8600GT 256MB or 8600GT 512MB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
yup . really , thats my plan . i hope it takes the grandma p4 away with it . . .then i can get a new proccy too . ..

src2206

In the zone
sagargv said:
i have a gr8 idea . i'll OC this maximally and play some benchies and somehow burn it . then my pop will get me a new one , say the 8800GT ??

I thought OC voids your warrenty. :confused:

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
I own a ASUS Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT 256 MB DDR 3.
It cost me about 8000 Rs but on the box it is shown Rs 10120/-
I dont have PCI-e slot so I will get my new motherboard today with PCI-e support.

^ On the graphics card's CD, it has Direct X 9.0. I think it is a DX 10 card so it should have dx 10 drivers on the cd. Do i have to manually download dx 10 drivers?

Last edited:

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
@Harry Potter - It has Dx9 cause that'll help if you install it on XP. To run it for DirectX 10 games, you obviously need Windows Vista which has it (DirectX 10) by default. There is no Dx10 for XP. :)

src2206

In the zone
Hi QwertyManiac

Will these DX10 cards will be compatible with future upgrades of DirectX? If not, then is it really wise to spend thousands of rupees on DX10 cards?

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
it wont b fully compatible . but dx10.1 will have minor changes , so not many games will demand that in the next 1-2 yrs ..if u own a dx9 card now , no point in changing . if u're buying a new one neway , a dx10 maybe better . ofcorse , if u intend to change the card again within a year , 7900GS will b better than 8600GT .

src2206

In the zone
I do not own any PCIe card for now, it is my X3000 on board graphics that feeds the Graphics needs of my PC. I am planning to get one. One of my good friend advised me to get 8400GS from XFX as that will be a great value for money, considering the fact that if I need to replace, least investment will go to drain.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
8400GS isnt for games . .wats ur budget ? for today's games 8600GT is almost forming minimmum for decent gaming at 1024x768.

src2206

In the zone
Not much...preferably within 5k. Do you mean that I can't play any games with 8400GS in 1024x768 setting? Not that I play a lot of games..and I am not at all a gamer. I play games occasionally just as a stress buster.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
8400GS performace is damn low . . better to slightly extend ur budget and get a BIG / XFX ( check temps if u do ) 8600GT GDDR3 ( not ddr2 ) which costs abt 6.2k. if u dont mind playing at lower res then 8400GS will b fine. .

mumbaiite123

Right off the assembly line
i think nvidia sparkle is as good as xfx and msi at a much better rate...think abt it..!!
i've been using it for some time now and i knw its a big hit in europe and aus...recently come to india !

bikdel

Alpha Geek Banned
^^^ ive had really bad experiences woth sparkle cards....

@ src 2206...

your onboard x3000 is already sufficiient of ur not a heavy gamer....

check this to see what games run on ur gfx *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60232

anywyas 8400gs over x3000 wont be much of an upgrade...

buying a card then look for no less than XFX built 8600 GT 256 mb ddr3

src2206

In the zone
Hello bikdel

I have been using this X3000 for less than a month, and after the latest upgrade of the driver, it seems quite good for an on board one. I also think that 8400GS will not that good of an investment over X3000. I have inquired at a shop today and they told me the following price:

XFX 8400GX- 2550/- + tax
XFX 8600GT- 5850/- + tax

8600GT is with DDR3 mamory.
But it also seems that in long run neither of these cards are good enough to provide decent future proof cushion (even for a very casual gamer like me). I also came to know about a new card from nVidia stable to be launched on 31st of this month. If I am not mistaken, 8600GT will go down further in price, if the new card get some success (or even if not).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom