A Rig for Virtualization

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odaniyil

Right off the assembly line
Hi,

I want a high end system which can support 3 - 4 Virtual Machines(at least 2 gigs of ram allocated to each VM) simutaneously. I would like to start with 8 Gigs of RAM but with an option to upgrade in future. I am also totally confused on
1. The type of cooling solution that I would need.
2. The power supply unit requirements for such a machine.

I would appreciate if someone can provide info on what should be the config that I should choose(Processor/MotherBoard/RAM/HDD/PSU/Cabinet).

Your inputs are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Anuj

acewin

Point Blanc
Virtualization performance increases with the number of cores.
And you would like atleast like 2 HDDs(as per suggestion of what I had read for virtualization)
on which OS do you wanna run your virtual machines.
not sure if there is anything like better motherboards for especially virtualization.
Have you tried to run any virtual machine on any system earlier. and have knowledge about it. Please share your infos.

OP
O

Odaniyil

I am planning to use Win2K8 64 bit or Linux 64-bit as my base OS.
Yes, I have used Virtual PC/Virtual Server and VMware (on Linux and Windows). What I am looking for is to select a Motherboard with a clear upgradability path(in terms of RAM). I was wondering Intel's S5000XVN but the board itselt is costing more than 25K plus.

Regards,
Anuj

acewin

Point Blanc
bro you are talking about server based setup, Xeon processors and motherboard for same

I hope when you are talking about win2k8, I hope you got registered OS, if that is the case you can think alot many things.

Last edited:
OP
O

Odaniyil

Yes,Win2K8 is a proper licensed version. I am just looking out for possiblities that I can have for me to start with a system with 8 Gigs of RAM and be able to add more RAM in future. I am also hoping to limit my system cost to under 75K for now.

So, what is your take on the config that I would need to go for.

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
if u want future upgradability then its best to go with Core i7 920 based rig,u'll be able to upgrade to 24Gb of total sys ram if reqd.also u can upgrade cpu if reqd.
but cost will be very high.it overshoot ur 75k budget.
only mobo,procy & 6Gb of DDR3 will cost u bout 50k (mobo will be MSI X58 Platinum for 17k).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom