8800 Ultra + 1000 Watt Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

GauravCJ

Banned
Tigerdirect has THIS on offer. An XFX 8800 Ultra + a 1000 Watt Power Supply going for 399.99 USD.

How much duty is required for importing this into India?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Dude. Do you really need a 1000Watt PSU?

think about the insanely high power bills.

I would rather get a 600W PSU for 3k + HD4850 for 9k and it would easily beat the 8800 and still will be easy on power bill.

OP
G

GauravCJ

Banned
I doubt the HD4850 "easily" beating the 8800 ULTRA part. They're way close on performance, and there are too many games where the ULTRA (even the GTX) beats the 4850.

See this test.

(Edit: Btw, I'm happy with my rig based around the sapphire 4870 512MB, excellent value for money. This one's for my bro.)

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
Well you are paying around 16k for that, right ??

Why not buy 2x9800GT plus a 600W CoolerMaster PSU for 18k :razz:.

Another suggestion that you buy a HD4850 plus a CM600W PSU.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Dude. Do you really need a 1000Watt PSU?

think about the insanely high power bills.

I would rather get a 600W PSU for 3k + HD4850 for 9k and it would easily beat the 8800 and still will be easy on power bill.

Hello, 1000W doesn't mean that u'll be using 1000W, it ,means u'll run things requiring upto 1000W(don't worry, not gonna happen for us ppl).

And if your PC uses say 350W, then only 350W will be used.

A good PSU is really good since it's future proof and ppl usually don't change cabinet and PSU with just Graphics and CPU update.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
yeah. you may not use that full 1000W. Then what is the use.

600W is more than enough for today's hardware unless you pick four SLI cards :)

Moreover, all these h/w companies are trying a lot to bring down the wattage of their products.

If you take Nehalem/Phenom/HD48xx series/9xxx series. They are lot better than yester years hardware.

Even for 8800GT, a 500W power supply is enough. IN that case, why is the need to go for 1000W SMPS, just because it is 100W???

PS: if you want to use 1000W SMPS, get a cabinet that can hold this coz those weigh around 5kg and most of them come with extra fan at the top.

OP
G

GauravCJ

Banned
Thanks for all the advice, but let's not deviate from the main question. So, can anyone tell me?

How much duty is required for importing this into India?

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
Its around 40-50% of the origianl price I think.

I bought a PSP from Singapore and threw the box there :D. So I 'sneaked' it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom