Not open for further replies.
OP
g_goyal2000

g_goyal2000

Youngling
kin.vachhani said:
well better to fomat than doing this much crap
Wow!!! What a neat tip!!! :!:
I would have never thought of that. If I'd known that, I would have never posted my query on this site or other sites.:mad:
By the way, I think u don't understand the meaning of a "forum".
We all know that formatting the system would rid us of all our computer problems (well, almost all).
But finding other alternatives to formatting is what the forums are all about.
I'm not trying to be "much" arrogant but if u have the energy to sit around for atleast 2-3 hours installing all the softwares, then go ahead & format u'r system.
I really hope u face this kind of problem in near future.:evil:
Then only u'll understand.

Last edited:
A

aberry

I'm the administrator on my home computer running Win XP Home and McAffee Security. The solution posted by deback did not work for me. I still get the Access Denied message whenever I make changes to Start programs in msconfig. I have an HP 8250 printer.

OP
g_goyal2000

g_goyal2000

Youngling
aberry said:
I'm the administrator on my home computer running Win XP Home and McAffee Security. The solution posted by deback did not work for me. I still get the Access Denied message whenever I make changes to Start programs in msconfig. I have an HP 8250 printer.
When did this problem start? Did u install any program or update after which this problem started? Did u try System Restore?

jneaves

Right off the assembly line
The regedit below

Run RegEdit.
Under /HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/PML Driver HPZ12, click on Start at the right, and then change the Dword value from 2 (automatic) or 3 (I believe for manual) to 4 (for disabled).

This resolves the issue with getting the "Access denied error was returned....." when making changes on msconfig, but now the Tray Icon for my HP Photosmart Printer 7450 now shows disconnected. You can still make changes in msconfig without the above edit. The error message is more of an annoyance than a severe problem, either you get the error and can print or you make the change and your printer shows disconnected. Has anyone notified HP to the problem the PML driver is causing with msconfig or is this just something we have to deal with as a minor annoyance.

SmackDaddy

deback said:
Run RegEdit.
Under /HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/PML Driver HPZ12, click on Start at the right, and then change the Dword value from 2 (automatic) or 3 (I believe for manual) to 4 (for disabled).

After I did this, I've received no "access denied" messages when running msconfig and services.msc.
Thanks!
Thanks for posting this deback, it cured my problems. I did the disable function (4). Tested what I use on my printer and everything worked.

AKiyama

I realize this topic is old as dirt and I'm sorry for necroing it, but I have a question as well. I have the HP Photosmart C3100 All-in-one series, and I've gotten the same error as well. I edited the regedit like you guys said, which fixed the msconfig issue, but I still have a reoccuring problem.

*i23.photobucket.com/albums/b355/tanas0/untitled.jpg

This keeps popping up every so often and it's so aggrivating. I know it has something to do with my HP Photosmart printer, any ideas? It didn't happen until I installed it. :( Help if you can.

OP
g_goyal2000

g_goyal2000

Youngling
AKiyama said:
I realize this topic is old as dirt and I'm sorry for necroing it, but I have a question as well. I have the HP Photosmart C3100 All-in-one series, and I've gotten the same error as well. I edited the regedit like you guys said, which fixed the msconfig issue, but I still have a reoccuring problem.

*i23.photobucket.com/albums/b355/tanas0/untitled.jpg

This keeps popping up every so often and it's so aggrivating. I know it has something to do with my HP Photosmart printer, any ideas? It didn't happen until I installed it. :( Help if you can.
What do u mean by "a reoccuring problem"? And what is this screenshot supposed to display?
If u'r using Windows Vista, then search for updated printer drivers & software on HP's site.

mikec557

deback said:
Thanks to the original poster who mentioned this might be an HP PML update problem. Tonight, I updated my HP 8200 Photosmart software. Since then, I've been receiving "access denied" messages when trying to use msconfig and when trying to disable the HPZ12 PML driver when running services.msc (Error 5: Access Denied).

I found the solution in another forum on how to fix the "access denied" messages and how to disable the hpzipm12.exe program from loading automatically when running services.msc (for those having these problems after updating your HP PML software and not from Zone Alarm).

Run RegEdit.

After I did this, I've received no "access denied" messages when running msconfig and services.msc.

After spending a couple of hours looking for a fix, I thought I'd come back here and post the solution in hopes it will save time for others.

Thanks!
Deback

No, I think the thanks goes to you deback. I tried your fix in the quote above it solved my access denied issue. For any who may find this thread, I have never had ZA installed on the computer so it could not be that. But I recently added an HP D7100 series printer and an HP 4850 scanner. After changing the 2 to a 4, noted above, the error message is gone and both the printer and scanner work just fine.

Thanks again Deback

mikec557

arjmage

g_goyal2000 said:
What do u mean by "a reoccuring problem"? And what is this screenshot supposed to display?
If u'r using Windows Vista, then search for updated printer drivers & software on HP's site.
Hi there,

I'm having the same problem that's been discussed so extensively in this post. However,
1. i am running windows xp home (so no secedit.exe)
2. have not installed za
3. don't have an HP printer, or anything HP for that matter.

And I'm not really sure when this problem started because I noticed that distinctive delay when I boot up and there's a 2 minute gap when nothing happens.... and THEN my mcafee loads up, and then the internet etc.

So I figured it was some startup trojan, and looked for it in the msconfig. I found nothing, except this error message. So I replaced the msconfig.exe file using a download from one other forum site... but still the same message. (Even in safe mode).

I know the ZA and HP have been nice fixes to the problem... but I don't know what it could be. I have done nothing recently (as is visible from system restore) except to reinstall my audio drivers (but the boot "delay time" problem was already there).

To put it succinctly... HELP! :cry:

Last edited:
OP
g_goyal2000

g_goyal2000

Youngling
arjmage said:
Hi there,

I'm having the same problem that's been discussed so extensively in this post. However,
1. i am running windows xp home (so no secedit.exe)
2. have not installed za
3. don't have an HP printer, or anything HP for that matter.

And I'm not really sure when this problem started because I noticed that distinctive delay when I boot up and there's a 2 minute gap when nothing happens.... and THEN my mcafee loads up, and then the internet etc.

So I figured it was some startup trojan, and looked for it in the msconfig. I found nothing, except this error message. So I replaced the msconfig.exe file using a download from one other forum site... but still the same message. (Even in safe mode).

I know the ZA and HP have been nice fixes to the problem... but I don't know what it could be. I have done nothing recently (as is visible from system restore) except to reinstall my audio drivers (but the boot "delay time" problem was already there).

To put it succinctly... HELP! :cry:
Have you tried running an antivirus scan? Try using Trend Micro Internet Security 2006. Norton & Mcafee are crap.
How about running some antispywares like ad-aware or spybot, etc.?
If they find something, then the infection must be messing with the rights. Clean/remove them. If it helps, then good. If not, then go ahead.

Try System Restore & restore to the latest restore point. If it helps, then good. If not, then go ahead.

Have u tried this (quote edited a bit):
sakumar79 said:
Try this - create a temporary user with admin priviledges. Try running msconfig.exe in the new user login...

Also, post a hijackthis log so that we can check in case any malware is causing the problem...

Next, look at the events console in the admin tools and see if you can get more info on the exact error...
Did it help? If not, then I'm sorry. I won't be able to help you.

Last edited:

cyclejim

Just wanted to report that I also have the same "access denied" error with the exact same symptoms as the rest of you on my new d7160. I reported it to HPs tech support, this appears to be a long standing bug!

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
ok g goyal i have the exact same problem as u
now what i did was i enabled everything in the services of the msconfig.exe and it told that stupid acces denied error
i restarted my pc and voila, im back to administrator
i think there is a service that recognizes u and stuff and so maybe tats why it dont work just try with my step again its no harm

OP
g_goyal2000

g_goyal2000

Youngling
entrana said:
ok g goyal i have the exact same problem as u
now what i did was i enabled everything in the services of the msconfig.exe and it told that stupid acces denied error
i restarted my pc and voila, im back to administrator
i think there is a service that recognizes u and stuff and so maybe tats why it dont work just try with my step again its no harm
I don't know if it really is a solution. But hey, if it worked for you, then maybe it'll work for others.
But make sure that u're disconnected from the internet or any network before enabling all of the services cos many of them will invite viruses & stuff if u're not disconnected.
I can't verify it's authenticity cos I haven't had this problem since then.
If others' problem gets solved with this solution, then yes, it'll be authentic.

I take no responsibility & won't if something wrong happens with your PC due to the tips & solutions posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom