6300 or 4300 price/performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

adi87

Journeyman
Hi all !!
I am about to purchase Intel C2D processor with 945/946 MoBo.
My use is MATLAB, Xilinx and other such softwares.
My question is :
Would the E6300 make a huge difference over E4300 in terms of performance, given the fact their cost are 3000 bucks apart.
Also please enlighten me on the difference in 946 and 945 Intel MoBo and wht should i go for.
OR would AMD , being cheaper ( 3800+) be still a better option !!!
I am basically restricted in terms of budget... so guide me accordingly !!
Thx a lot in advance !!!!!!!!!!

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
gaurav_indian said:
Buy 965 instead of 945.
Thats a very bad suggestion considering budget constraints

@adi87
From what I learnt from reading the boxes of mobos while window shopping , 946 is a 945 with c2d support. So use 946 for c2d and 945 for pentium D. I recommend avoiding sigmatel onboard audio. It has sux. I also recommend buying Athlon X2 instead Pentium D. Athlon X2 is very good performance / price when c2d isn't really needed.
I am also curious about 4300 vs 6300

keith_j_snyder2

Rising ApocalypsE
Dude...agreed in terms of pricing but 965 is a good suggestion over 946.This is what we call better choice & future proofing & latest & greatest.Well Go for 4300 over 6300 if the budget is problem but never compromise over motherboard.I suggest go for branded like ASUS,MSI etc. rather than INTEL original (965)motherboard.
I compromised over motherboard once & suffered for 16 months.
Its a lesson & learn from my experience!!

Kniwor

Learner
6300 is the worst value for money of all C2D's in that price range at the moment, an E4300 is actually "better" if u are into overclocking, if not, there's hardly a difference, 3k is not at all justified. I have a 4300 running at 2.93Ghz and can kick ass of a 6600 at stock, spend the extra money to get a 965 Based motherboard.

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
Kniwor said:
6300 is the worst value for money of all C2D's in that price range at the moment, an E4300 is actually "better" if u are into overclocking, if not, there's hardly a difference, 3k is not at all justified. I have a 4300 running at 2.93Ghz and can kick ass of a 6600 at stock, spend the extra money to get a 965 Based motherboard.

I totally agree about the E4300 being kick ass and all. But
Whats the advantage of 965 over 946?
*compare.intel.com/pcc/showchart.as...0,23891,23504,23503&familyID=12&culture=en-US

1. 10 USB ports vs 8 USB ports . If u dont need that many USB ports its useless.
2. Firewire vs no firewire. Do u have devices that need firewire?
3. DDR 2 800Mhz support. But DDR 2 800 Mhz is very expensive. Money spent upgrading ram (frequency but same GB) if spent elsewhere will give greater boost to performance
4. A few 965 have 7.1 support vs 5.1 . Most of the content is stereo or 5.1.
5. Intel matrix storage technology (RAID) not meant for PCs on a budget.

For a mobo on budget I still feel 946 is enough for a c2d processor. I am not saying its futureproof but I am saying that 965 is not significantly more futureproof than 946. If you have to upgrade 946 you would have had to upgrade 965 mobo too anyways. For budget PC there is no futureproofing. Actually, even for High-end PCs too there is no futureproofing. Just save the money for future upgrades or spend it on a cheap gfx card for vista and do some gaming (if you are gamer).

Anindya

In the zone
Friends, adi87 also asked for a equivalent for E4300 and/orE6300 from AMD stable. Even i wanted to know that. Plz give a mobo also with that procy. Also tell whether it will be totally equivalent to C2D or better or worse? Thanks.

Kniwor

Learner
adithyagenius said:
I totally agree about the E4300 being kick ass and all. But
Whats the advantage of 965 over 946?
*compare.intel.com/pcc/showchart.as...0,23891,23504,23503&familyID=12&culture=en-US

1. 10 USB ports vs 8 USB ports . If u dont need that many USB ports its useless.
2. Firewire vs no firewire. Do u have devices that need firewire?
3. DDR 2 800Mhz support. But DDR 2 800 Mhz is very expensive. Money spent upgrading ram (frequency but same GB) if spent elsewhere will give greater boost to performance
4. A few 965 have 7.1 support vs 5.1 . Most of the content is stereo or 5.1.
5. Intel matrix storage technology (RAID) not meant for PCs on a budget.

For a mobo on budget I still feel 946 is enough for a c2d processor. I am not saying its futureproof but I am saying that 965 is not significantly more futureproof than 946. If you have to upgrade 946 you would have had to upgrade 965 mobo too anyways. For budget PC there is no futureproofing. Actually, even for High-end PCs too there is no futureproofing. Just save the money for future upgrades or spend it on a cheap gfx card for vista and do some gaming (if you are gamer).

LOL.. dude , u really need to read up what a chipset is, chipsets dont have audio/USB support etc.. that's all the particular motherboard decides.

There is more to motherboard than USB ports/AUDIO/RAID/Memory standard, the chipset performance matters, 965 also has an improved memory controller, ur DDR2 667 will give u a better performance on a 965.

And about the ram, mention me where you would spend the extra money, wanna know what config I got for myself,
4300 Rs. 5450/-
P5B Dlx wi/fi -
DDR2 1066Mhz ram - 12500/-

guess why? because ram is really important.

about the futureproofing, well, let's just not talk about that, all 965's support quad-core. And how in the world do you conclude, "If you have to upgrade 946 you would have had to upgrade 965 mobo too anyways".

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
@Kniwor
The advice was for the thread starter who is going for budget range. Maybe it looked like whole post was directed towards you. General upgrades would be RAM and hardisk. It will take long time for quad-core to be budget processor and by then anyway mobo has to be changed due to PCIE 2.0 and DDR III etc. I am a gamer and I would have spent the money needed to upgrade the frequency of ram on gfx card and doubling the amount of ram. This would give me way higher framerate. If I had nothing else to upgrade I would have upgraded the ram frequency. Also I have seen in various benchmarks that a 17k mobo and 7k mobo give same performance on games with same config and it all comes down to features like solid state capacitors and noise less heat pipe cooling, LED display, E-SATA, More RAM modules, OCing stability and SLI/Crossfire.
Opinions Vary. PEacE

Kniwor

Learner
adithyagenius said:
@Kniwor
The advice was for the thread starter who is going for budget range. Maybe it looked like whole post was directed towards you. General upgrades would be RAM and hardisk. It will take long time for quad-core to be budget processor and by then anyway mobo has to be changed due to PCIE 2.0 and DDR III etc. I am a gamer and I would have spent the money needed to upgrade the frequency of ram on gfx card and doubling the amount of ram. This would give me way higher framerate. If I had nothing else to upgrade I would have upgraded the ram frequency. Also I have seen in various benchmarks that a 17k mobo and 7k mobo give same performance on games with same config and it all comes down to features like solid state capacitors and noise less heat pipe cooling, LED display, E-SATA, More RAM modules, OCing stability and SLI/Crossfire.
Opinions Vary. PEacE

Let me get this straight, are we still into the budget domain on not. Because if we are, a good 965mobo with OC'ing ability and 4300 will anyday beat ur E6600 with 946, what would u rather get my friend, 965+4300, or 946+6600, tell me?

If budget is not an issue, heck, 2Gb 1066Mhz will anyday give u better framerates than 4Gb 667Mhz, why not get a 965 with 6600 and OC it, rather than get a lousy 946 with 6600, that even a 4300 would beat with moderate OC'ing, and I'm not talking about extra cooling, the stock will do the job. Any 965board has higher features than a 945 one, a guy who spends 17k on mobo is definitely not gonna run it stock, the money is spend for stability purposes at high FSB, u gotta be kidding to say that it's no better than a 7k one.

CadCrazy

in search of myself
Hey guys what about Nvidia 650i motherboard for 5000/- (reviewed this month in chip). They say it has very good performance

keith_j_snyder2

Rising ApocalypsE
My next option to suggest u was the same.What is the model number & brand?Also the ATi or nVidia Chipsets are better than the INTEL original chipset.So it will be better to go for an ATi or nVidia chipset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom