Acer Aspire 3002NLC Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sourabh

Laptoping
Acer Aspire 3002NLC Review

So here is the review of the Acer Laptop which has been mine for nearly 2 days now. The laptop comes preloaded with Linpus Linux and boasts the following specs:

*img272.echo.cx/img272/5425/composite20050523164011h18ij.th.jpg*img180.echo.cx/img180/2097/16nh1.th.jpg

Notebook Specifications:

Processor: Mobile AMD Sempron™ processor 2800+(1.6 GHz)
Chipset : SiSM760GX
Main Memory: 256 Mb DDR-RAM @333Mhz(Max 2GB)
Display: 15 XGA TFT LCD(1024x768 pixels 16.7 million colors @ 120 Hz)
Video Graphics & Memory:

- Integrated 3D AGP graphics with up to 128 MB of shared memory (512 MB or above of system memory)
- Integrated 3D AGP graphics with up to 64 MB of shared memory (256 MB of system memory)
-Dual independent display support
-External resolution/refresh rate:

* 2048 x 1536: 60/75 Hz
* 1600 x 1200: 60/75/85/100/120 Hz
* 1400 x 1050: 60 Hz
* 1280 x 1024: 60/75/85/100/120/160 Hz
* 1024 x 768: 60/75/85/100/120/160/200 Hz
* 800 x 600: 60/75/85/100/120/160/200 Hz

Audio:
Audio system with two built-in stereo speakers
Built-in microphone
MS-Sound compatible

Hard Drive:

40GB HDD ATA-100

Optical Drive: DVD/CD-RW Combo drive
o Read: 24X CD-ROM, 24X CD-R, 24X CD-RW, 8X DVD-ROM, 8X DVD-R, 4X DVD-RW, 8X DVD+R, 4X DVD+RW,
o Write: 24X CD-R, 24X CD-RW

Other details:
56K Fax/Modem,
10/100Mbps LAN
Battery Life: 1.5-hour battery life, 2.5-hour quick-charge, 3.5-hour charge-in-use
Dimensions: 364 (W) x 279 (D) x 33.9/38.9 (H) mm
Weight: 2.8kg.
Warranty & e-support: 1 year warranty (International) I/O ports

I/O Ports:
Three USB 2.0 ports
External display (VGA) port
Type II PC Card slot
Ethernet (RJ-45) port
Modem (RJ-11) port
External display (VGA) port
Microphone/line-in jack
Headphones/speaker/line-out port
Type II PC Card slot
DC-in jack for AC adaptor

Layout And Design: The laptop comes with a Silver –Black layout and with its sleek design, it does appeal to most. The front panel boundaring the 15” TFT Screen, the Keypad & TouchPad comes in a unicolour black look which makes a perfect visual duo with the Silver Body of the laptop. The Touchpad with 4-way integrated scroll button is a nice addition. Four easy-launch buttons along with the Power button are placed above the keyboard layout on the right hand side and can be configured by the user to launch different Programs. The Headphones/speaker/line-out port are inconveniently placed on the front panel of the laptop, if they had been on one of the two sides it would really had been icing on the cake. The Power adapter is a 65 W AC adaptor and comes in a sporty black colour.

Performance: From the specs, it is clear that the laptop comes with a descent config and can handle Regular browsing, office works, viewing movies on DVD and some occasional gaming. The 15.0" XGA color TFT LCD, 1024 x 768 pixel resolution takes a maximum refresh rate of 120 Hz and is quite a treat to watch and have no dead pixels as supposed to be rumors with the Acer Entry level laptops. The hard-disk may be a downer for a few since it comes with a 40 Gb variant. The speakers are placed at the front panel, and give acceptable sound quality which is surprisingly better than in most other laptops, to say the least.

Gaming: I was infact surprised to see that even with the onboard meagre Sis760Gx Video Adapter having 64 Mb of shared memory from the system memory, Games like NFS Underground 2, Fifa2005 played almost fine even at a resolution of 1024x768 with low settings. When tried to work on these games with high settings on the same resolution, the game ran fine but there were some unusual jerks. So 800x600 resolution with high settings seems to be correct choice for playing these games. Even after more than two and a half hours of continuous gaming, the heat generated by the laptops were within acceptable limits.

On the Move: The Aspire 3002NLC fails miserably to be used on its batteries. The battery can barely manage to keep the notebook running for a little over an hour while watching movie DVD’s.

Final Thoughts: The Drivers bundled with the CD are fully working and have no issues with Windows XP Pro SP2 . All in all, this is a no-non sense laptop at a price tag of 33770/- Rs- {I'm from India}. An extra 256 Mb RAM Module would be an icing on the cake. The price tag is inclusive of a Acer Laptop Carry Case. If you ever dreamt of a laptop and planned to do all the things you did with your desktop PC at an affordable price, then the Acer Aspire 3002 is for you.

Pros:
(+) Kick A$$ Config to suffice most users
(+) Combo Drive in a Entry Level Notebook
(+) Killer Price Tag makes it a more viable option

Cons:
(-)Low battery Life
(-)So-so graphics adapter with shared system memory.
(-)Inconveniently placed Sound ports at the front panel

Other Pics
Sisoft System Summary Full

Last Words: All in all, this is a no-non sense laptop at a price tag of 33770/- Rs. An extra 256 Mb RAM Module would be an icing on the cake. The price tag is inclusive of a Acer Laptop Carry Case. If you ever dreamt of a laptop and planned to do all the things you did with your desktop PC at an affordable price, then the Acer Aspire 3002 is for you. Book one till the stocks last and yeah lastly this laptop took me almost 15 phone calls to different dealers of Acer Laptops in Mumbai to get my hands on one. A Sempron M 2800+ processor which does a 1.6 Ghz, 15” XGA TFT screen, 256 Mb DDR RAM, a COMBO drive, 3 USB ports & PCMCIA slot for upgradeability , An Acer Leather Carry Case and a whole 1 yr of International warranty on the laptop. What else can you ask for within a sub 34k budget for normal buyers and a 32k for students after the 2k rebate later.?

If you have any more questions/queries abt the laptop , i would be very happy to answer them.

Kannan

In the zone
Superb laptop for sub 35 K *members.shaw.ca/wenpigs/excited/Jumpy.gif

Great buy Sourab *members.shaw.ca/wenpigs/excited/clap2.gif

delhibhai1000

Journeyman
@Sourabh: Do they allow u to add more RAM at the time of purchase, & whether that voids the warranty or not??
Do u knwo whether it can take up DDR400?
Also, wats the price for a 512Mb DDR400 stick for notebooks??

sumitava_b

In the zone
Great buy, Sourabh. Acer is really scooping the laptop market with killer prices!! :shock:

How ever, how is ur acer battery is performing?

OP
Sourabh

Sourabh

Laptoping
@delhibhai :

The acer guys themselves are coming to my place in a couple of days to add the xtra 256 Mb ram on my laptop for about 2700/- rs and wod be changing the IBM mouse with it

So the warranty wont be void if u add the extra DDR RAM if u do it from Acer guys themselves because they wod place another sticker of ACER over it

AFAIk PC3200 isnt supported

abt the price of 512Mb no idea dude, they are charging 2700 rs for another 256 Mb of PC2700 DDR SDRAM

rohanbee

Padawan
Very good buy and a very good review. I think other forum members should give such kind of reviews too.

Everything else is ok but i think a graphic card is needed whatever kind it may have been !!

Kannan

In the zone
I agree with rohanbee. I prefer a standalone Graphics Card with 128 MB RAM.

Still for sub 35 k this graphic processor is OK.

Great buy Sourab *members.shaw.ca/wenpigs/excited/clap2.gif

mohit

The Hardware Labs
this is definitely a vfm laptop and is surely going to take the market by storm... a very good buy for sub 35k. you have got everything man good speed, decent gaming capability , good screen , combo drive ... though they shud have integrated bluetooth and irda as well but then also a nice buy.

busyanuj

In the zone
hey sOurabh, nice purchase there.

total of 512 mb ram would be good.
cd-rw/dvd combo is good, keeps it future proof.

overall a good purchase considering Acer's pricing 8)

super_i_man

Broken In
Hows the laptop doing

I am planning to buy Acer's new offering TravelMate 2355 NXI which is advertised at 27500 + 2500 + Taxes. The config is same as the one reviewed above but with an Intel Cerelon M processor.
I am little worried about the reliability of the Acer product. In some posts I have read about TFT going bad etc and optical drive not working.
what about Compaq M2002 AL for 34000 with the same config. Do you know of any problems with this compaq model. What do you think and what is your opinion. and is your Laptop giving you any problems (touchwood!)

OP
Sourabh

Sourabh

Laptoping
Bad battery life thats it

besides the sempron 2800+ M is atleast better than the Intel Celeron M Processors

cant expect more than 1 hr at the most

mebbe the compaq one wod have a better battery life, read my review i have tried to be as neutral as possible :)

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
with compaq you get toshiba HDD.. philips cdrw/dvd-rom... samsung/lg tft.... etc... thats why its a bit over-priced....

Kannan

In the zone
Hey sourab can u produce a full system report using SISSoft Sandra in HTML format.

It would be more helpful to understand the laptop so that I can recommend to others. *members.shaw.ca/wenpigs/misc/book.gif

Please compress the HTML Report to ZIP or better to RAR.

I saw the pictures and were good *members.shaw.ca/wenpigs/happy/gap.gif

OP
Sourabh

Sourabh

Laptoping
abey i have already posted tht in text file na

anyways i m on my laptop rite now wod do it in a while

y do u want a HTML and not the text file version?

EDIT:

*www.freewebs.com/adpinfo/sysreport.rar

suave_guy

pedal to metal
falling prices of brands like acer n compaq shud be a wake up call for samsung n toshiba....they are really overpriced....

also dell has not gauged the indian market that well as of yet....the day it will introduce a 30K and 40K laptop, i guess the competition will be huge....

but when...?

btw a very good buy Sourabh....just get that additional 256 mb ram and good quality headphones...altec lansing AHP512....

ENjoy....

Kannan

In the zone
Hey soura thanks for the report yaar *members.shaw.ca/wenpigs/friends/shake2.gif

Saved in my system and has forwarded to my friend who is looking for that particular model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom