A Strange Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

k_mridul

Broken In
Due to some unknown reasons some of my favourite software's installer files got converted into 16-Bit DOS format Application file and now whenevere i tried to run these files a command prompt window flashes stating "The program is too big to fit in the Memory".I have two Questions to ask
1. Why this problem occurs, i mean, why they get converted into 16-Bit DOS format App. file at the first run?
2. Is there any solution to this problem and to convert them back to Win32 Programs?
My PC Config is P4 2.4 HT, 256MB DDR-RAM, 80GB HD,Combo drive, OS-WinXP Pro with (SP2).
The Problem Occurred in JetAudio 4.17, Nero6.6.01, WinRAR 3.3,Word Web, Rediff Bol 7(Alfa), etc.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
k_mridul said:
Is there any solution to this problem and to convert them back to Win32 Programs?

Try this and see if it works...

First soln:

Try reinstalling the ms dos thing.
Goto start>run .In the open box type: "cmd".
at the comand promt, type in the follwing commands and press enter after each command:
expand CD-ROM drive letter:\i386\config.nt_C:\windows\system32\config.nt
expand CD-ROM drive letter:\i386\autoexec.nt_C:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt
expand CD-ROM drive letter:\i386\command.com_C:\windows\system32\command.com
Exit

Now try reinstalling.

Second soln:
If the above doesn't work...

In notepda type in:
dos=high,umb
device=%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\himen.sys
files=40
save the above with name "config.nt".

now again open a blank document and type the following entries:
@echo off
1h %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\mscdexnt.exe
1h %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\redir
1h %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\dosx
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T3

save the file as "autoexec.nt".
Now locate the "config.nt" file and copy it to the %SYSTEMROOT%\system32 folder.

Do the same with autoexec.nt and command.com and restart...

Just try that and tell if it works.

OP
k_mridul

k_mridul

Broken In
Thankyou drgrudge

but this doesnt solve my problem.

drgrudge said:
Now try reinstalling.

i am bit confused that whether to reinstall WindowsXp or the software creating problem or the ms dos?
if its ms dos then pls tell me how to?

and if its for the softwre i must remind you that the installer file(.exe) is got converted into 16-Bit dos Ap. file and to use that file i hav to first convert(recover) it back to Win32 App. File, and that was my priority question.

pls ans the question as soon as possible.

OP
k_mridul

k_mridul

Broken In
After searching the forum i found my problem is different from others "16 Bit Subsystem problem"

Others are trying to execute 16-bit prog. on winxp-sp2 and facing the problem,
but in my case i am trying to run normal win32 app. but the file first got converted into 16-bit dos file and then giving error msg that "program is too big to fit in the memory"

my question is why this convertion is happenning and how to recover back the file in win32 program?

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
I think you are infected with a virus .. Try these online scans :
Panda ActiveScan
Stinger
Symantec System Check

Or you could post your HijackThis Logfile for better assesment of your problem.

dreams

Gracias Senor
i am not sure abt this geek.. but try.. wat ever exe files u hv tht is supposed 2 b chngd to 16 bit.. rite clk on it and choose properties and u can c a TAB called compatibility.. change thos settings accor to the choice and try running the appln.. hope this resolves ur prob..

..nJoy..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom