80k Budget for a Powerful System for Testing

krinish

Journeyman
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Will Install VMWARE, and will install several instance of Windows (AD/Mail/DNS/Web Servers). This is for learning.
Casual Gaming, Not Hardcore gaming. Have played Halo in the past and love it, maybe will explore similar themed games. Also Like NFS.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.

Ans: 80 K (can stretch it a bit for a killer system)

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows10 /Linux Ubuntu Dual Boot

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 1 TB IDE and 250 SSD

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Dont want to buy a monitor, Already have a Dell "17" Monitor and LG Smart TV.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: I will not be needing the monitor and Power Backup(Home is on Luminuous UPS/inverter). I also would not be needing a graphics card, looking for a good processor with a On-board Graphics. But yes I will be watching HD movies on it.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: As Soon as you guys help me out with killer Spec'd system.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I have built Desktop before, but would like folks at SP road build it for free, Knowing its a big buy.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Bangalore, Yes i am ready to Buy online, provided it is offered at lower price than SP Road.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Which shop would be the best at SP road, who will have all suggested parts by ur selves available and who can assemble it for free at shop?

ssb1551

Technomancer
How many VMs do you intend to run? If the number is more than 5-6 I have read on the net that FX 8350 might be better suited for the purpose. Although in single core performance FX 8350 will lose to i5 6500 as well as in gaming. But seeing how Gaming isnt on the top of your list you can go for FX 8350. In fact I had a similar dilemma couple of months back. I went through a number of threads in Anandtech and Tomshardware and most people there suggested FX 8350 for more than 5/6 VMs. So I have made 2 rigs - 1 for Gaming based on i5 6500 and GTX 1060 6GB and other AMD wherein I'll upgrade the CPU to FX8350. I'll wait for other forum members to suggest.

OP
K

krinish

Journeyman
I would be running 3-4 VM's and not more than that. Ive had AMD Processors in the past and have been satisfied with its processor, but want to use Intel CPU's. Thanks for this insight.
I am looking at i7 CPU, and in future may add a graphics card and very much want to future proof for next 2-3 years.
Thanks for your suggestion, greatly appreciated.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Budget - 56K

CPU- Intel Core i7 6700 -23000,
MOBO- Gigabyte B150M-D3H-7000,
RAM- Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) 2400MHz -5000,
SMPS- Seasonic S12II 520w -5500,
Keyboard/Mouse- Logitech G100s Combo -1500,
Cabinet- Antec GX300 -3500,
HDD- WD Caviar Blue 1TB -3500,
SSD- Samsung 850 Evo 250GB -7000.

Total Cost: 56,000.

Buy Seasonic PSU from amazon.in or overclockerszone.com

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
K

krinish

Journeyman
Budget - 79K

CPU- Intel Core i7 6700 -23000,
MOBO- Gigabyte B150M-D3H-7000,
RAM- Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) 2400MHz -5000,
SMPS- Seasonic S12II 520w -5500,
Keyboard/Mouse- Logitech G100s Combo -1500,
Cabinet- Antec GX300 -3500,
HDD- WD Caviar Blue 1TB -3500,
SSD- Samsung 850 Evo 250GB -7000,
GPU- Zotac GTX 1050 Ti 4GB -13500,
Monitor- LG 22MP68VQ-P 22" LED IPS -9500.

Total Cost: 79,000.

Buy Seasonic PSU from amazon.in or overclockerszone.com

Working or playing games on 17" monitor does not do justice or on any TV since its resolution is not good like a real monitor.
Also since you have budget, hence I suggested both 1080p GPU & Monitor.

Thanks for the suggestion. I do have a 19" Monitor and i am not looking at buying one now, same with GPU as well. Just want to make sure The MB I buy is future proofed to add GPU in future as well.

I have sent emails to pimegagbg and Golchha for best quotes.

Whats the difference with B150M and Z170 ?

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Thanks for the suggestion. I do have a 19" Monitor and i am not looking at buying one now, same with GPU as well. Just want to make sure The MB I buy is future proofed to add GPU in future as well.

I have sent emails to pimegagbg and Golchha for best quotes.

Whats the difference with B150M and Z170 ?
B150 is for non-k skylake processors where as Z170 is for k series skylake processors.

For eg:
B150 - i5 6500
Z170 - i5 6600K

rakeshhkuma90

Journeyman
CPU: Intel core i5 6600
Motherboard: MSI H170 Gaming M3
RAM: 16GB (8GB*2) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2400Mhz DDR4
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V Plus
Storage 1: 120GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
Storage 2: 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD