a few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

geekgod

Journeyman
I have a few questions.will be obliged if anyone answers them...

1.what are the structural differences between the filesystems fat32,ntfs,ext3&reiser?i mean fat32 is based on file alloc tables.what are the others based on?

2.what are ports?what actually are the features that makes a serial port,a parallel port or an usb port?

these are all now.will come up with more later

technomodel

Journeyman
ext3 and reiser are journalling file sytems,like jfs&xfs.to understand journalled filesystems u can visit the foolowing link.
*www.linux-mag.com/2002-10/jfs_01.html

u can google for ntfs. i liked the foollowing
*www.digit-life.com/articles/ntfs/

theraven

Technomancer
O MAN
u asked soo nciely its hard to refuse :D
hard to come by
here a few links that might help for file systems
*www.linuxgazette.com/issue55/florido.html
*developer.apple.com/documentation/...mOverview/FileSystem/chapter_8_section_3.html
*kb.indiana.edu/data/advu.html?cust=504657.56953.131

as for ports
SIGH
ok
just look in the back of ur computer
u see all those weird lil things ? some with pins ? some with holes ?
they are all ports
commonly ull see
serial , parallel, ps2, USB ports
and firewire if u have one of the new mobos
PS2 is essentially for kbd's and mice

the rest are for data transfer between different devices
parallel sends/receives data parallelly
serial sends/receives serially ( 1 bit at a time)
next in comparison is speed ...
paralled is slower than serial ..

i dunno how usb transfers data . im sure its serial tho
and its the highest speed among the above ports ...
its in 2 versions usb 1.1 and usb 2.0
the latter is faster ofcourse :p

the next is firewire .. which is blazingly fast
also in 2 versions 'a' and 'b'

besides this u see rj-11 and rj-45 ports as well
rj-11 = modem port, for attatchin telephone line
rj-45 = ethernet port for ur lan network / broadband connection

all are standards and ports are structured acc. to those standards ;)

psappuin

Broken In
Thavean
As far the USB (Universal Serial Bus) is concerned it works on the DMA(Direct Memory Access) and it has seperate power supply for itself from mobo.
Amit :idea:

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
If I may put in my 2-paise worth .....

A port, like an airport or a shipping port, is a point where things come in or go out. In a computer, the things that come and go are data, commands or even a power supply.

A standard serial port has either 9 or 25 pins (most of them unused in a 25-pin connector). The connector or port on the computer is male, i.e., it has pins instead of little holes. When data is sent on a serial line, the little bits go one after the other, one at a time. That is, they go in series, hence the name serial port. It is used for serial mice, some printers, external modems, etc. A serial port is slowest among the standard ports.

A parallel port also generally has 25 points, but the parallel port on the computer is female, i.e., it has little holes instead of pins. Data is transmitted on 8 separate lines so that they can be sent much faster than on a serial line. A parallel port is used for some printers, scanners, etc.

A USB port also sends data in series, but with a different technique than the older serial port so that it is much faster even than a parallel port. It has only 4 wires, one of which carries +5 volts which can be used to power some external devices that do not consume a lot of power. USB ports are used for some mice, printers, scanners, modems, game wheels and joysticks, digital camera, etc. etc.

i_am_crack

HAF 922 Owner
geekgod said:
I have a few questions.will be obliged if anyone answers them...

1.what are the structural differences between the filesystems fat32,ntfs,ext3&reiser?i mean fat32 is based on file alloc tables.what are the others based on?

these are all now.will come up with more later

I will take the first quest and answer to the best....

Fine What is Fat - File Allocation Table right????
Basically Fat is divide into Diffrent categories. i.e.

Fat 8 - > which was invented by IBM for the first time in the history ( I think) for computers to work.

Fat 12 -> Which is basically used for floppies disk ( The floppy disk drive (FDD) was invented at IBM by Alan Shugart in 1967)

Fat 16-> Faster data transaction for speedy interaction with user,.Where MS useses as platform for windows 3.1,.95,98,98se, (ME)

Fat 32-> Not much changes from Fat16 but MS says its much more better than previous... Os like 95,98,98se,me.2000 all versions, xp (home/pro)

NTFS: a lto from *www.digit-life.com/articles/ntfs/

CDFS: Short for CD-ROM File System, the Windows 95 driver for CD-ROM players. CDFS replaces MSCDEX, which was used for DOS and Windows 3.x systems. Unlike MSCDEX, which is a 16-bit program that runs only in real mode, CDFS is a 32-bit program that runs in protected mode. In addition, it uses the VCACHE driver to control the CD-ROM disk cache, which results in much smoother playback.

HPFS: High Performance File System *www.yale.edu/pclt/BOOT/HPFS.htm would help.. you...

Thats alll i know dude...

Have fun and stay cool....

H

h4ck3r

kewl answers...

@pimpom yes as you said (small correction) A VIRTUAL port is just like a pipe through which info goes both ways .. The ports which are most common are SERVICE_PORT format , FTP-21 , finger -79, HTTP -80 ,HTTPS-443, telnet -23 , smtp - 25 , (Popular trojan ports)
Netbus-(TCP port)12345 , Back Orifice-UDP port 31337

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
i_am_crack said:
Fat 16-> Faster data transaction for speedy interaction with user,.Where MS useses as platform for windows 3.1,.95,98,98se, (ME)

Fat 32-> Not much changes from Fat16 but MS says its much more better than previous... Os like 95,98,98se,me.2000 all versions, xp (home/pro)

I would like to correct you here ...
FAT16 was used by Win 95 and FAT 32 was supported from Win98 .. Win98 had a utility to convert the filesystem from Fat16 to Fat32 ...

And from FAT16 to FAT 32 the most important change was support for large drives .. FAT16 can only support a partition of atmost 2 GB ...
Another thing .. FAT16 dont have support for Long filenames while FAT32 have ...

i_am_crack

HAF 922 Owner
it_waaznt_me said:
i_am_crack said:

FAT16 was used by Win 95 and FAT 32 was supported from Win98 .. Win98 had a utility to convert the filesystem from Fat16 to Fat32 ...

And from FAT16 to FAT 32 the most important change was support for large drives .. FAT16 can only support a partition of atmost 2 GB ...
Another thing .. FAT16 dont have support for Long filenames while FAT32 have ...

Hope you won't lock even this topic.....

But win98 can be installed on FAT 16 isn't it??? If you are upgrading from Win 95 to Win98 will the File System changed automatically??? Ofcourse FAT 32 was supported from Win 98 & Win98 had a utility to convert the filesystem from Fat16 to Fat32 .... My mean was to say over fat16 win98 can also be installed.... if i am not wrong.. I accept your 2 point...

regards

imprince

Journeyman
it_waaznt_me said:
i_am_crack said:

u can also use Fat 16 on win98 man :wink:

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
i_am_crack said:
Hope you won't lock even this topic.....

But win98 can be installed on FAT 16 isn't it??? If you are upgrading from Win 95 to Win98 will the File System changed automatically??? Ofcourse FAT 32 was supported from Win 98 & Win98 had a utility to convert the filesystem from Fat16 to Fat32 .... My mean was to say over fat16 win98 can also be installed.... if i am not wrong.. I accept your 2 point...

regards

Hmm.. Your other topics were locked because they deserved so ..

And what I wanted to correct was Windows ME .. Millenium doesnt support FAT16 .. It will tell you right in the setup to convert to Fat32 ...

And while the Filesystems are being discussed , I should mention this page :
*www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm

It will give you more answers ...

OP
G

geekgod

Journeyman
wow thnx.i feel a lot more informed already.:)
btw,that was a gr8 link batty.do any of you use ntfs5?
now regarding ports,what i understood is that there may be two types of ports, the "hard" port,with which devices like modems,printers etc are connected,and the"soft"ports,for communicating with neworks,right?
now my question is that as we connect to networks with lan cards or modems,where do the "soft"ports come in?ie,are they software or port dependant?
also, as it appears,serial<parallel<usb<usb2.0<firewire.does that mean in near future we will see the last two replace the rest?and what is so special about usb?i mean,why is it "universal"?if universal means i can connect any device via an usb port,why is that?
thnx in advance...

theraven

Technomancer
now my question is that as we connect to networks with lan cards or modems,where do the "soft"ports come in?ie,are they software or port dependant?
think of these soft ports as virtual doors
doors for specific things
like we have a loo door for men and a separate loo door for women
well not the best example but it should help
examples of our soft ports are
FTP uses port 20/21
SMTP : 25
TELNET : 23
HTTP : 80
they arent hard port dependent
they are KIND OF software dependent .. that is PROTOCOL ORIENTED SOFTWARE. or rather PROTOCOL ORIENTED SERVICES
the above list are SERVICES .... which are supported by the TCP/IP Protocol SUITE.

also, as it appears,serial<parallel<usb<usb2.0<firewire.does that mean in near future we will see the last two replace the rest?and what is so special about usb?i mean,why is it "universal"?if universal means i can connect any device via an usb port,why is that?
advantages could be sorted in that order
but let us not compare serial and parallel as they are totally different and used for totally different types of devices
serial ports can be used for mice and modems
parallel port generally used for printers and scanners
my guess of callin it UNIVERSAL serial bus is that u can connect any kind of device to it .. ofcourse those that support USB
serial and parallel are already being [hased out
u dun see the ports on an apple machine anyways

what special abt USB is the speed ( 400 mbps for usb 2.0 )
as well as HOT SWAPPABLE PnP (Plug n Play)
remember ur pen drive u can plug and discover and use in xp ? and then just unplug it when u need to carry it ? all without restarting ur computer ?
well thats Hot Swappable PnP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom