Status
Not open for further replies.

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
Hi Guys I'm a total noob in the field of Open Source i.e Linux, so
would really appreciate ur help if u guys Help me out. I've left a 60GB raw unpartitioned space on my HDD and want to install Linux on it. So I did went through my Linux installation video of CBT Nuggets but they showed
RedHat installation and that too very old one so it wasn't of much help so here it goes:
  1. What's best distro of Linux for beginners that allow us to experience both the GUI and CUI capabilities of LINUX?
  2. Where to get it?
  3. I've got Ubuntu 7.10 from Digit's Dec 2007 DVD. Should I stick with it?
  4. How to install it?
:oops: I know I've bit here more than I can chew but for experienced guys like u problem would be few, so please help!:)

ray|raven

Think Zen.
What's best distro of Linux for beginners that allow us to experience both the GUI and CUI capabilities of LINUX?

Ubuntu 7.10 or Linux Mint if you dont have Internet access.

Where to get it?

Both can be downloaded, Ubuntu also ships free cds, shipit.ubuntu.com

I've got Ubuntu 7.10 from Digit's Dec 2007 DVD. Should I stick with it?

Yes, as long as you have a working internet connxn.
Ubuntu doesnt come with multimedia codecs bundled, so you'll need net access in-order to download them.

Linux Mint is a better choice in the case that you dont have an internet connxn, as it comes with codecs bundled.

How to install it?

Ubuntu is very easy to install,
try this guide : *www.howtoforge.com/the_perfect_desktop_ubuntu_gutsy_gibbon

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
ubuntu 7.10 is a decent noob friendly distro.
mint is also recommended.

If its a live cd then just pop in and it will boot instantly, when the desktop comes u willl see an install icon, double click it.

Installation will proceed, just when the partition scheme comes, select manual partitioning, then create an ext3 partition with mount point "/" and a swap partition.

/ can be of 12GB, swap is jut double of RAM size u got (if u hav much ram i.r. >1GB then u can ignore setting upt swap partition).

for everything else abt ubuntu consider
www.ubuntuguide.org

F

FilledVoid

1. What's best distro of Linux for beginners that allow us to experience both the GUI and CUI capabilities of LINUX?
Theres quite a few you could pick from. Alot of people here run Ubuntu. If you don't have a good internet connection then definitely Mint. Other distros yuo could check on is probably Mandrake , PCLinuxOS , Fedora and OpenSUse I guess. Although personally I haven't used them.

2. Where to get it?
From Magazines, friends, ILUG's and check out in the distro request thread above.

3. I've got Ubuntu 7.10 from Digit's Dec 2007 DVD. Should I stick with it?
if you believe your Hardware is suitable enough to run it and you have access to a good internet connection then sure. Otherwise I would definitely recommend something like Mint if you lack the connection.
4. How to install it?

*help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall

OP
Plasma_Snake

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
Following is my system config:
  1. Intel Core2Duo E6300 1.86GHz
  2. Asus P5LD2VM-SE Mobo (945G chipset )
  3. Kingston 2x1GB DDR2 667MHz RAM
  4. Seagate ST3400620AS HDD (400GB XP installed)
  5. Seagate ST3160215AS HDD (160GB 100GB for Backup, 60GB RAW are kept for Linux)
  6. Asus EN7600GT 256MB DDR3 with SM 3.0
  7. Samsung Dual Layer DVD writer
  8. Samsung Bordeaux 26" LCD TV as Display(Max res 1360x768 )
  9. Creative T6060 5.1 speakers
  10. Logitech Keyboard-Mouse Combo
  11. BSNL HOME 900 UL plan (UT Starcom UT300R2U Modem)
  12. XBOX 360 remote for gaming
Now I know this system can run Linux, its just that earlier I didn't know how to install it and went ahead and thus faced Display problems.

Last edited:
F

FilledVoid

Following is my system config:

1. Intel Core2Duo E6300 1.86GHz
2. Asus P5LD2VM-SE Mobo (945G chipset )
3. Kingston 2x1GB DDR2 667MHz RAM
4. Seagate ST3400620AS HDD (400GB XP installed)
5. Seagate ST3160215AS HDD (160GB 100GB for Backup, 60GB RAW are kept for Linux)
6. Asus EN7600GT 256MB DDR3 with SM 3.0
7. Samsung Dual Layer DVD writer
8. Samsung Bordeaux 26" LCD TV as Display(Max res 1360x768 )
9. Creative T6060 5.1 speakers
10. Logitech Keyboard-Mouse Combo
11. BSNL HOME 900 UL plan (UT Starcom UT300R2U Modem)
12. XBOX 360 remote for gaming

This is a system is good enough to run any distro int he market :D.
Now I know this system can run Linux, its just that earlier I didn't know how to install it and went ahead and thus faced Display problems.

Could you explain the problem you ran into ? Did it boot up at all? Did you install the Restricted Drivers?

The only problems I could forsee
1. Getting it to dual boot. It sometimes becomes a pita to get it to boot if you have more than one disk.
2. Configuring the 26" display of yours correctly. usually you can fix this by fixing your xorg.conf file.
3. Having problems with your display card. Although I seriously doubt it. If you do you could always run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg.

Anyway post the problems you have and someone might be able to help yo better.

OP
Plasma_Snake

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
What's Hardy Heron?:confused:
Nothing initially it showed that the "display server shutdown 6 times in last 90 seconds. This must be bad so will try again after two minutes". Next time I tried it just showed some 3 or 4 lines with OK selected and nothing happened for 5 minutes so I thought "**** THIS ****" and rebooted my system normally using windows and decided to install Vista instead on RAW partition but later my mind cooled down and decided to stick with the plan and with the Open Source Community.;)

ray|raven

Think Zen.
^Hardy Heron is the code name for Ubuntu's next release 8.04 .
And did you try booting in safe graphics mode?

F

FilledVoid

Dude better wait for hardy heron then download ubuntu gusty
I fail to see any logic in this . Please explain why one should wait for hardy to download Gutsy :s.

Also check these threads : *www.linuxquestions.org/questions/u...een-shutdown-6-times-in-90-seconds...-504744/
*answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/27825
*answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/17748

ray|raven

Think Zen.
No didn't try that, will do.

Try booting through safe graphic mode, coz you've got a nvidia card i guess, and it needs restricted drivers, not present on the cd, for proper functioning.

And you might wanna try Mint, Coz it comes with restricted drivers bundled.

And BTW nice pic of Maggie Q ;)
Thanx :p

I fail to see any logic in this . Please explain why one should wait for hardy to download Gutsy :s.

:p

Last edited:

NucleusKore

TheSaint
You can try Open SuSE 10.3
And refer this post for a hassle free multimedia setup
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84586

hullap

Cyborg Agent

Also check these threads : *www.linuxquestions.org/questions/u...een-shutdown-6-times-in-90-seconds...-504744/
*answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/27825
*answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/17748
loll sorry i made a type,
Dude better wait for hardy heron then download ubuntu gusty
actually i wrote then instead of than

OP
Plasma_Snake

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
Today I tried to install Open SUSE 10.3 GNOME from Digit Nov.2007 DVD.
Initially the setup ran but it gave this error message "Package cracklib-dictfull is broken.Integrity check has failed." There were 3 options available, Abort, Ignore, Retry. Since I don't know much about Linux so I aborted the installation. Also since I've left a 60GB RAW unpartitioned space for Linux, so when it installs is it gonna automatically configure installation area to be that unpartitioned space or do I have to do that manually?:-(
Please help, Nucleus Kore gimme link to the thread where u have given step by step screenshot of OpenSUSE 10.3 GNOME installation. :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom