A better processor than AMD 4400+

Status
Not open for further replies.

popularbhaskar

Journeyman
Hi All,
I cant convince the moderators till now to open a new QN to ask the same.

I have a :
AMD 4400+ Processor
2* Transcend 800 FSB ram
MB: Gigabyte M57SLI-S4
Nvidia 7200 GS

This is a 570 SLI motherboard but i don't seem to be on games as you can see from my graphics card . ( Dont ask why i bought this mobo coz i dint know what i was upto when i bought this.)

I specially run a number of virtual machines all the time to test some application/OS. I need to get a improved performance and hence i have decided to:

1. Upgrade my 4400+ Processor to a better processor

Can anyone recommend a better processor to go for and suggest if the upgrade will give a considerable boost in performance for the money lost and spent.

-popularbhaskar

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
1) You need another 2Gb of RAM
2) Do motherboard firmware upgrade to support latest processors.
3) Get 7750BE atleast for 3.2k or Phenom II X3 720 for 7.5k.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Go for AMD Athlon X2 7850BE. It will cost u around 4.2k. It is the best value for money dual core processor. Performance wise it is comparable to high end Intel C2D 8400 3Ghz.
Don't go for very high end Phenom II processors. Ur motherboard is a little old and won't be able to support the power req of those high end processors.

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
Increase your ram to 4 gb . I would also suggest 7850 BE. If you would mention your budget we could give you a better suggestion.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
better get 7750BE as there is no difference between 7750 and 7850 except speed.

BTW, if overclocking is necessary, go for E5200 as it goes till 4GHz :)

whatever you do, 7750BE and 7850BE won't be stable above 3.2GHz

ssk_the_gr8

BTW, if overclocking is necessary, go for E5200

he will need a motherboard upgrade for that. He is asking for just a processor upgrade. If you can wait a little. Soon new phenom x2 and athlon x2 will be available. You could go for it.

OP
P

popularbhaskar

Journeyman
Everyone,
Thanks a lot all of you for extending their excellent knowledge on the same.
Here are my details requested:

1. I have the latest motherboard Firmware upgrade.
2. I can go till 5k/6k max for the processor.

3. Processor compatibility list for the motherboard. :
Code:
*www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=2287#anchor_os

I always felt that 4400+ never performed greatly when i work with vmware. I was thinking of settling with 5400+ or something.. but if recommended i can walk a extra step to pay a little more.

Is my motherboard too old for the upgrade? Is it worth waiting a while and replace with a I7 series to become cheap.

-popularbhaskar

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
i7 will never become cheap. If you want performance on budget, go for PHenom II. If you can wait, wait for core i5

ssk_the_gr8

Dont wait for i7 to become cheap. It will be a very long wait. Just upgrade your processor. Buy the athlon x2 7750BE or 7850BE for around 4k.

OP
P

popularbhaskar

Journeyman
Thanks a lot for all your help all.. This help was worth a million and came in at the right time.

So after whats adviced i have concluded with this proc in Bangalore:
1. AMD 7750/2.7GHZ/3600MHZ/2 MB- Rs 3610

2. How about going for Phenom X4 9650 ? It shows up in support list for my board Gigabyte M57SLI- S4
9650 X4 AM2+ - Rs 6750

Will it be worth the money i pay extra coz its almost double price?

Code:
*www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=2539
But it says that :
(Note) If you install AMD AM2+ CPU on AM2 motherbord, the system bus speed will downgrade from HT3.0(5200MHz) to HT1.0(2000 MT/s) spec; however, the frequency of AM2+ CPU will not be impacted.

I cant seem to understand that very much
---
3. I only have 2* 1 GB Transcend value Ram in my PC. Should i Dispose the 2 Gig Ram i have and go for a Corsair XMS2 Ram of 2*2 4GB or can i add another 2*2 XMS2 along with the 2gb ram that i currently have and make it 6GB.

-popularbhaskar

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
yes. if you install any new amd processor on your board, HT speed will decrease.

It's a choice that you need to make.

If you are ready to shell out upto 6k for processor, it's better to wait for some more time and get X3 720. The extra core and huge L3 cache will definitely help in gaming and video/audio processing.

With 7750BE you won't be able to find stellar difference unless you also get a good GPU.

If your budget is a max of 6k for CPU+GPU, you better wait for some more time. as with that budget, you won't find much difference.

My suggestion for you is to change entire config. I had an Athlon 64 3000+ single core processor with HD2600XT and I changed to 7750BE+HD4770 rig (check my siggy) and the difference is huge.

so, save money, make sure you have enough for complete change and go for a new combi.

a budget config for you would be:

1) Intel E5200 or AMD 7750 : 2.9k/3.2k
2) MSI P45 Neo-F or Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H : 5.5k/5.1k
3) Corsair XMS2 2x2Gb DDR2 800MHz: 3k
4) Sapphire/MSI HD4770: 7.2k
5) Corsair VX450W or COoler master extreme power 460W: 4.2k/2.8k

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
X2 7750 @ 2.7k is insane
i bought the same for my frend here in Kerala for 3.2k about one n a haf month ago with a biostar 740 mobo for 3k.

OP
P

popularbhaskar

Journeyman
Desibond and dominator,
That information was definitely helpful. Actually i am not a gamer. I don't get to play games. I am into testing applications and running Virtual machines a lot. I have a Geforce 7200GS card and its more than enough for my needs apparently as i dont play games.
Having considered the opinion that i dont play games do you feel that there would be a great performance boost in my day today processing if i spend about 3K on a new processor. Shall i spend a little more and buy 9650 X4 AM2+ - Around Rs 6750.

My board being a AM2 board is it worth buying a AM2+ Proc for it? what will i lose coz the manufacturers website says- Mentioned in red on my above post.

Kinly help...

-popularbhaskar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom