About Ssd and Hard disc

A_ashish_A

Journeyman
I'm planning to buy a 128/250gb ssd and a 2/3tb hard disc for my desktop. Plz suggest both components within 12k range. Also I read somewhere that 3tb hard drive is not recommended as the larger the drive is the more chances of failure it has... Its it true? Should i stay away from 3tb? Plz also suggest from where I can get best price (online). Thanx in advance.*

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I'm planning to buy a 128/250gb ssd and a 2/3tb hard disc for my desktop. Plz suggest both components within 12k range. Also I read somewhere that 3tb hard drive is not recommended as the larger the drive is the more chances of failure it has... Its it true? Should i stay away from 3tb? Plz also suggest from where I can get best price (online). Thanx in advance.*

I don't think there is any difference in the reliability or chance for a drive with higher capacity to fall *more* than a drive with low capacity. It's just that the risk of a bigger drive failing is more than the small drive, with the apprant of data that can stored on a single disk.

So if you are really concerned about the protection of data, than you have no other option than to built yourself a RAID 1 configuration with multiple hard drives, or just buy a NAS.

As for the best price is concerned, I think you can either trust Flipkart with the given service, or just buy from Local shop.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
just curios 120GB is enough as primary drive for softwares/OS?

I use many softwares. Visual Studio 2010, SQL Server 2008, Adobe Premiere Pro, Photoshop, Office 2007.. and a lot of small ones. And I have done that on a 60 GB partition. And I am using all that on a PC installed with Microsoft Server 2008 R2 (which takes a lot of space). To add to that I have also installed Ubuntu on a 40 GB partition, and XP (for some tools) on a 20 GB hdd.

So you can see, I can easily manage triple boot on a 120 GB SSD.

Btw, I have tons of games installed on Steam. But I have mapped, C:\Program Files\Steam to a folder in D: drive created specially for Steam (through a process called, "Mount Point"]. And you can do that for each folder, or even complete Program folder. So there is no reason why a 120 GB SSD should be less if you just want to install OSes on it.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
120GB is adequate. I use HyperX 3K 90GB, and I have Adobe Premiere, Office 2007, Office web expressions, Windows live writer/ move maker, skype, Filezilla, Steam with HL, HL2, HL: EP1/EP2, TF2, Metro 2033 and few more games, followed by Batman: AC lying around and some more stuff, 6-8GB worth of junk somewhere and approx 10 GB I have to spare with Windows 7 Ultimate. So... yeah. It should do the job. You can always get another 840 120GB and have a RAID setup in the future, should you have the need to do so. I reviewed only the 250gig version of non pro and 250gig version of pro version.

Top Bottom