A8N-SLI Deluxe Motherboard Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

game_dev

Broken In
I bought an A8N-SLI Deluxe Motherboard. I connected an AMD Athlon64 3200+ & Kingston DDR400 1GB (512x2) RAM to it. I connected all the power connectors to the board & also the connectors on the front panel. Everything was done according to the manual. The SMPS is of 450W. Harddisks were not installed. Graphics card is XFX GeForce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3 PCI-Ex & was connected to the blue slot on the motherboard.

Now the problem :
After connecting the above & rechecking the connections, I pressed the switch on the panel. Immediately(even before the POST), a spark appeared on an IC (or power transistor) on the motherboard. I immediately switched off the power.
Now, when I turn on the motherboard, all the fans(CPU, GPU & chipset) rotate but the system does not give any response. Nothing is displayed on the monitor nor the speaker gives any beeps. :cry: :cry:

The part which sparked :
*img158.exs.cx/img158/1863/mb0zz.jpg

Notice the black thing to the left of the blue jumper.

Why this should have happened?? Is it a Defective piece????

funkymonkey

Journeyman
oh my dear god.
That is power mosfet blown. And no idea what it has taken with it.
This happens when backside of motherboard gets shorted due to improper mounting.
The problem for you is there is no warranty on burned components so most probably you wont get the replacement for this motherboard.
And please dont give this motherboard to anyone who will claim to replace that chip for you.
Is this Indian bought or you got it from abroad.
If it has taken something else with the mosfet its gona be one expensive repair job.
I can help you regarding this. I know guys at rashi who are my friends and they may be able to repair your motherboard.
If you need any help let me know, I would be glad to help.
This mobo will be needed to be diagnosed by professional and step by step debugging.
Same thing happened to me with my P4C800-E deluxe motherboard. same way mosfet and power transistor b lew but it took the northbridge and memory controller with it. And cost of replacement was soo high that i could get brand new P4P800 deluxe for the same.
feel free to post here or PM me. I will help as much as I can.

funkymonkey

Journeyman
and yeah keep ot off, dont try to turn it on again and again.
If its one of the voltage controlling Transistor it will end up damaging something else.

OP
G

game_dev

Broken In
Thanks for your reply, funkymonkey.

I had checked the top & bottom surface of the motherboard. No metallic & nonmetallic particles were present. As an added precaution, I had placed a paper below the sponge to increase the insulation.
I have purchased the board in India.

funkymonkey

Journeyman
where do you live?
Look at the box of your motherboard.
Does it have rashi sticker on it? And do you have bill?
If you have bill you will be charged less for repairs.
By the way it dosent need much to cause such short ckt. Placing paper wont guarantee proper insulation. Only proper way to do this is use rubber spacers at the leg of the screw holes.
If you need any assistance regarding repairs and where it can be done let me know. The only place this can be done safely is mumbai through rashi dealers.
If you live in mumbai you can come to me and I will take you to the Rashi, I know couple of people there. And i tell you if you call them you wont get proper answers ;)
Or if you live outside mumbai you will have to ship motherboard to them with proper papers.
This usually takes anywhere from 2-4 weeks normally.
If rashi guys refuse to accept repairs then also I know a guy who can help you regarding IC replacement. But before that your motherboard will need to be checked by people at rashi to assess the damage.
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom