A small little motherboard query

Status
Not open for further replies.

goobimama

 Macboy
I want to upgrade my machine. Was thinking of getting that Pentium dual-core 1.8Ghz CPU (E 2160) + Motherboard. Now the thing is I might want to soon upgrade that to a C2D (of maybe 2.66Ghz or so). Will the motherboards be compatible? Which board should I get?

Also, how silent are these C2D machines? I hate noise while watching movies and my Pentium 4 is acting like a whiny b**ch. The E4400 one I have at the office is not exactly silent (although not noisy as well). Maybe I could get some mid-end CPU cooler...

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
not that silent.all C2D intel stock fans have same noise level.u will need to shed some cash on a better cooler- Hyper L3 for 1.2k would be enough.and a silent PSU too!
which motherboard are you buying?

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Get Intel DG33FB with Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 atleast.

Later on, upgrade to Intel Core 2 Duo E 8200.

Where can we buy Cooler Master Hyper L3 for Rs 1,200?

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
which motherboard are you buying?

goobimama said:
Will the motherboards be compatible? Which board should I get?
:confused:

@goobi: Are you looking out for a motherboard which has onboard graphics or a motherboard without an onboard video? Eitherway both will have full compatibility with Core 2 Duo processors & many actually have Quad Core support too.If you want a motherboard with good onboard then go for ABit I-N73HD which has 7-series onboard video support along with HDMI port.If one without onboard video then go for an XFX 650i-Ultra board.

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
Get Intel DG33FB with Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 atleast.

Later on, upgrade to Intel Core 2 Duo E 8200.

Where can we buy Cooler Master Hyper L3 for Rs 1,200?

Lynx-India , Chandigarh
here's the link but the prices are not exactly what he sells at-they are lil less-
*www.lynx-india.com/index.php?productID=175
and some items there are not updated,so dont use this website for a price check

OP
goobimama

goobimama

 Macboy
I already have a 7900GT so I don't need onboard support. PCIe 16x slot necessary. I want the cheapest of the cheap. Not looking for performance at all. Just good build quality. I'm pretty hell bent on getting that Pentium Dual core. It seems pretty 'cool' and gives decent performance (looking for 720p HD playback). I'll upgrade later on (now I have to spend on iPhone :) )

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
I think XFX 630i is better than DG31......it don't hav dual channel, but a single stick of 2GB 800MHz DDR2 will make up to it......

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
What u want is a HTPC, right?

Intel Core 2 Duo E4500. Trust me, this is better then Pentium Dual core for HTPC needs. Use Cooler Master Hyper L3 CPU cooler for a near silent Computer.

Intel DG33TL motherboard. Comes with onboard graphics, Fireport, & everything u will need. Here is a comparision of DG33TL & DG31PR, look yourself & see which one fits your requirment better.

Use your existing graphics card, it is good enough. Do u need a TV Tuner?

We can give u a solid config, but depends on what you want to do with it...plz specify

OP
goobimama

goobimama

 Macboy
I just want the cheapest way to upgrade my machine into a silent, 720p playing machine. From my experience, the E2120 1.8Ghz dual core is capable of doing that and is pretty silent as well. I however don't want to get the 945 board since I might be upgrading the CPU to a C2D some time later. I don't need any performance, SLi, no 800Mhz RAM or anything like that. Just silent CPU + DDR2 + Mobo.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
If all you need is a HTP like setup then go straight for this & later on upgrade the CPU.

Intel Pentium Dual core E2180, runs at 2 GHz & good enough for all your HD needs even upto 1080p when combined with your GeForce 7 graphics card.

Cooler Master Hyper L3 CPU Cooler is a must for you.

Intel DG31PR motherboard, I am using it, it is like set it & forget it motherboard. Everything just works. If u need firewire port or 7.1 channel audio support then only go for DG33TL

Your GeForce 7900GT with Purevideo HD decoder.

Which monitor & speakers will you use?

For cabinet, I would recommend u to go to the market & choose yourself. This is PC market so customisation is the keyword here.

OP
goobimama

goobimama

 Macboy
Cabinet, soundcard sab kuch hai. Using a 24" Dell + Logitech Z5500 + Auzentech Xplosion sound card + 7900GT + Hmm....

And I've come to a realisation that Purevideo HD is a Pure-ly useless thing. Especially for me.

I guess I'll inquire about the DG31PR then...

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
^^dont get DG31PR cuz it doesn't support overclocking(I know you will say I wont\dont\needn't overclock but you might just want to get that extra bit of juice to play 1080p smoothly or something.

If I were you I would get Abit - IP35 E,which costs about 5k straight away.

ABit - I-N73HD,if you are a lil low on cash+it has very-very good onboard video but lacks dual channel support which isn't any big deal at all IMO.It is mATX and is superb for HTPC.Costs about 4k.

really wanna go low and wont spend a penny over 2-2.5k?Biostar GF7050-m7 which is about 2.4k.

they all suppost all c2ds(60nm),check out support for quad cores and 45nm before buying if you need it.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Cabinet, soundcard sab kuch hai. Using a 24" Dell + Logitech Z5500 + Auzentech Xplosion sound card + 7900GT

Goobi, one advice. You got Cable TV or not? Make it a Home theater PC. If u don't have cable then buy Intel DG31PR motherboard with Core 2 duo E2180 CPU or E2160 CPU. Both are good enough for you.

Along with this, buy a Pinnacle Remote kit for Windows Vista. This is only a remote with IR receiver which works to control Windows Media center. Even if u don't use a TV Tuner card, there is nothing better then enjoying the content from 10 feet away & controlling using remote....this will remind u of Front Row :D

^^dont get DG31PR cuz it doesn't support overclocking(I know you will say I wont\dont\needn't overclock but you might just want to get that extra bit of juice to play 1080p smoothly or something..

Trust me, goobi isn't a overclocker :D

Core 2 Duo E2180 even at stock speed is good enough for his HD needs

Last edited:

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
^^yay,i trust everyone on this but still the potion should be kept open.

if you really wanna know,Intel mobo's absolutely suck.build quality my foot,........dont get me started on this.

Abit makes some of the best mobos around and that ABit - I-N73HD is like 100 times better than your intel whatever whatever.

OP
goobimama

goobimama

 Macboy
Along with this, buy a Pinnacle Remote kit for Windows Vista. This is only a remote with IR receiver which works to control Windows Media center. Even if u don't use a TV Tuner card, there is nothing better then enjoying the content from 10 feet away & controlling using remote....this will remind u of Front Row
This I like. I'll get this when I get this.

And yeah, I have absolutely no intention of overclocking. If I need better speed, I can always get that C2D 8xxx series ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom