7900 Gs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anand_RF

Journeyman
Alright here's the deal. I know a good deal about all computer parts except the graphics card since I never owned one, and now, I want one. I ain't got a clue about pixel and vertex shaders and stuff.
I went to a couple of shops and the price for 256 mb 7900 gs PCIE was 15000. Is this card good? Can it hold its own for another year at least?:rolleyes:
Can you suggest any card in the same price range that's better than 7900 gs? My budget is around 15000, not stretchable beyond that.
Thanks for the help.:))

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
The 7900GS may be better than 7800GT and its price is not that bad.

But it would be better if you could spend a bit more and get the 7900GT.

What games do you plan to play and on what settings do you want to play?

What is the rest of your config?

jz2linkinpark

Ambassador of Buzz
sysfilez said:
consider nvidia 7800gt
whaaaaaat?
7800 gt and 7900gt(not gs) cost exactly the same in shops which i have checked,so why get 7800?(or is it just my dealer who is dumb?)
apart from all this,its good to get the ATI 1800xt,its very good for all purposes

OP
Anand_RF

Anand_RF

Journeyman
What games do you plan to play and on what settings do you want to play?
I'd like Max to a-bit-below-max settings playability for atleast a year (games are getting better everyday)
I currently have Pentium D 805, intel d945gtp motherboard, 1 GB ddr2 ram, 250 gb sata2 hdd, 500 w vip power supply and 17" crt - 1280 x 1024
and the usual dvd burner.
What's the approx price of 7900 gt?
I'll check ati x1800 too. Can you quote prices pls?

Last edited:

jz2linkinpark

Ambassador of Buzz
Anand_RF said:
I'd like Max to a-bit-below-max settings playability for atleast a year (games are getting better everyday)
I currently have Pentium D 805, intel d945gtp motherboard, 1 GB ddr2 ram, 250 gb sata2 hdd, 500 w vip power supply and 17" crt - 1280 x 1024
and the usual dvd burner.
What's the approx price of 7900 gt?
I'll check ati x1800 too. Can you quote prices pls?
7900gt is $358 which is rs.16110,i am sure you can stretch your budget this little bit
i think ati x1800xt costs the same but maybe its a little different

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
1) I doubt whether your D805 can give you what you are asking from it, especially, one year is a very long period. I doubt how well you will do with FEAR. please ask some members at techenclave.com/forums whether an overclocked D805 will do the job or not. If you are talking of playing todays games on a D805 which is not overclocked, I don't think it will do the job.

2)1GB RAM isn't enough. You need to get atleast 2GB that too for today's games like FEAR, BF2, I think Oblivion, Quake 4, probably Prey and maybe more. To play all the games at near max settings for another year will need atleast 4GB RAM. What is the RAM speed?

3)A 7900GT or X1800XT in 256mb variants won't do for 1yr at 12X10 near MAX settings. With a 1800XT 256MB you should be able to play most of the games at 10X7 MAX settings or higher for another year except only with Dx9 effects and provided the rest of the system doesn't act as a bottleneck. A 7900GT should hopefully come close to that as well. However there may be few games which these cards won't be able to play with max settings even at 10X7 over the yr. When I say maxed settings I don't mean AA or AF. I mean max ingame but AA and AF is not necessarily included and AA is almost all the time not included.

4)7900GT should be around 17-19k. X1800XT should be 21-24k or up. I would have chosen the 1800XT over the 7900GT had the price been decent, else it makes more sense to go in for a 1900XY by spending a few more grands.

5)358$ is the US Price and not Indian price. Also, that isn't the US price either. In India, GPUs are much mroe expensive, anyway, you get a 1900XT cheaper than 350$ over there.

6)Had you had a dual core(non Celeron class and preferably non 8xx series) and overclocked it by about 20-40% depending upon the stock speed, plus coupled with 4GB RAM and a 7900GT which you volt mod and overclock if possible, preferably 512mb, then what you want may have been almost possible or atleast between possible and impossible.

Last edited:
OP
Anand_RF

Anand_RF

Journeyman
I was actually able to play Prey on this PC. Ok it was only the demo version, but all video settings were turned to max and scrn resolution was 1280 x 1024. No AA or AF coz onboard gfx dont do that. I had a decent framerate except during high-smoke scenes and stuff.
As for RAM, I'll be upgrading that soon to 2gb maybe more.
I know gfx cards dont last long, still I don't need a poor one that just "dies out," like 6600 gt. I think I'll ask for the price of 7900 gt. If it's beyond 17k, I'll have some troubles with my finance ministry (parents:D).
Btw is there MUCH difference btwn gt and gs in 7900? There are no major problems with either right?

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
1)Which system are you talking about?

2)6600GT was a good mainstream card when it was released. What happened to it happens to each card of that level, or worse happens.

3)Consider your 7900GT to be a 6800GT level card a few months down the line, but with only Dx9.

4)Nobody may be knowing exactly about the 7900GS, it is a very new release.

Stalker

Padawan
yeah, go for a 7600 gt.....its pretty gud

btw.....i would advice u not to go 4 a gfx card now, next year dx 10 will be released & so will Dx 10 gfx cards

koolkapoor

Broken In
is there something wrong with my usual dealer?
he is charging 17000 rupees for both 7800gt and 7900gt.is this official or is it just his own mistake?
which one is more powerful:7900gt or 7800gt or7900gs, in how many months can i expect the price of the most powerful of the above to go down?
when will the directx 10 cards come out?when will vista come out?
will games run in the same speed in vista as they do in xp(the exact same configuration)?

Stalker

Padawan
koolkapoor said:
in how many months can i expect the price of the most powerful of the above to go down?
when will the directx 10 cards come out?when will vista come out?
will games run in the same speed in vista as they do in xp(the exact same configuration)?

when dx 10 gfx cards come out, the Geforce 7 series will be outdated, so naturally the prices of these cards will fall
games are supposed to run faster on vista......dunno how true it is
vista will be released in Jan 2007

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
1)The earlier 7900GTs did have problems but that should be solved in the newer ones. Anyway, they are in warranty and even if there is a problem it can be replaced. Also, that was more with higher clocked or box clocked ones AFAIK.

2)7600GT is not a very good card and you will already be forced to paly some of todays games at 10X7 Med what to talk of 3-4months down the line. You can't even play FEAR at 10X7 MAX with soft shadows on even though there may not be any AA or AF enabled! 7600GT is a 6800Ultra level card, maybe a little uper neechae.

3)There is no end to waiting. Had it been 0-3months, it was still understandable to a limit. But waiting for a card that will release after a yr is not a very wise decision as you are anyways supposed to upgrade the card atleast once a yr!

4)7800GT is an absolete card. All these prices are way below the MRP so it is not illegal to charge that price. However a 7800GT is usually a bit cheaper than the 7900GT. Which 7900GT brand is he selling for 17k?

5)Prices should gradually come down but few hundred or maybe thousand two thousand bucks after few months of delay is not worth it. Anything more will make those cards obsolete. In fact by the end of the yr these cards will start to slowly loose their status, or latest the Q1 2007.

6)Most new games should be faster once the bugs are fixed provided you have a system that can easily take care of Vista. This includes 2-4GB RAM and anything between AMD 64-AMD X2 class.

7)Yes, games will run faster.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Well .. see if u can find a X1800XT ... that should be better if not the same as the 7900GS .. otherwise the deal for the 7900GS seems pretty ok ...

OP
Anand_RF

Anand_RF

Journeyman
ok thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll be going to heaven today(lamington road) and see if I can get the 7900 gt. The x1800xt is cool, but I'm prejudiced against ati (no real reason) and it's expensive.
As for dx10 cards, I can't wait for them to release. Even when they do release, they'll get overshadowed by newer cards soon. They'll also cost a bomb. Plus, the 7900 gt is a decent enough card, and I ain't a fan of heavy action games which have the best gfx.
Will post an update this evening. Cheers. :d

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
I would get a 1800XT over 7900GT had they been priced the same.

But, 7900GT can be vlt modded and overclocked a lot giving it a very big margin over the 1800XT. Get the 7900GT with aftermarket cooling and just see your games after that.

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
7900GT is according to benchmarks, mostly faster than 1900GT though you may find the 1900GT in India. Don't buy it IMO.

supersaiyan

In the zone
well nvidia cards can't do hdr and AA at the same time whereas ati can so i would recommend u to buy ati. moreover in the price bracket which u r considering ati has better price/performance ratio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom