A very basic RIG for my 7 year old son

ankush28

Bazinga
The early you start it's better.

There are two aims for what I have said
1. aim is to teach "how to think in computers language"
2. aim is to get him "accustomed to coding" so by the time he gets to college he can convert his idea s to CODE.

of the STEM subjects only S and M are available to him. Encourage him to solve some simple math problems by using the PC.

Use "python" as language (cause it's relatively easy to learn & syntax s are some what open/loose), you need to actively participate in this.

By the way "DONT FORCE IT IF HE IS WEAK IN MATH". Then concentrate on his maths first.

You are correct but for this 12-14 will be more appropriate age.

sameerdatta

Broken In
@Ashish- Thank you so much. I think both of them are around GC Avn/Chandni. I used to purchase from Eastern Logica but it too became pricy now. Can you give the direction of your store (Nearest Land Mark)? How is RMA of Gigabyte in Kolkata?

try Computer Media, 14/2 Old China Bazzar St. Ph 2210 1024 / 1025. Owners name is Kamesh Gupta and remember to haggle with him. I own a hardware business and he is one of my suppliers.

sukiblr

Right off the assembly line
My son is now studying in class 3 under CBSE. As a part of his academic curriculum, the computer has been introduced and as usual he is after my laptop now. So I must give him a basic computer to perform his work as well as light weight gaming. Now I have an old 80 GB Hard disk at my stock and have a secondary 24 inch LCD TV with VGA input capability. I have sorted out the following using my limited knowledge--

1) A second hand INTEL CORE 2 DUO 2.33 / 4M / 1333 ( E6550 ) PROCESSOR from EBay

2) New cooler + heat sink ( Original Intel CPU Cooler FAN + Heatsink Socket LGA775 or Cooler Master, Brand New intel Pinless CPU Fan for socket 775, with heatsink) Confused between two, Is the original worth almost double the price compared to CM product?

3) New Gigabyte GA-G41MT-S2PT Motherboard from Flipkart

4) New Corsair DDR3 4 GB (1 x 4 GB) PC RAM (CMV4GX3M1A1333C9) from Flipkart

The total budget is coming around Rs(1500 cpu+ (600/400) cooler + 3900 MB + 2500 RAM)= Rs.8500/8300.
I am concentrating on MB-CPU-RAM only. I know socket 775 is EOL but any combination with socket 1155 pulling my budget to almost double ( Not interested in i3 as it is a Na Ghar ka na Ghat ka IMHO).
Kindly comment and suggest. I have no objection to AMD if the combination is better and within 1-2k (maximum) of this budget.

-----------

When you construct an entry level rig, like the one you are keen on, basic necessities will chew up a good chunk of the budget.

I'd typically be thinking of AMD’s top A10-series Trinity-based APU, a Socket FM2-equipped motherboard and there are some good ones from MSI, Biostar and Asrock available. Some of them have inbuilt sound and this will help you save on an additional sound card.

About 4 GB of RAM (find a dual-channel kit). Get yourself some least-expensive 3.5" hard drives like maybe WD's Blue-series. A reliable SMPS, 300 W should do, Make sure the SMPS you choose gives you reserves for a future mid-range graphics upgrade.

And of course get him an Internet security suite for sure :)

Top Bottom