965 BE or 980 BE

Imperial_Ova

Broken In
Well... previously i was set on getting the 965 BE. But now, i just checked out the 980, and well... im pretty impressed. AND its at the end of its product cycle so its bound to overclock better.

My question is though, do both the CPUs overclock to about the same? Or does the 980 have a better chance at overclocking higher?

Is the 980 even worth the extra money over the 965, when i could invest more in a GPU if i get a 965.

Hmm.. lots to thing about, :/

guru_urug

iGoogle
@OP Pls mention your entire budget and what all do you intend to buy. From your post it seems you want to get a GPU also. So if gaming is the main priority and budget is restricted, then go for 965BE with a better GPU. Heck even 955BE with a much better GPU will get you bttr fps. 955BE is a great overclocker even on air. :grin:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also suggest to get a 955BE - oc it as much as Op can with a good cpu cooler+mobo - save the rest money to buy a better gpu ;-)

@ OP - what's your budget for mobo+cpu+gpu ( now or later )+PSu - also for ocing you need to get a good cpu cooler priced at ~2k or more and not to mention a good PSu as well.

OP
I

Imperial_Ova

Broken In
Well actually, im having a 6870 shipped in from the usa.

Much cheaper than getting it here 0_O, cost me around 9k.

Anyway, i have about ~19k for cpu + mobo + psu + ram

Im getting the "Gigabyte 880GM-USB3" mobo, which is around 5k.

Leaves me with 14k for for cpu + psu + ram.

sukesh1090

Adam young
^^i agree on the fact that 955 ocs better because i was able to go till 3.6GHz with reduced v core from its actual vcore of 1.425 to 1.25:bananana:.so if i go to 1.425 or a bit more may be i will be able to go till 4GHz or more but the problem is the cooler noise and the temperature reaches to sun's core temperature when i give it 1.425V.so my suggestion is get 955 and CM hyper 212 plus.total cost will be 7.5-7.7k.

sukesh1090

Adam young
^^there are lots of people who has done it.you can go to 4GHz on air with c3 revision.but for that you need a good after market cooler like the one i have mentioned above.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

get these ;-)

Phenom II X6 1075T @ 9k
Seasonic S12 II Bronze 520W @ 3.5k
Gskill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9S-4GBXL @ 1.5k

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
I say guy 955 BE and get a CPU Cooler and OC it to 4 Ghz. It will suffice for a VERY long time.

I also wont recommend a hexa core unless you are in Seriously work in PhotoShop or Video Editing or Rendering work.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
1090T BE @ 9k have decent clock speed - can be OCed with a good cooler and packs some serious performance boost both in gaming and applications and with future multi core optimized games it will perform much more better.

With a good gpu 1090T and 980/975BE will perform neck to neck ;-)

cpu bound game settings :

*images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4955/41710.png

*images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4955/41709.png

*images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4955/41707.png

*images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4955/41705.png

*images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4955/41704.png

now gpu bound game settings :

*images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4955/41713.png

*images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4955/41708.png

*images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4955/41706.png

in highly threaded apps :

*images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4955/41695.png

*images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4955/41698.png

*images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4955/41697.png

*images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4955/41699.png

source : AnandTech - The Bulldozer Review: AMD FX-8150 Tested

so 1090T BE is a much more future proof cpu but if still OP wants to get a 955BE then he should get a good cooler like Cm Hyper 212+ @ 2.1k and a 120mm fan along with it - this cooler with 2x fans will be enough to keep the cpu cool when OCed ;-)

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
are all the stock coolers starting from 955 BE to 1100t same?

If 955 BE can be OCed to 975 BE with stock cooler then in which case exactly we need an Aftermarket Cooler?

Last edited:

sukesh1090

Adam young
^^yes all the coolers of phenom II processors are same.if you want to go to 3.6GHz or more you will need aftermarket and another problem with this cooler is noise.you are using it so you must felt it.

OP
I

Imperial_Ova

Broken In
yeah, not really inclined toward hexacore processers, by the time i do need an upgrade, Piledriver would've hit the markets. And hopefully, they're a bit better than the current Phenoms. Lmao. Or, i'd just jump to the intel bandwagon!

And yet again, im not inclined to getting an after-market cooler right at the mo, if i could invest in a better processor. So.... any more suggestions? Or did this convo just hit a dead end? :/

Thanks for the tips so far guys! ^_^

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
1090T BE is better than any Phenom II X4 cpus and even core i5 2500k in Heavily threaded apps and at 3.5Ghz OCed clock speed with stock HSF it offers some serious performance in games and in any other apps you want to throw at it.

You can go for Intel but a K sku cpu and a decent mobo alone will cost more than 20k and you'll need to get a better cooler as well - leave alone ram and decent PSU.

So If you want to have a AMD based upgrade then it's best to invest on 1090T BE - this cpu will perform more better with future proof heavily threaded games/apps - it's the most future proof solution you can currently get at your budget IMO.

But 1090T BE Cost = 955 BE + Custom Cooler Cost

1090T BE can Oced upto 3.5 Ghz using the stock cooler - our forum member Cilus has Oced and using his 1100T BE at 3.5 Ghz using the stock HSF 24/7 ;-)

OP's budget is around 14K for CPU+ram+psu. So I don't think 1090T, cpu cooler, ram, descent psu can stay inside the range of 14K. :unsure:

Buddy take a look at the post below ;-)

and with 14k he can easily get this :

Phenom II X6 1090T BE @ 9k
Seasonic S12 II Bronze 520W @ 3.5k
Gskill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9S-4GBXL @ 1.5k

this with Gigabyte 880GM-USB3 easily comes under 19k ;-)

jabber

Broken In
Well... previously i was set on getting the 965 BE. But now, i just checked out the 980, and well... im pretty impressed. AND its at the end of its product cycle so its bound to overclock better.

My question is though, do both the CPUs overclock to about the same? Or does the 980 have a better chance at overclocking higher?

Is the 980 even worth the extra money over the 965, when i could invest more in a GPU if i get a 965.

Hmm.. lots to thing about, :/

@ OP: Read this before deciding:
My i5-2500k ($225) vs my 1090T ($230) - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

Top Bottom