A Frustrating Little Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

The CyberShot

Broken In
Dear Digit Forumers,
Hello, I am Vinayak Suraj from Gujarat, India. I have a little problem in my computer system which has been bugging me a lot lately. I would be thankful to you guys if you could check it out.

About a month ago, due to some program (actually, a game) cashing my video driver (ialmnt5.dll) on my Intel 82845G/GL {Brookdale-G} Graphics Controller, the graphics got corrupted on my WinXP installation, so I got frustrated and decided to format my computer (as there were many other problems, such as even though I am the Admin of my PC, I don’t have access to certain parts of the Registry) and reinstall WinXP. I backuped all my essential data to D: from C (WinXP Partition) and formatted the other drives (which included a third 1.8 GB NTFS Drive on my 40 GB Hard Disk). So far so good. Then I booted from my WinXP install disc and after selecting a Fat32 (>4GB) partition, I began installing WindowsXP. But at 33% the installation would stop (as in it wouldn’t move on even after 4 hrs) and I would reboot my computer manually. I don’t think there’s a problem with my Optical DVD/RW Drive as it’s just about 6 months old. After this, I tried Linux and it worked flawlessly, both the Live as well as the Dead (installable) editions. I don’t know what’s the problem. After some days of Linuxing I got back to installing WinXP, but this time after it loads the NTFS driver and says “Setup is starting windows” or something like that, it gives me a weird error:
STOP c0000221 Unknown Hard Error \SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll
I tried almost every possible Hard-Disk tool available on the UBCD (Ultimate Boot CD) you provided on the December 2006 Utilities CD, but it still doesn’t work. I think my Hard Disk’s the culprit, but I still am not sure about it. I read some information on this from an online forum & on its advice; I disconnected my other CD-ROM drive (Samsung) and also changed the jumper settings on my Lite-On DVD-RW Drive and my Seagate Hard Disk to “CS” (as in Cable Select), but still to no avail. I formatted my Hard Disk and filled it with zeroes using a UBCD tool. I even used a tool on UBCD and deleted the MBR of my Hard Disk and then restored it with a Seagate HD Tool on UBCD, but still to no avail. I read on the Internet that Win98 and Win2000 might work on such a system, but I don’t have the CD’s so I can’t try that. Please help me.

======================
Here are my Hardware Specs:
======================

1. My Hard Disk Drive Specs:

Size: 37.27 GB
Total time to write (erase): 1583.50 seconds
Total Sectors: 78165360
Sector Rate: 49362.40 Sectors/Second
MB/sec: 24.10
MB/min: 1446.16
MB/hr: 86769.16
GB/hr: 84.74
*** Info extracted by PC Inspector e-Maxx (on the UBCD) ***

2. My System Specs (From the BIOS):

IDE Primary Master: Seagate ST320015A
IDE Primary Slave: None
IDE Secondary Master: Lite-on DVD-RW SHM-165H6S (Version: HS06)
IDE Secondary Slave: Samsung CD-ROM SC-152 (Version: CA05)
Drive A: 1.44M, 3.5 in
Drive B: None

3. My System Specs (From lshw (GTK+ Front End) on the Parted Magic Live CD)

Motherboard: Micro Star International – MS-6714

BIOS: Award Software Inc.
Version: 6.00 PG (12/31/2002)
Size: 128 KB
Capacity: 192 KB

CPU: Intel P4(1.80 GHz)
Version: 15.1.3
Slot: Socket 478
Clock: 100 MHz

256 MB RAM (DDR)
Slot: DIMM

Intel 82845G/GL [Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device
Vendor: Intel Corp.
Version: 03
Clock: 33 MHz

ATA Disk: Seagate ST340015A
Version: 3.01
Serial: 5LA6L5RN
*** Info extracted by lshw (GTK+ Front End for lshw) from the Parted Magic - Disk Partitioning Tool Live CD ***

I hope all the above information would be more than sufficient for all you geeks out there to sniff out and bust this little but extremely frustrating problem of mine.

Sincerely Yours,
Vinayak Suraj

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I got the same ialmnt5.dll error with my previous mercury 845GL board.
Most of the games hanged after 10 or 20 mins.Though haven't faced problems
when installing XP.

Bought new ram modules & my problem solved forever.

So. I think you should resit properly your Ram modules or replace them if they are under warranty or buy new.

topgear said:
Most of the games hanged after 10 or 20 mins.Though haven't faced problems
when installing XP.

Same here, got the 10-20 mins game hanging problem also on my 915 GM. i suppose intel has started making really inferior quality products. At first i thought i have a special case problem, but it seems others are suffering too.
THATS BAD INTEL, REALLY REALLY BAD! Is anybody listening!!!! :mad: :mad:

Yup, i had changed their order and cleaned them. Also ran the memory test from both linux live as well as the one that comes in vista boot menu.No problem with RAMs whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom