access other drives from fedora

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaurav@digit

www.ggauravr.blogspot.com
hi guys..i've got an hp laptop with vista home premium loaded..i recently installed fedora 8 which is doing well..but the problem is i'm unable to access other drives even though they r listed when i boot into fedora:(
..plz explain in detail how do i access other drives in linux..and play music and all..or atleast give me links to the resources...plz..

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
You need to install ntfs-3g in order to access NTFS drives.. if you've installed GNOME then the problem will no longer exist there.. a small shell script can also be written which will automatically mount all the NTFS drives with read/write capabilites.

Flake

Linux User
Which version of Fedora are you using? ntfs-3g is pre-install in Fedora 7 onwards. You have to edit /etc/fstab file only and all windows partitions will mount automatically. You wont have to execute any command later on. Open Terminal/Konsole and execute this
Code:
 su - fdisk -l
Post output here. * Its small L in fdisk -l.

Install NTFS 3G and then make sure that Windows is shut down properly to ensure that the drives are accessible on Linux.

OP
G

gaurav@digit

www.ggauravr.blogspot.com
@ghost at rest
heres the output u needed..wat next:confused:
*i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp10/ggauravr/Screenshot.png
its fedora 9

Flake

Linux User
Open Terminal or Konsole and execute this
Code:
su -
cd /media
mkdir win_c win_d win_e win_f
nano /etc/fstab

Last command will open /etc/fstab in nano editor.
Add this code at the end of file :
Code:
/dev/sda1    /media/win_c  ntfs-3g   defaults,umask=0 0 0
/dev/sda3   /media/win_d  ntfs-3g   defaults,umask=0 0 0
/dev/sda4    /media/win_e  ntfs-3g   defaults,umask=0 0 0
/dev/sda6    /media/win_f  ntfs-3g   defaults,umask=0 0 0
Press Ctrl+X, Y and hit Enter key to save file.

Execute mount -a command or reboot machine. Windows partitions will be mounted in /media/win_c, d, e and f folders. You will have full access in those partitions.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Yeah.. the above command will mount all your drives automatically.. but you need to shutdown your windows properly so that you can access the drives.. if you don't it will say that $LogFile is corrupt.. just add -o force in the line and it will force mount them if they're not clean..

Flake

Linux User
Yeah.. the above command will mount all your drives automatically.. but you need to shutdown your windows properly so that you can access the drives.. if you don't it will say that $LogFile is corrupt.. just add -o force in the line and it will force mount them if they're not clean..
I won't suggest you to use force option. It must be used only if Linux couldn't mount partition through regular mount options.
Improper Windows OS shutdown must be avoided.

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
hi guys..i've got an hp laptop with vista home premium loaded..i recently installed fedora 8 which is doing well..but the problem is i'm unable to access other drives even though they r listed when i boot into fedora:(
..plz explain in detail how do i access other drives in linux..and play music and all..or atleast give me links to the resources...plz..
IIRC, manual mounting is no long necessary in most modern day distros atleast on Gnome. For you to start using it right away, you need to have 'hal' installed and the daemon 'hald' started for Nautilus to mount all them automatically. It should also be seen that you add yourself to the 'haldaemon' usergroup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom