A question about BearShare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Please have a look at this screenshot:
*img19.imageshack.us/img19/8705/bearshare2wu.jpg

This is the bar that is displayed at the bottom of the BearShare 'Downloads' screen. I want to know a few things about it?
1. There are three speeds on it. I suppose that (in this screenshot) the download speed is 160 KBPS, upload speed is 117 KBPS and connection speed is 277 KBPS - am I correct?
2. What does the '3.5 GB in 307 Files Shared' mean?
3. What does 6/13 signify?
4. What is '488,493'?
Please address these queries!
And is there any hack to speed up downloads even more in BearShare? Any general tips for a newbie like me? :)

abracadabra

Journeyman
okay the basic thing of every software program is learn by viewing their Help File. It helps better than you posting it here.

160Kbps is Kilo-bits-per-second. Please do not use the capital "B" over ther. it completely changes the term to Kilo-Bytes-per-second. 1 KB = 8 bits

160Kbps is u r download speed. If u have a fast connection it wul remain unaltered.
117Kbps is u r upload speed. That is the speed at which u other peers are downloading from u r system the file that you have shared. Its better to keep the upload speed at a low or infact turn sharing completely off.
277Kbs is the combined speed of download + upload

It means that you are currently sharing 3.5 Gb of data of you hardisk with other peers. Simple if peers are searching for a file and you seem to have it, the peer will connect to your computer and start downloading.

6/13 it means 6 of the 13 files are currently downloading.

i guess that is the total number of peers connected around the world (a bit doubtful abot it)

Speed hacks soory i dunno

47shailesh

Security Exp
abracadabra said:
okay the basic thing of every software program is learn by viewing their Help File. It helps better than you posting it here.

160Kbps is Kilo-bits-per-second. Please do not use the capital "B" over ther. it completely changes the term to Kilo-Bytes-per-second. 1 KB = 8 bits

160Kbps is u r download speed. If u have a fast connection it wul remain unaltered.
117Kbps is u r upload speed. That is the speed at which u other peers are downloading from u r system the file that you have shared. Its better to keep the upload speed at a low or infact turn sharing completely off.

It means that you are currently sharing 3.5 Gb of data of you hardisk with other peers. Simple if peers are searching for a file and you seem to have it, the peer will connect to your computer and start downloading.

i guess that is the total number of peers connected around the world (a bit doubtful abot it)

BEARshare connects to Gnutella network and @abracadabra ur correct figure '488,493' is numbers of peers ur connetected in Gnutella n\w.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
abracadabra said:

Thanks a lot for that! It really helped.
I have one more doubt. When BSNL says that the connection speed is 384 Kbps, do they mean kilobits or kilobytes?

ashfame said:
@ aryayush
u can try installing bear share acceleration patch (1.07MB)
I have read user opinions on Download.com that it isn't of much use.

abracadabra

Journeyman
if they were to specify it like this

384 Kbps = 384 Kilo Bits per second else if they were to give it like this
384 KBps = 384 Kilo Bytes per second.

Ya it will of course be Kilo Bits Per Second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom