A newbie's guide to Overclocking a Athlon XP CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
T

TheMask

@ TechEnclave
Hi Akshay, if it is a Intel Original motherboard, then u might as well forget OCing. Coz INtel boards are pathetic OCers.

They remind me of my old DFI KT133 mobo that wont boot at all if i increased the FSB more than 108 from default 100...

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
can't i make it 2ghs,i will bring 2 fans and a heat sink,even 108 is still 1.8ghs for me,may be good in the future,how did darklod do so much,can't i even do 200-300mhs.

OP
T

TheMask

@ TechEnclave
Akshay said:
can't i make it 2ghs,i will bring 2 fans and a heat sink,even 108 is still 1.8ghs for me,may be good in the future,how did darklod do so much,can't i even do 200-300mhs.

Darklord's is a very new mobo and very new CPU. The 2.4Cs are the most user friendly Intel chips when it comes to OCing. Plus, Darky's is a Asus mobo and not an Intel one.

But, the best way to know how much u can OC is to try it. Since the Intels are multiplier locked, u have to sitck with FSB OCing. Increase the FSB in steps of 2 and test the system. If ur system wont boot, clear the CMOS and get goin agian.

smnrock

Right off the assembly line
Can i try

Hi Mask,

I have amd 2400 and a7v8x-mx mobo 512mb hynix ddr333
can i try overclocking in this setup ?

OP
T

TheMask

@ TechEnclave
Unfortunately, NO! Ur motherboard has on-board Video, so it will not let you overclock in the BIOS!

But, i am not sure if u r using the on-board Video or if u have a AGP card. Anyways, i have not tried OCing on that motherboard with a AGP card. A friend of mine has that motherboard, but he runs on on-board video. I'll check the OC possibility with a AGP card and will let u know.

It'll take a few days b'coz he's got exams now.

BTW, i wud say A7V8X-MX is the best Value-for-Money motherboard you can get for AMD! and its nice that u have 512MB DDR333 RAM too!

GunshotSilence

Journeyman
my mobo is from vesta andihave a intel 810e chipset

thses r the specs of it:

VMBO-109 (Intel 810E)

Processor - Intel® Pentium® III & Celeron® (PGA 370 Type).

*Chip Set - Intel® 810 (66/100Mhz Front Side Bus) - (VMBO-108).- Intel® 810E (66/100/133Mhz Front Side Bus) - VMBO-109).

*BIOS - Intel® Firmware Hub.- Support PnP, APM, ACPI, ATAPI, DMI.- IDE AUTO LBA Mode Supports HDDs over 8.4GB.- Trend Micro ChipAway Virus Protection.

* Cache - L2 Cache is CPU Built-in.

* Memory - Size up to 512MB. - Two 168-pins DIMMs.

* On Chip Graphic Engine - Integrated 64-bit 3D/2D Graphic Engines (Intel 752 Core).- Hardware Motion Compensation for S/W MPEG2 Decode (DVD).- Dynamic Video Memory Technology and Optional 4MB Display Cache.- Integrated 24-bit 230MHz RAMDAC.- Resolution up to 1600 x 1200.- DirectX6 & OpenGL API Support.- Win 95vxd, Win98/NT5 Mini Port Driver Support.

*On Board I/O - Support Two PCI Enhanced IDEs PIO Mode 3, Mode 4 and Ultra DMA 33/66 Channels. Twin Headers for Four IDE Devices Including IDE HDDs and CDROMs.- Support Two FDDs of 360KB, 720KB, 1.2MB, 1.44MB or 2.88MB. - One ECP/EPP Parallel Port. Two 16550A UART Serial Ports. Two USB Ports. PS/2 Mouse Port. Keyboard Port.

* On Board Sound - Integrated AC97 Controller with Standard AC97 Codec. - PnP, Full-Duplex, Sound Blaster and Direct Sound Ready.- Line-in, Line-out, Mic-in and MIDI/Game Port .

* Expansion Slot - Four PCI Bus Slots.

* Plug and Play - Plug and Play Specification 1.1. - Plug and Play for DOS®, Windows® 3.x, and Windows® 95/98. PC97/98 - PC97/98 Ready.

* Power Management - Support SMM, APM and ACPI. - Comply to Energy Star .Green PC. Program. - Supports WAKE-ON-LAN (WOL).- Suspend to RAM (STR) (Optional).0

* PCI - PCI 2.1.

*VRM - On Board VRM 8.4.

*Battery - On-board Lithium Battery.

*Others - CPU Speed Jumperless, Alarm Wake-up, Bundle .PC-cillin. Anti Virus Software.

*Board Size - 22cm x 18.5cm, Baby AT Form Factor.

so how do i overclock??
if mine is a p3 933mghz and i suppose 235w power?

OP
T

TheMask

@ TechEnclave
Gunshot. If u had read my AMD OCing guide carefully, u wud have known what to do to OC :p

[url=*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=442&start=0 said:
MY AMD OC guide[/url]]
Once you are up and running with your system, it is always better to run the components at their default speed to see if everything works. When you are satisfied with ur system and ready to get more juice out of it, here?s what you cud do.

1. With in the BIOS, increase the FSB in steps of Four.

2. Boot into Windows and check for stability. Download programs such as Prime95, SiSoft Sandra 2004, 3D Mark 2001SE to run some benchmarks and stress the components.

3. When u find it satisfactory, go into BIOS and increase the FSB by four more and repeat the steps 1 & 2.

4. You may do this till your system doesn?t boot. Once your system fails to boot in, you may have to reset the jumper on the mother board to clear the CMOS. (check the manual as to how it is done)

5. Then go back into BIOS and increment the FSB in steps of One from the previous value at which the system booted fine.

6. Run the programs, check for stability

GunshotSilence

Journeyman
but whree do i find the jumpers and how do i recog it??
i got intel's frequency identifier software

and whats incrementof 4??
whats the fsb??

OP
T

TheMask

@ TechEnclave
The speed at which a processor runs is the product of the FSB (Front Side Bus) and the Multiplier.

For a 1700+ running at 1466MHZ, it is FSB 133 x Multiplier 11 = 1466MHz. If u still remember 2nd grade math u will know that u cud increase the speed of the CPU by either increasing the FSB or the multiplier. For a thousand reasons known and unknown, CPU manufacturers, suffice to say INTEL & AMD, lock the multipliers on CPUs. AMD until a short time ago did ship out tons of Multiplier Unlocked CPUs making it the most loved CPU among Overclocking enthusiasts. But for the past month or so, even AMD has started to lock their range of CPUs.

Hope that helps about ur query of FSB.

rock_ya_baby

Broken In
My overclocking queries...

Hey ppl,
I was free in the afternoon today and was getting a little bored so I thought why not screw with the computer, so I decided to try some overclocking... although I have a pretty decent configuration and don't feel the need for any oomphs right now... but still, I wanted to know how far I can go with my CPU.

-------------------------------------------

RIG CONFIGURATION:
-------------------------

Intel Pentium 4 2.4 ghz 512 L2 cache

Stock HSF

ASUS P4PE-X/TE (Intel 845PE) Series

ABOUT THE MOBO:
----------------------

P4PE-X/TE socket 478 Pentium 4 motherboard is based on the Intel 845PE chipset. Supporting DDR400(Overclocking), and FSB800(Overclocking) and an abundance of advanced features, P4PE-X/TE enables outstanding performance and value.

ASUS P4PE-X/TE offers robust overclocking options to maximize system performance.

Flexible CPU Core Voltage Adjustments in 0.025V increments over defaults

SFS (Stepless Frequency Selection) from 100Mhz up to 230MHz at 1MHz increanerts

AGP/PCI Asynchronous Mode with FSB (fixed AGP/PCI frequencies)

ASUS propritary C.P.R.(CPU Parameter Recall)

6 Channel Audio

AGP 8x

10/100 Mbps LAN Support

USB 2.0 Ready

----------

RAM hynix DDR333 256MB ( I think there is one stick in there )

Gfx card: ASUS V9950 GeForce FX 5900 Series ( Delux, I think )

PSU: 350w Stock

CABINET: iBOX

:idea: I have reversed the power supply fan and screwed it back in. In most cases this will cause a temperature drop of approximately 5 to 10 degrees.

OS: Windows XP SP2 beta ( w/ all the sweeeet tweaks applied )

*www.freewebs.com/domain2xtreme/os/v9950.JPG
The AGP card

*www.freewebs.com/domain2xtreme/os/p4pexte.JPG
The motherboard

*www.freewebs.com/domain2xtreme/os/cable030.JPG
*www.freewebs.com/domain2xtreme/os/cable027.JPG
I saw this on some website and applied it to my cables... cool!

-------------------------------------------

Step 1
-------

First I installed the benchmarking and monitoring tools: 3Dmark2001SE, SiSsoftSandra2004, WCPUID, MBM 5.3.5.0

Step 2
-------

I have never flashed any BIOS before, so i thought lets flash! Flashed successfully with p4pe1007.awd

Step 3
-------

Since my mobo has C.P.R feature, I freely increased the values w/ big increments. I only did rigourous benchmarking when I did't get a BSOD ( After 3.1ghz there was no way that it cud have gone any further, at least not w/o some extra cooling arrangements)

Step 4
-------

Increased the CPU EXTERNAL FREQUENCY from auto(133) => 145 => 150 => 173 (stable)

Kept the Vcore to 1.525v till 160, then increased it to 1.550v till 168, then 1.600v for 173 (stable)

Firstly I tried to manually configure the memory frequency from 333 to something greater but the only value available was 363, that was too high, so I set it to Auto. (Anyways as I increased the External Frequency the memory frequency was itself increasing)

The Temperature initially @ 2400mhz was 36-38C => @ 2520mhz was the same => ..... => @ 3098.87mhz was 42-46C (under extreme ALU and Multimedia Bmarks)

:?: Anyhow, what is the optimum temperature for my setup?

*www.freewebs.com/domain2xtreme/os/occpuid31.JPG
WCPUID showing the final stable speed, tested with all the Bmarks for 3 hours

*www.freewebs.com/domain2xtreme/os/mem31.JPG
Memory bandwidth bmark, look pretty to me

*www.freewebs.com/domain2xtreme/os/oc31mm.JPG
CPU multimedia Bmark

:?: Can sum one explain to me why the hell The Float iSSE2 bar did not increased too much after the OC, where as the Integer bar has increased significantly?

:?: Also, look at the 3.2ghz machine its broken all the barriers! mine is atleast running at 3.1ghz and not even close to the given stat, why!?

:?: CPU multiple is locked at 18x right, there is no way one cud increase it,eh?

Did I do something wrong here...or was it good ;)

OP
T

TheMask

@ TechEnclave
one word for ur post - AWESOME!!!

Man, u shud have started a new thread too :wink:

Now, i think i'll get some screenshots too :D

gagandeep89

Broken In
i got xp 2400+ and a gigabyte mobo 7vkmp-p
and radeon 8500LE ( 64 mb ) and 256 ddr 2700
wat do u think wat i can do
cpu is actually new so dont wanna do now but i m really interested
in overclocking it
actually in india if i could get gud fans and watercooling then it
would be gr8
here at my place nobdy knws u cool with ways like that haha

rock_ya_baby

Broken In
Update... 2.4ghz @ 3.11 ghz

Thank you for clarifying my doubts. ( I'm saying this to peeps at TA ;) )

I tested with some more with the values and managed to increase CPU to 3.11ghz ( lol ) but some nice increase in the memory bandwidth, see below

*www.free-webspace.biz/domain2xtreme/feb1_ocmemb311.JPG
New Stable Memory bandwidth

*www.free-webspace.biz/domain2xtreme/feb1_ocab311.JPG
New CPU Arith Bmark

*www.free-webspace.biz/domain2xtreme/feb1_temp311.JPG
The final temp, even after 5 hrs of stress testing (Prime95: 3 hrs; SiSSS Bur-in: 2 hrs

My Settings were:

CPU: 174
Vcore: 1.625v
DDR Voltage: 2.6v (can't go beyond that)
Other DDR settings: 2T-2T-2T-5T (tested by mem86, By SiSSS)
DDR refresh: By SPD (I tried 15.6us but made everything unstable)

-----------

Final CPU speed: 3111 mhz
Mem Bdwth: Int Buff iSSE2 2601 MB/s; Float Buff iSSE2 2611 MB/s (some increase!)
Temperature: 52-55 C (its not going beyond that, YaY!)

Played Prince of Persia all day long w/o any probs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom