A very basic RIG for my 7 year old son

bukaida

In the zone
My son is now studying in class 3 under CBSE. As a part of his academic curriculum, the computer has been introduced and as usual he is after my laptop now. So I must give him a basic computer to perform his work as well as light weight gaming. Now I have an old 80 GB Hard disk at my stock and have a secondary 24 inch LCD TV with VGA input capability. I have sorted out the following using my limited knowledge--

1) A second hand INTEL CORE 2 DUO 2.33 / 4M / 1333 ( E6550 ) PROCESSOR from EBay

2) New cooler + heat sink ( Original Intel CPU Cooler FAN + Heatsink Socket LGA775 or Cooler Master, Brand New intel Pinless CPU Fan for socket 775, with heatsink) Confused between two, Is the original worth almost double the price compared to CM product?

3) New Gigabyte GA-G41MT-S2PT Motherboard from Flipkart

4) New Corsair DDR3 4 GB (1 x 4 GB) PC RAM (CMV4GX3M1A1333C9) from Flipkart

The total budget is coming around Rs(1500 cpu+ (600/400) cooler + 3900 MB + 2500 RAM)= Rs.8500/8300.
I am concentrating on MB-CPU-RAM only. I know socket 775 is EOL but any combination with socket 1155 pulling my budget to almost double ( Not interested in i3 as it is a Na Ghar ka na Ghat ka IMHO).
Kindly comment and suggest. I have no objection to AMD if the combination is better and within 1-2k (maximum) of this budget.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
take a look at intel atom kit(processor+mobo combined in a single design,size less than an A4 size sheet,no need for cpu cooler).just add 2gb DDR3 laptop ram,hard disk(only sata),psu(even cheap 500-600 one will do fine) & you are good to go.

P.S.off topic but i wouldn't suggest having net access to a system meant solely for kids(or anyone under 18).if they want net access let them use it on your pc in front of you & teach them the do's & dont's of online world.also don't give in to their demands & get them too many or advanced games.simple bird shooting,puzzle solving,tetris type games are enough at this age.

OP
bukaida

bukaida

In the zone
Thank you. There is no question of net access as I am using wifi ADSL and the computer will be in another room. However the atom processor will not be able to play games (except the basic versions) as well as running windows 7 (they are being taught) very efficiently(We have a PS2, and Galaxy TAB, so he will not be satisfy with basic games). How about the following combinations on AMD platform @6.5K from FK?
1) Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2PT Motherboard
2) AMD Athlon II X2 270 Processor

It will be a all new one. Will it be better than core2 duo combination mentioned earlier?

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
you are correct about games but i have used windows 7 on an intel atom 1.6GHz system with 2 gb ram & it works fine.if you are going to buy a dual core processor then forget about AMD as no dual core from amd is a match for intel pentium G2xxx series.cheapest intel pentium dual core should cost ~3000 & will be much more powerful & power efficient than any amd dual core processor & intel core2duo.pair it with gigabyte H61 mobo(cost 3000-3800 depending on model) & it will be a good basic usage system even for adults.

ASHISH65

Technomancer
Intel G2020 - @3.8k

Gigabyte H61 d2h @3.2k

This is much faster than any amd dual core and also core2 duo

OP
bukaida

bukaida

In the zone
you are correct about games but i have used windows 7 on an intel atom 1.6GHz system with 2 gb ram & it works fine.if you are going to buy a dual core processor then forget about AMD as no dual core from amd is a match for intel pentium G2xxx series.cheapest intel pentium dual core should cost ~3000 & will be much more powerful & power efficient than any amd dual core processor & intel core2duo.pair it with gigabyte H61 mobo(cost 3000-3800 depending on model) & it will be a good basic usage system even for adults.

How about this combination then

Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2H Motherboard

and
Intel G2010 Processor

I have never used the AMD Platform before. So a little bit hesitant about shifting from Intel.

@ Ashish-- Can you give the price reference because in Flipkart, they are charging much more.

Last edited:

ASHISH65

Technomancer
How about this combination then

Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2H Motherboard

and
Intel G2010 Processor

I have never used the AMD Platform before. So a little bit hesitant about shifting from Intel.

@ Ashish-- Can you give the price reference because in Flipkart, they are charging much more.

Flipkart is always overpriced.Local prices are much lesser than that

you can get products at lesser price at kolkata local stores like mdcomputers,vedant computers ..etc

OP
bukaida

bukaida

In the zone
Should I spend Rs.900 more and go for Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H Motherboard because in future if the price of i5/i7 comes down, I can go for easy upgrade without changing much? What do you suggest?
P.S- My DAD has agreed to pay 1/3 of the cost as the rig is for his grandson just now over the phone:). So I can stretch the budget 1-1.5k more.

@Ashish- Thank you so much. I think both of them are around GC Avn/Chandni. I used to purchase from Eastern Logica but it too became pricy now. Can you give the direction of your store (Nearest Land Mark)? How is RMA of Gigabyte in Kolkata?

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
Get the B75 motherboard from Gigabyte as it offers better feature set also like USB 3.0 ports.

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
1 x HDMI Connector
2 x USB 3.0 Port
3 x SATA3 6Gb/s Connector
1 x S/PDIF-OUT Header (HTPC FUTURE USE)

add in a
ram 2.5k
case + psu(no name <450W ) 0.9-k

5+2.5+1=8.5k

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
The early you start it's better.

There are two aims for what I have said
1. aim is to teach "how to think in computers language"
2. aim is to get him "accustomed to coding" so by the time he gets to college he can convert his idea s to CODE.

of the STEM subjects only S and M are available to him. Encourage him to solve some simple math problems by using the PC.

Use "python" as language (cause it's relatively easy to learn & syntax s are some what open/loose), you need to actively participate in this.

By the way "DONT FORCE IT IF HE IS WEAK IN MATH". Then concentrate on his maths first.

Top Bottom