA port.

If you have free PCI slot, get PCI IDE extension card and to this you can add another two IDE drives.

it looks something like this: *www.dealtime.com/xPO-Fanner-Massco...xpress-x1-2-Internal-SATA-Ports-2-eSATA-Ports

OP
hittheswitch

hittheswitch

Self-Obsession
Thank you guys for your prompt replies.
Yep.. the PCI IDE card seems to be a nice solution. This way 'll be able to hook up the additonal HDD and DVD writer but there would be a DVD writer going to waste. Anyways, I can live with one DVD writer going to waste. But the problem is, I have two PCI slots and both of them are currently being use. One has a TV-tuner and the other has a WiFi controller ( nobody wonders how much stuff i had lying in my store room :p )...
The second solution is a SATA to IDE converter i believe... I'll look for it on the internet...

Here is guide from TD forum member ChotoCheeta
*www.chotocheeta.com/2007/10/21/con...sktop-35-hard-disk-to-external-usb-hard-disk/
I myself did the same (though I got "TAG" brand of convertors)

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Thank you guys for your prompt replies.
Yep.. the PCI IDE card seems to be a nice solution. This way 'll be able to hook up the additonal HDD and DVD writer but there would be a DVD writer going to waste. Anyways, I can live with one DVD writer going to waste. But the problem is, I have two PCI slots and both of them are currently being use. One has a TV-tuner and the other has a WiFi controller ( nobody wonders how much stuff i had lying in my store room :p )...
The second solution is a SATA to IDE converter i believe... I'll look for it on the internet...

Most PCI IDE cards use x1 PCI slot (the tiny pci slot that is about 1/2 inch in length) and not the usual slots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom