($800) 40,000 gaming build. Please review

the_conqueror

Ambassador of Buzz
You got exactly opposite, if you get SB then the disabled part will come. I was referring the 2500K. The reason is now a days Intel packs everything like PCI-E Bus, SATA III and USB 3.0 bus etc inside the CPU which previously used to be present inside Motherboard South-bridge chipset.
Now Ivy bridge offers USB 3.0 controller as well as more number of PCI-E lanes or in other words more bandwidth for the external components. If you plug SB then you won't get the extra bandwidth, hence disabling couple of USB 3.0 ports.
Are you sure bro ?
I've seen here that we recommend Z77 mobo + SNB processors. Won't that disable a couple of usb 3.0 ports ? Please enlighten because i'm also gonna buy Asus P8H77-M for my core i5 2500(non k). Sorry for hijacking the thread.

OP
digit1191

digit1191

In the zone
in my mobo ram compatibility list it is given that g.skill F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL model is supported. if i buy F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL will it be supported ? plesae help

OP
digit1191

digit1191

In the zone
oh okay thanks :) i just got a bit worried there when i saw different model numbers on the list.. and just one more question
can i put one stick of 12800CL9'D'-8GBXL and one stick of 12800CL9'S'-8GBXL and run in dual channel? will it support ?

Cilus

laborare est orare
Are you sure bro ?
I've seen here that we recommend Z77 mobo + SNB processors. Won't that disable a couple of usb 3.0 ports ? Please enlighten because i'm also gonna buy Asus P8H77-M for my core i5 2500(non k). Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Yes, I am pretty much sure, you won't get PCI-E 3.0 bandwidth and couple of features with SB CPU plugged in. But you'll get 4 USB 3.0 ports from Z77 chipset. You will also lose the Thunderbolt feature.
We suggest SB with Z77 for future upgrade path and the price. It will offer all the features of a Z68 motherboard, priced almost same and offers better compatibility for future upgrades.

the_conqueror

Ambassador of Buzz
Yes, I am pretty much sure, you won't get PCI-E 3.0 bandwidth and couple of features with SB CPU plugged in. You will also lose some of the USB 3.0 ports and will get only the ports available for which Motherboard has external USB 3.0 chipset (if Any).
We suggest SB with Z77 for future upgrade path and the price. It will offer all the features of a Z68 motherboard, priced almost same and offers better compatibility for future upgrades.

But pairing a SNB with Z77 would also disable a few usb 3.0, since they too use the integrated usb 3.0 controller of IVB, only high end Z77 boards have a 3rd party one. It'd be good if you give some link for that. Because I'm pretty confused now. I'll cancel the order ASAP.

OP
digit1191

digit1191

In the zone
can i put one stick of 12800CL9'D'-8GBXL and one stick of 12800CL9'S'-8GBXL and run in dual channel? will it support ?

sorry i keep on asking questions

Cilus

laborare est orare
the_conqueror, don't worry buddy, Z77 itself has 4 USB 3.0 port, so you will get them even with SB. But in couple of cases the motherboard does have only one USB 3.0 Hub (2 ports) and the rest of the bandwidth is used to provide a 3rd PCI-E X16 slot with X4 bandwidth.

sorry i keep on asking questions

Buddy, they're same ram, 'D' means Dual channel config ( two Rams will be sold in the package) whereas 'S' means single channel, i.e. one Ram will be sold.

Top Bottom