8x card on a 4x mboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

anuraag_01

Broken In
hi guys,

i am using an 8x GeForce FX5200 128MB card on a motherboard that only has a 4x agp slot. am i missing a lot?? do i need to upgrade my board??

mamba

In the zone
dont worry , ur 8x card will work fine on the 4x slot ( sortta backward compatibility ) .

btw , there aint much performance diff between a card running on 8x n the other on 4x , same as there aint much diff between 1 running on pci-x 16x n the other on agp 8x .

bharathbala2003

why need title?
well it will run for sure as mamba says at 4X speed.. but then.. to extract the maximum ouuta that card i advice u to go for a new mobo.. :D

OP
A

anuraag_01

Broken In
what i actually wanted to know that will just going for 8x instead give me bang for my 3000 odd bucks that i'll spend on the mobo??

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Errr.....well not exactly that much bang as u say.....but well if the Mobo has got Other Built In Feautres like say 7.1 surround support and stuff then will be worth the upgrade but if you are rather satisfied with your current mobo (No Problem and hassels whatsoever) then i say just stick to it for a while and Upgrade later on :wink:

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
if only 8x is a the reason for upgradin mobo , then i suggest not to upgrade , will not make a big difference .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom