A newbie's guide to Overclocking a Athlon XP CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

anusoni

Broken In
WEll the hunt begins tuesday then !
Thanx for all ur replies ! altho' i came here to solve a few problems, i have my own problem(quite different i might add) solved !

kunal

Right off the assembly line
HEY DARKIE, DID YOU TRY O/C YOUR ATHLON-64, LEMME KNOW....I was thinking of buying a 64FX, infact I may buy this month itself........any LAN party games on the anvil? lemme know......IM stuck with a Athlon XP-2000+ with an a7v8x this month

darklord

Cyborg Agent
kunal said:
HEY DARKIE, DID YOU TRY O/C YOUR ATHLON-64, LEMME KNOW....I was thinking of buying a 64FX, infact I may buy this month itself........any LAN party games on the anvil? lemme know......IM stuck with a Athlon XP-2000+ with an a7v8x this month

Athlon 64 FX ....reallyy????????? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

What board?

Reply soon i am very curious.

Give the Price too. :lol:

No LAN parties planned as yet.Will inform when done. :wink:

djang

Right off the assembly line
If you wanna find out the processor speed, codename,L1 & L2 cache of your amd processor try downloading this tool
*www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/cpuinfo.exe

anishcool

TE God
Hi Everybody,

I am a newbie in here. Actually this is my first post. I've been a longtime Digit subscriber but had no time to check out this gr8 place. I know what i've missed now ! I hope i'll get acknowledged by the masters of this forum:Dexter, The Mask, Darklord etc.

Speaking bout overclocking i overclocked my junk PIII from 450Mhz to 1.1Ghz. As far as the config goes It's so old that i don't eben know the chipset, however it was a Baby-AT motherboard, had 64MB SD RAM (133 Mhz). I installed four more fans and cut holes in the cabinet for cooling. It runs WinNT and Red Hat Linux with a 80GB HDD and I have lent it to a friend who uses it to host his websites, and has even installed a gigabit ethernet contoller. The Icing on the cake of this system A 9800PRO. Believe it or not My friend has actually installed one for his gaming purposes with a 17" mon as he says it performs better than his PIV !!!!

I am just left :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers !

aadipa

Padawan
P3 450? that was the first P3 introduced by intel, so mobo will hardly have 8x AGP to compliment 9800Pro.

450 to 1.1 is a good job :)

anusoni

Broken In
anishcool said:
Hi Everybody,

I am a newbie in here. Actually this is my first post. I've been a longtime Digit subscriber but had no time to check out this gr8 place. I know what i've missed now ! I hope i'll get acknowledged by the masters of this forum:Dexter, The Mask, Darklord etc.

Speaking bout overclocking i overclocked my junk PIII from 450Mhz to 1.1Ghz. As far as the config goes It's so old that i don't eben know the chipset, however it was a Baby-AT motherboard, had 64MB SD RAM (133 Mhz). I installed four more fans and cut holes in the cabinet for cooling. It runs WinNT and Red Hat Linux with a 80GB HDD and I have lent it to a friend who uses it to host his websites, and has even installed a gigabit ethernet contoller. The Icing on the cake of this system A 9800PRO. Believe it or not My friend has actually installed one for his gaming purposes with a 17" mon as he says it performs better than his PIV !!!!

Cheers !
P III 450 to 1.1 ??? wow are u serious ? which motherboard u got ?
my 450 (the same the first PIII that intel introduced.) used to hang the system even when i clocked it to 800 something MHz !
gotta tell me which board u have ?

darklord

Cyborg Agent
anishcool said:
Hi Everybody,

Cheers !

P3 450 MHz to 1.1GHz???????
If youdont know,P3 chipsets did nothave working PCI/AGP locks so ithink that kinda overclock isnt possible.What is the vcore at 1.1 GHz? Also what kinda cooling did you use anyways?

Why not post a screenshot ofyour achievements?

anishcool

TE God
darklord said:
P3 450 MHz to 1.1GHz???????
If youdont know,P3 chipsets did nothave working PCI/AGP locks so ithink that kinda overclock isnt possible.What is the vcore at 1.1 GHz? Also what kinda cooling did you use anyways?

Why not post a screenshot ofyour achievements?

I dont understand what you mean by PCI/AGP locks. yes the mobo does have a 4x AGP slot. its one of the very first intel motherboards that was released for P3. the whole system was assembled in taiwan, and imported by RP Tech. the bios also has been flashed many times so i exactly cant tell you what bios it uses. the mobo manual does not give any details abt the manufacturer.

i dont have a digital camera so screen shots not possible. the cooling is nothing at all. i have taken off the cabinet casing and my gr8 freind has kept it in his office n directed the air con blast onto it !

darklord

Cyborg Agent
I dont understand what you mean by PCI/AGP locks.

By PCI/AGP locks i mean to say that when you increase the FSB ,the frequencies of PCI & AGP buses remain the same and dont increase proportionally.P3 boards lacked this capability so increasing FSB insanely leads to increasing these frequencies proportionally and might damage your AGP/PCI cards eventually.

the whole system was assembled in taiwan, and imported by RP Tech

Why was that done? :roll:

i dont have a digital camera so screen shots not possible.

I am asking you for a screenshot of CPU-Z, this is a software,run it and it gives you whole system info.

To take screenshot, just press alt+prtscn keys and ctrl+v on paintbrush,acdsee....
thats all. :wink:

anishcool

TE God
no i luckily did not have any PCI/AGP cards ! had onboard graphics and an external modem. the pc was one of the very first P3's bought in india. i dont know whether it was really assembled in taiwan but the boxes and all the components and the pc assemblers manual read in bold letters "Made in Taiwan" i will give you a screenshot of CPU-Z as soon as my exams are over !

darklord

Cyborg Agent
no i luckily did not have any PCI/AGP cards ! had onboard graphics and an external modem

I guess then you had not connected the Hard Disk too. :lol:

the pc was one of the very first P3's bought in india. i dont know whether it was really assembled in taiwan but the boxes and all the components and the pc assemblers manual read in bold letters "Made in Taiwan"

Your motherboard and other components must have been manufactured in Taiwan,nothing new, even today the best of computer hardware is made in Taiwan.
Everything is imported here and assembled here.
Looks like same is the case with you. :wink:

anishcool

TE God
no darkord, i know that all the best stuff is made in taiwan but i am telling you, this one was assembled in taiwan. sorry can't post CPU-Z result as t does not support NT. the machine has been clocked down to 780 Mhz now. we never used it at 1095 Mhz, we just booted into win 98se. i guess that's an accomplishment in its own way !

Cheers !

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
Well here's my config first. Am only posting the relevant components:

AMD Athalon XP 2600+ Barton (can be OC'ed to 3 ghz)
Asus A7N8X-E deluxe mobo
512 MB hynix 333 mhz RAM
BFG Geforce 6800 128 MB CARD

the rest I dont think is relevant. Anyways heres what I got upto till date. When I got the processor it was clocked at 166 mhz x 11.5 so my processor was running at 1900 Mhz. I got it upto 174 x 11.5 with just increasing the FSB. Ran all the benchmarks worked fine. When I got upto 178 the OS booted abut the benchmarks started giving issues and also later on the OS crashed cos I was messing with my graphics card as well (comes with a software to OC ur graphics card). The best thing was that when it rebooted I got an info on the screen that the cmos has been reset due to instability and well its back to 166 mhz...not bad...saves me the trouble of keeping my chasis open and resetting the jumper everytime. Right now the vcore is at 1.65 V. But the FSB can go upto 200 mhz and the multiplier can go upto 14 I think. Anyways I dont intend to push it that far now....Maybe in a years time when I know I'll need to upgrade to 64 bit processors.

My questions are :

1) Is it advisable to OC ur graphics card and the processor at the same time. This leads to some frequent crashing.

2) And can they be OC'ed together at all ?????!!!!

Any other advice would be much appreciated.

My 3DMark 03 scores at the moment is 8323 .... Let me see how far I can push it...

darklord

Cyborg Agent
1) Is it advisable to OC ur graphics card and the processor at the same time. This leads to some frequent crashing.

Yes it can be done,it wont cause any problem whatsoever.

2) And can they be OC'ed together at all ?????!!!!

What exactly are you asking?

Any other advice would be much appreciated.

A Pro OC'er needs no advice. :wink:

My 3DMark 03 scores at the moment is 8323 .... Let me see how far I can push it...

That score is a dream for me. :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom